Roch's latest blog is seriously depressing

interloper

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/notes-on-starting-pitching-market-contract-talks-and-more.html

1. Out on Arrieta, Darvish, Cobb, Lynn (we knew that, so whatever)

2. Don't appear to be in on Cashner or  Vargas (oh...uhh...wow...)

3. "Internal debate" on Tillman (I hope no one hurts themselves by vigorously debating the shell that remains of Chris Tillman)

4. It may not even matter because the Jays could sign him anyway

5. O's "aren’t close enough in free agent negotiations or trade talks to where they might introduce a new player at Saturday’s FanFest at the Baltimore Convention Center" (cool cool coolcoolcoolcoolcool)

6. "They also aren’t making progress in reaching agreements with second baseman Jonathan Schoop and pitcher Kevin Gausman" (yeah, let's make sure to nitpick a few hundred thousand on two of the most important young players on the team)

7. But hey, Chris Davis has been "diligent" in his offseason work.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/notes-on-starting-pitching-market-contract-talks-and-more.html

1. Out on Arrieta, Darvish, Cobb, Lynn (we knew that, so whatever)

2. Don't appear to be in on Cashner or  Vargas (oh...uhh...wow...)

3. "Internal debate" on Tillman (I hope no one hurts themselves by vigorously debating the shell that remains of Chris Tillman)

4. It may not even matter because the Jays could sign him anyway

5. O's "aren’t close enough in free agent negotiations or trade talks to where they might introduce a new player at Saturday’s FanFest at the Baltimore Convention Center" (cool cool coolcoolcoolcoolcool)

6. "They also aren’t making progress in reaching agreements with second baseman Jonathan Schoop and pitcher Kevin Gausman" (yeah, let's make sure to nitpick a few hundred thousand on two of the most important young players on the team)

7. But hey, Chris Davis has been "diligent" in his offseason work.

Is THAT what you got out of that blog report?????

Not me, and I re read the thing  twice.  In fact, I am very upbeat.  He said it not once, but twice and all you get out of the article is negative head hanging woe is me stuff.

Right there in plain view:  ALL IT TAKES IS ONE PHONE CALL!!!!!!  :bangwall:

Bring on FANFEST!

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Is THAT what you got out of that blog report?????

Not me, and I re read the thing  twice.  In fact, I am very upbeat.  He said it not once, but twice and all you get out of the article is negative head hanging woe is me stuff.

Right there in plain view:  ALL IT TAKES IS ONE PHONE CALL!!!!!!  :bangwall:

Bring on FANFEST!

Lol. I hate this line and he uses it every single year. Of course it just takes one phone call...

...and then the medicals being requested

...and then the physical

...and then the contract terms being hashed out for weeks

...and then the 50/50 chance it gets approved by ownership

After reading Roch's blog I wrote up a post to start a thread but after I read it over it was too depressing to post. 

If this is really were the O's are and  better starting pitching is not going to happen then all the O's are doing is waiting until July to see if they can make better trades for Manny, Britton, Brach and Jones.

Hey, and I am the positive guy, right?

We haven't hit rock bottom yet....this all I need!!!  One phone call, and these medicals but that's all I need, this one phone call, these medicals and that's it.  We don't need one other thing.  Not one other thing.  Well, and this physical...

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After reading Roch's blog I wrote up a post to start a thread but after I read it over it was too depressing to post. 

If this is really were the O's are and  better starting pitching is not going to happen then all the O's are doing is waiting until July to see if they can make better trades for Manny, Britton, Brach and Jones.

Hey, and I am the positive guy, right?

It's bleak, man. And weird. The O's didn't trade their players so they could remain competitive, yet balk at the price to make sure they really ARE competitive, and seem completely taken by surprise at the cost of free agency, even in a year when the cost appears to have plateaued in respect to other years.

They have no good answers for their fans, though Buck tries his best. Their rotation as it stands could be an all time worst in the final year of some of its most beloved modern-day team members (Jones, Machado, Britton, Buck). 

Maybe at some point why this has occurred, but for now it's pretty wild to witness.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's bleak, man. And weird. The O's didn't trade their players so they could remain competitive, yet balk at the price to make sure they really ARE competitive, and seem completely taken by surprise at the cost of free agency, even in a year when the cost appears to have plateaued in respect to other years.

They have no good answers for their fans, though Buck tries his best. Their rotation as it stands could be an all time worst in the final year of some of its most beloved modern-day team members (Jones, Machado, Britton, Buck). 

Maybe at some point why this has occurred, but for now it's pretty wild to witness.

Very well said.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Orioles incompetence at its finest! Look no further!:clap:

And seriously man, Chris Davis has been diligent! That's AWESOME!  Fans should be so excited that Davis is working at his craft in year 3 of his $160M contract.

"The Orioles have the hardest working coaches in the business. Even though many changes each year." Mike Bordick

Archived