Could DD be planning on 2 Arms?

pastorfan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, weams said:

Mark Belanger was not particularly swift. 

I think your memory is failing you there.    Belanger stole 10+ bases 9 times, topping out at 27.    Considering how rarely he was on base, those are pretty good totals. He wasn’t a burner, but his speed was well above average.   Buford and Blair had good speed, too.   Frank was only slightly above average but had good instincts and was aggressive on the bases.    The current teams are far more one-dimensional than the classic Oriole teams.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think your memory is failing you there.    Belanger stole 10+ bases 9 times, topping out at 27.    Considering how rarely he was on base, those are pretty good totals. He wasn’t a burner, but his speed was well above average.   Buford and Blair had good speed, too.   Frank was only slightly above average but had good instincts and was aggressive on the bases.    The current teams are far more one-dimensional than the classic Oriole teams.    

Buford and Blair had great speed. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Really. The least of my worries.  Pitching ........ Defense ........ Three-Run Homers ........ not necessarily in that order. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Mark Belanger was not particularly swift. 

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think your memory is failing you there. Belanger stole 10+ bases 9 times, topping out at 27. Considering how rarely he was on base, those are pretty good totals. He wasnt a burner, but his speed was well above average. Buford and Blair had good speed, too. Frank was only slightly above average (with speed), but had good instincts and was aggressive on the bases. The current teams are far more one-dimensional than the classic Oriole teams.    

o

Earl was unquestionably a three-run home run type of manager first and foremost, but he didn't eschew small ball and stolen bases as much as his reputation might have made it appear that he did.

Reggie Jackson was of the greatest power hitters ever. In his lone season playing for Weaver he missed the first month of the 1976 season, and he still set a career-high in stolen bases (28.)

More significantly ........

Between 1972 and 1976, the Orioles finished 5th, 1st (led the league), 3rd, 5th, and 4th in the league in stolen bases, respectively.

They also finished 5th in the league in 1970, and 6th (out of 14 teams) in 1980.

RZNJ started an excellent thread on the subject in August of 2012 which was entitled, "Dispelling the Weaver Myth."

I don't know what happened to that thread, but this was its original link, which is no longer working.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124973-Dispelling-the-Weaver-Myth

o

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I am sure you know at one time Frank did have pretty good speed. He finished in the top 10 in stolen bases 5 times. Even when he first came to the O's he had good speed.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

As I am sure you know at one time Frank did have pretty good speed. He finished in the top 10 in stolen bases 5 times. Even when he first came to the O's he had good speed.

Right.    Even in ‘71 he was probably average.   

Archived