Sun: Brady Defends Commitment

weams

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-brady-anderson-defends-ownership-20180127-story.html

"We've been dismissed, sort of, since 2012,” he said. “We made the playoffs in 2012 and were picked to finish last the next year. We usually outplay our predictions, and that can be a good motivator but certainly not the primary motivator. You have to be motivated whether you're picked to win it or picked for last place."

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, weams said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-brady-anderson-defends-ownership-20180127-story.html

"We've been dismissed, sort of, since 2012,” he said. “We made the playoffs in 2012 and were picked to finish last the next year. We usually outplay our predictions, and that can be a good motivator but certainly not the primary motivator. You have to be motivated whether you're picked to win it or picked for last place."

Is he really defending three months of inactivity by quoting the teams success six years ago? Didn’t somebody point out that team had more than two starters. 

20 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I played against Anderson in college so it’s always been easy to pull for a former contemporary. But he appears to carry a lot of water for Angelos. A lot.

And yet he is the only team employee who has been quoted as saying it was a mistake not to lock Manny up long term several years ago.

Does Brady's contract extend beyond this year?  If so he will probably be GM next year.   Perhaps manager as well.   As slow as this team has been making decisions I can't see them selecting both a new manager and a new GM in one off season. especially when no one will be clamoring for the jobs.

I get that predictions can be wrong and we've proven that a number of times in recent years.  But the actual results are we finished in last place last year and have no basically nothing to address it.  You can't claim we're going to beat or might beat expectations when you literally don't know who the majority of your starting rotation is going to be.

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Brady said this in another Sun story: "Personally, I think it's a bit of a losing game to chase your own free agents around, ..."

Yeah, right. Doesn't seem like he felt that way with Davis. 

Or Trumbo, or O'Day.

Thankfully all three of those deals panned out well.

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Brady said this in another Sun story: "Personally, I think it's a bit of a losing game to chase your own free agents around, ..."

Yeah, right. Doesn't seem like he felt that way with Davis.

Or when the Orioles re-signed free agent Brady Anderson after Angelos wined and dined him.

Archived