Tim Beckham is saying and doing all the right things

Frobby

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earl said get all the shortstops.  I'm hopeful it'll go okay.  Shoot, Manny only got to practice in secret at Bowie, played 102 SS games and two, count 'em two, 3B games in the minors and he played some 3B right off the bat.  I see acceding to his wishes as part of our bid - I doubt we'll succeed but do think we'll make at least an effort for his FA years, with the biggest external wildcard being how much can Gausman/Bundy/Harvey/Givens/Scott/Akin look like a credible pitching core for his prime by next offseason.

The 2018 Orioles are probably a club that should be really aggressive about not wasting bullets by good minor league pitchers.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Earl said get all the shortstops.  I'm hopeful it'll go okay.  Shoot, Manny only got to practice in secret at Bowie, played 102 SS games and two, count 'em two, 3B games in the minors and he played some 3B right off the bat.  I see acceding to his wishes as part of our bid - I doubt we'll succeed but do think we'll make at least an effort for his FA years, with the biggest external wildcard being how much can Gausman/Bundy/Harvey/Givens/Scott/Akin look like a credible pitching core for his prime by next offseason.

The 2018 Orioles are probably a club that should be really aggressive about not wasting bullets by good minor league pitchers.

I think the O's offer is going to be 1 year ~18M.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think the O's offer is going to be 1 year ~18M.

Well, one of the offers will be that.  I think we're only a longshot credible bidder if the 2018 Orioles prove 2017 was a fluke, and agree it's hopeless if the year runs as badly as offseason pundits always expect it to.  If Manny has an MVP caliber cash drive, and Bundy's 80th percentile is Mussina-ish, a lot of the rest is just details.

The Yankees juggernaut, it seems to me, has been built in the successful Buck Orioles image - it's power and bullpen.  Middle relievers have just about caught up to backend starters in overall value, and our bullpen might not be dead yet.  Brach, Givens and O'Day are going to have to work like dogs in the first half, while we see if Harvey, Scott and Britton and can take the baton mid-year.  Those six guys are plenty for a wildcard game even if Bundy and Gausman have to pitch 161 and 162 to chase that 85th win.

10 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Well, one of the offers will be that.  I think we're only a longshot credible bidder if the 2018 Orioles prove 2017 was a fluke, and agree it's hopeless if the year runs as badly as offseason pundits always expect it to.  If Manny has an MVP caliber cash drive, and Bundy's 80th percentile is Mussina-ish, a lot of the rest is just details.

The Yankees juggernaut, it seems to me, has been built in the successful Buck Orioles image - it's power and bullpen.  Middle relievers have just about caught up to backend starters in overall value, and our bullpen might not be dead yet.  Brach, Givens and O'Day are going to have to work like dogs in the first half, while we see if Harvey, Scott and Britton and can take the baton mid-year.  Those six guys are plenty for a wildcard game even if Bundy and Gausman have to pitch 161 and 162 to chase that 85th win.

We're here to win games. I think we'll be competitive if our SP doesn't walk everyone

Beckham spent part of the weekend hosting his third annual baseball clinic for kids 6-14 in the Atlanta area, with special appearances by Chris Archer and Mallex Smith.

“Just being able to use a platform and being able to give back during those times and to allow those kids to be hands on with a professional athlete can play a major impact in their life,” Beckham said, “and I’m happy to be that guy.”

Beckham seemed to enjoy being at FanFest and the function that preceded it, getting reacquainted with teammates and bonding with some of the players who weren’t on the roster last summer.

“I don’t want to feel like the new guy,” he said. “I want everything to flow organically and that’s what we want.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/leftovers-for-breakfast-69.html

On 1/27/2018 at 11:37 PM, Frobby said:

- Went to the O’s Christmas events for charity

- Has been working out with Brady for three weeks

- Is about to do infield work with Bobby Dickerson

- Plans to be in Sarasota on Feb. 11

- Said only positive things about being asked to move to 3B.  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/beckham-on-third-base-im-looking-forward-to-it.html

I’m going to be rooting hard for this guy.

Great thread Frobby. HUGE fan of Tim as well. Bright light in a dim offseason.

This is the second "I'm Rooting for Beckham" thread. But we are all rooting for Beckham, right? I know I am rooting for Tim Beckham. I have rooted for him every day in an Orioles uniform. I even rooted for him when he played for Tampa.

I root for all the Orioles players. Always have. The closest I came to not rooting for an Oriole was Keith Moreland. But of course I was rooting for him, too, because it was 1989 and winning the division that season would have been legendary.

Is there anyone on OH rooting against Tim Beckham? Now that would be an interesting thread to follow.

9 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

This is the second "I'm Rooting for Beckham" thread. 

Actually, this thread precedes the other one by a week or two.   And really the thread title was the point of my thread.    Like you, I’d be rooting for just about any Oriole.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Actually, this thread precedes the other one by a week or two.   And really the thread title was the point of my thread.    Like you, I’d be rooting for just about any Oriole.  

Ah, I see.

He really does seem happy to be with the Orioles. Now, as long as Duquette doesn't do something stupid like sign Moustakas...

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I root for all the Orioles, too.  Just from varying angles.  Like I root for Wade Miley not to come back, ever.

Listening to Scott McGregor talk about him last week, I'd say that is not a worry.  

Archived