Should the O's Focus on "Retooling" for 2019?

mdbdotcom

Considering how much better the Yankees, Angels and Twins have gotten, the O's have a long way to go to contend in 2018. Would it make more sense to focus on building the 2019 team?

Here are some of the players who will already have jobs or be competing for one when we get to spring training in 2019. I have only included players who will be under 30 years old or still under contract.

Rotation

• Gausman
  • Bundy
  • Harvey

Bullpen

• Givens
  • Scott
  • Yacabonis
  • Cortes
  • Castro
  • O'Day

Catcher

• Sisco
  • Wynns

Infield

• Davis
  • Schoop
  • Beckham

Outfield

• Hays
  • Mullins
  • Stewart
  • Mancini
  • Rickard

DH

• Trumbo
  • Santander
  • Mountcastle

Who have I left out? Obviously, we need a 3B and some pitching, but  is this a team worth building around? Is the glimmer of the next core in there? Or, should we just blow it all up and set our sites a few more years down the road?

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

We want to sign someone I am sure and we may get a couple guys.  The Twins only added Reed so far but have to be concerned if they will lose Sano for a decent chunk of games.

Sano may never play again.

46 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

How have the Twins got better.  I keep seeing that but they have not added anything yet and also have a big cloud over their head with the Sano issue.

They've gotten better since we last went to the playoffs, not necessarily this season. And by playing in a division where three teams are rebuilding, they get to pile up wins thanks to the uneven schedule.

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Considering how much better the Yankees, Angels and Twins have gotten, the O's have a long way to go to contend in 2018. Would it make more sense to focus on building the 2019 team?

Here are some of the players who will already have jobs or be competing for one when we get to spring training in 2019. I have only included players who will be under 30 years old or still under contract.

Rotation

• Gausman
  • Bundy
  • Harvey

Bullpen

• Givens
  • Scott
  • Yacabonis
  • Cortes
  • Castro
  • O'Day

Catcher

• Sisco
  • Wynns

Infield

• Davis
  • Schoop
  • Beckham

Outfield

• Hays
  • Mullins
  • Stewart
  • Mancini
  • Rickard

DH

• Trumbo
  • Santander
  • Mountcastle

Who have I left out? Obviously, we need a 3B and some pitching, but  is this a team worth building around? Is the glimmer of the next core in there? Or, should we just blow it all up and set our sites a few more years down the road?

I'd blow it up. Angelos won't allow that though. IMO 

Archived