If Mussina gets the HOF nod tonight...

SteveA

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Where does it says that he has to have a cy young or a ws ring?

The HOF is a group of the better players.

There is no mistake, Mike was one of the better pitchers in his era, just look at his career WAR, ranks right up there, and he was in consideration several times for cy young, so you penalize him for not winning a cy young?

Where did I say that I think he shouldn't get into the Hall because of a lack of Rings and Cy Youngs?

Interloper was saying the story had everything and I made a joke about how Mike doesn't have a WS ring or Cy Young.

And you suddenly decide you have to defend him?

And here I thought I liked conflict.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where did I say that I think he shouldn't get into the Hall because of a lack of Rings and Cy Youngs?

Interloper was saying the story had everything and I made a joke about how Mike doesn't have a WS ring or Cy Young.

And you suddenly decide you have to defend him?

And here I thought I liked conflict.

Sorry, see Moose's post about fans being irrational! :)

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did you see the part about not being rational and understanding why he left?

Coinciding with that, we as fans want players to hate the opposition as much as we do.  They don't.  Logically, I don't fault Mussina for going to the Yankees.  They gave him a better contract and it was a chance to win a World Series.

But I'm a fan and irrational.  

Did he have to go to the Yankees though? Couldn't he have taken a couple mil less to go to the Dodgers or Cubs? It almost seemed like a deliberate move to antagonize the organization and the fanbase.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Did he get extended at some point during his Orioles tenure ??? 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The only thing Mussina extended was Cecil Fielder's swing in Game 3 of the '96 ALCS.

o

After the Yankees won Game 5 to close it out, Davey Johnson said that in his mind THAT 8th INNING of Game 3 was the turning point of the series, not the Jeffrey Maier interference play in Game 1.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

After the Yankees won Game 5 to close it out, Davey Johnson said that in his mind THAT 8th INNING of Game 3 was the turning point of the series, not the Jeffrey Maier interference play in Game 1.

o

Looking back now, yeah, I'd absolutely agree with that.

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did he have to go to the Yankees though? Couldn't he have taken a couple mil less to go to the Dodgers or Cubs? It almost seemed like a deliberate move to antagonize the organization and the fanbase.

That's what I'm saying though.  Did you HAVE to go there?

But looking back on it, I mean...if you're a ballplayer and don't mind the bright lights and big city...and especially at that time, you had the best chance to win a Series there.  I get why he went.  Still don't like it.  While I don't think Mussina would have flipped the bird to the fans, I think he might have done it to spite Angelos.  

From that perspective....it makes sense.  We'd all like to give that guy the bird.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did he have to go to the Yankees, though ??? Couldn't he have taken a couple million less to go to the Dodgers or the Cubs ??? It almost seemed like a deliberate move to antagonize the organization and the fanbase.

o

He also could have stayed in New York City and gone to the Mets, who also were in on his bidding at the time.

And the Mets were the defending National League champions, too.

Mets Forced to Watch and Wait

(By Jack Curry)

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/16/sports/baseball-mets-forced-to-watch-and-wait.html

o

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

As I recall, he didn’t want to be far from his home in Montoursville, PA.    He’d stated that publicly before he chose the Yankees.    

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

9_9

I mean, the Phillies would have been closer.  Pirates.  Mets, just as close. 

No doubt.    Cubs and Dodgers (mentioned in the post I was responding to), not so much.   

I’m sure that once Mussina decided not to sign with the Orioles, money became the big differentiator between the Yankees and everyone else.    I don’t remember what teams were talking to Mussina, though I think the Red Sox did.    

Archived