If Manny stays he should play 3B.

wildcard

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Only one reason unless they promised at some point to move him back to SS. Then it would be a matter of keeping their word.

Like the words of other FA's....I Really would like to stay with club X, it's out of my hands it's up to my agents, etc. IMO, a team player says, "Put me where you need me most." In reality, Manny is one of the top 3 3rd basemen....not sure if that would hold true at SS (at least from a defensive aspect).

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We don't know what the roster is going to look like in April. Make the decision when the time comes. I am inclined to think that a happy Manny in a walk year is going to help the team, and it's not like we have a true SS with a lock on the position.

We have a guy who could be an above average overall SS for the next three years if we don’t screw him up by moving him around.   And this is the year to find out what we have in him, IMO.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We have a guy who could be an above average overall SS for the next three years if we don’t screw him up by moving him around.   And this is the year to find out what we have in him, IMO.

Which guy? Beckham? Athletic but erratic. Tampa gave up on him for a reason. I think he has already proved himself to be average. I would love to be proven wrong. I guess thinking past 2018 Beckham at SS may be the right thing to do. Thinking of 2018, I could see good things happening with happy Manny in a walk year.

Unless we pick up a SS in a trade for Manny, Beckham has that position by default until he shows he can't handle it. (I think he can, but that doesn't count.) So Manny stays at 3B if there's no trade, unless there's an injury or some other problem that gets guys moving around the IF. 

I would like to see Manny get some time at SS with the Orioles, for two reasons. One is that Buck should rest the IFs more than he has in the past, and so far Manny is the backup SS. Second, I'd like to see Schoop at 3B to get a better handle on whether that's an option for the post-Manny future. 

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Only one reason unless they promised at some point to move him back to SS. Then it would be a matter of keeping their word.

They can keep their word by moving him to SS after he signs an extension.

Otherwise he should be at 3B. Since everyone agrees he is not going to be with the O's after this season, there is no reason to weaken the team by letting him play SS just because he wants to increase the money on his next contract. 

With all the weight he has gained since he was brought up to the majors, I don't think he could be more than average as a SS. As slow a runner as he is, I think his range would be very limited.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow, folks just don't get it

Manny will move to SS because Beckham isn't and never will be a ML SS. I know that, Buck knows that, everyone in the Tampa FO knows that.

Cmon folks wake up and smell the roses... this isn't rocket science

Haha, webbrick with jokes this morning.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm ok with playing number one draft choice shortstop Tim Beckham at the position every game until he is as good as he can be at the position. Give him a few years. 

Right on, the people criticizing his defensive inconsistencies as a reason to move him off the position fail to see that his bat is an asset at SS and that his range and athleticism allows for him to play average SS defensive even with the mental mistakes. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

What is the benefit to the O's in 2018 for Manny to play SS.?   I don't see one.   The O's do not have a replacement 3B.   Beckham'a best position is SS.   So just because Manny has expressed a desire to play SS should the O's weaken the team to accommodate Manny?  Doesn't sound right.

Manny has 300 million reasons to have a good 2018.   He needs no more incentive.

Manny is not going out of his way to accommodate the O's.   He is not giving a home town discount on a long term agreement.   I  am not saying he should.   He worked to get to be in a position to test the market and if that is what he wants he should do that.   But that does not benefit the O's.  So why should the   O's  handicap the team to benefit Manny's desires to play  SS in his last year with the O's?

I think the O's should do what is best for the team.  And if that means Manny plays 3B.  That is what he should do.  If that means trading Manny,  that is what the O's should do.  If the offers are not good enough  and the best benefit to the O's is for Manny to stay, that i what the O's should do.

o

Not only is it in the Orioles' best interest for Machado to remain at 3rd base, but it is probably in Machado's best interest, also.

The topic of the potential position switch was being discussed on one of the sports radios yesterday, and somebody asserted that shortstop required more lateral movement and agility than does 3rd base ........ and considering that Machado has been healthy since he had both of his knees surgically repaired in 2013 and 2014 respectively, it would probably not be wise to tempt fate by switching his position from 3rd base to shortstop at this point. When Machado has a good year defensively, he is the best 3rd baseman in the league. When Machado has a bad year defensively, he is still the 3rd or 4th best 3rd baseman in the league. Like the old cliche asserts, if it isn't broke, don't fix it ........ and in this particular case, trying to "fix it" may run a higher risk of literally unfixing the player himself.

o

33 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Not only is it in the Orioles' best interest for Machado to remain at 3rd base, but it is probably in Machado's best interest, also.

The topic of the potential position switch was being discussed on one of the sports radios yesterday, and somebody asserted that shortstop required more lateral movement and agility than does 3rd base ........ and considering that Machado has been healthy since he had both of his knees surgically repaired in 2013 and 2014 respectively, it would probably not be wise to tempt fate by switching his position from 3rd base to shortstop at this point. When Machado has a good year defensively, he is the best 3rd baseman in the league. When Machado has a bad year defensively, he is still the 3rd or 4th best 3rd baseman in the league. Like the old cliche asserts, if it isn't broke, don't fix it ........ and in this particular case, trying to "fix it" may run a higher risk of literally unfixing the player himself.

o

I agree with the general assertion and I'm of the opinion he should stay at 3B unless he extends with the O's.  However, the specific knee surgeries he had shouldn't affect lateral movements.

Archived