Don't overlook an orchid while looking for a rose

wildcard

26 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I wish they were making it about somebody we have.  lol.  

I could present an equally compelling argument about almost any pitcher in baseball.  I wouldn’t though because it’d be lazy, faulty analysis, just like the bit about Miranda.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Luke-OH said:

I could present an equally compelling argument about almost any pitcher in baseball.  I wouldn’t though because it’d be lazy, faulty analysis, just like the bit about Miranda.

Good to know.  I will disregard MLB.com in the future...you would think MLB would hire people that knew something about base ball if they were going to feature them on their front page.   But we shall see how it turns out.    Fake news abounds...lol.  

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Good to know.  I will disregard MLB.com in the future...you would think MLB would hire people that knew something about base ball if they were going to feature them on their front page.   But we shall see how it turns out.    Fake news abounds...lol.  

They have some good people, so I wouldn’t go that far, but read the part about Miranda and tell me it’s a strong argument.  

I mean the more I think about it, the more absurd the argument is. I think an article about Miranda maybe being ok or average going forward is aggressive, but ace, that’s full on la-la land crazy.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Castro has the heat. And has experienced the length before,

Bleier has started 134 games counting the minors and winter league.   Castro has started 36 games in his professional career.   I don't know why you would like that Castro has experience more length.

2 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

I think this is an important point. We have to keep in mind that Bleier completed 63.1 innings for the Orioles last season and 23 innings in 2016 for the Yankees. So, he really only has 86.1 innings spread across two years. Even stretching him out in Spring Training, I don't think we would be able to extend his fuel tank to where it needs to be. Nothing wrong with using him as a long man or a spot start where the expectation is for him to get you 4-5 innings (which in reality, is a traditional Orioles' start). I think I could definitely see increasing his workload for the year, but I don't think he would be a rotation solution. 

Even Castro would be a bit of a risk because, while he has experienced more length and experience as a starter, that was at the minor league level and he would probably experience a pretty brutal learning curve converting his stuff into longer sessions rather than bringing the heat for 1-2 innings. We saw last year that he was out of gas in September so, he would be another candidate who would probably take more than one season to get where he needs to be, but also we can't discount the experience factor when it comes to navigating line ups multiple times through. 

And then, just to put the cherry on top, the service they provide in the bullpen is essential because we can't be certain Bundy and Gausman will consistently provide lengthy, quality starts let alone who ever we patch into the 3-4-5. I think for now we are stuck using pitchers who are traditionally starters in that role.

If Bleier pitches 171 inning and 26 start in 2015 I see know reason he should have problem with innings. 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

And meanwhile...MLB.com had this article entitled 3 starters with ace potential...

notice the third guy.....geez.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180127&content_id=265432782&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I’m not buying it.    

I also don’t think Bleier would be a very good starter, but he might be better than some of our internal candidates.   

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think they’d be fortunate if Miranda sticks in the rotation the entire season.

The argument the guy makes consists mainly of the fact his slider has a high whiff rate (which sliders should have btw). The problem is (and the writer cited this) that guys see the ball well out of Miranda’s hand and swing mostly at in the zone pitches and lay off pitches out of the zone.

I didn’t think the argument was at all convincing.

Yeah, lots of pitchers have this problem.

Could you imagine the question being asked: "Who's the best lefty? Kershaw, Sale or Miranda?"

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

And meanwhile...MLB.com had this article entitled 3 starters with ace potential...

notice the third guy.....geez.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180127&content_id=265432782&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I think the headline of this article is misleading.  I don't think the author is trying to argue that AM is a minor adjustment away from being an ace--more like he could be much more effective with a minor adjustment.

32 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think the headline of this article is misleading.  I don't think the author is trying to argue that AM is a minor adjustment away from being an ace--more like he could be much more effective with a minor adjustment.

If he turns out to be even Odorizzi or Salazar,  many people will have their hair on fire here.  I don’t think so, but I didn’t write it. 

If the O's don't sign any starting pitchers, is there a chance they might rotate Cortes, Bleier, Ynoa and Castro for the 3-5 spots in the rotation?

All of those guys would have to be stretched out innings-wise, so maybe having them skip starts and work in the bullpen could be a way to maximize their total innings. It would also be a way to determine which of those guys have the potential to be fixtures in the rotation.

3 minutes ago, panick said:

If the O's don't sign any starting pitchers, is there a chance they might rotate Cortes, Bleier, Ynoa and Castro for the 3-5 spots in the rotation?

All of those guys would have to be stretched out innings-wise, so maybe having them skip starts and work in the bullpen could be a way to maximize their total innings. It would also be a way to determine which of those guys have the potential to be fixtures in the rotation.

If the O's head down this path they probably are a below .500 team.  In that case they could do something like that as development.

Archived