Mound Visits - Pitch Clock

weams

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Everyone recognizes it's advertising that slows games.  Sure small gains can be made in game by reducing visits, but the broad definition of a visit is overkill.

Actually. It is not. It is pitching changes and special recognitions. 

On 1/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

Everyone recognizes it's advertising that slows games.  Sure small gains can be made in game by reducing visits, but the broad definition of a visit is overkill.

Actually. It is not. It is pitching changes and special recognitions. 

2 minutes, 5 seconds is the time between innings. All Advertising included. 

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

High school is 1 minute.  Takes the pros longer?

So. 18 minutes then Yeah, I think guys who throw 100 mph in front of 40k fans deserve four extra warmup pitches and mound grooming from their opponent's holes. 

45 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm gonna end this back and forth. I think two minutes to swap sides is very reasonable. You don't. We good. 

I do believe the 2:05 limit is longer than it used to take back in the day, though the reason they set that time is because teams were dragging it out even longer in recent years.    

But there is no one single reason games are slower.    It’s a combination of things:  pitchers are more deliberate, batters step out of the box more often, there are way more pitching changes made in the middle of an inning.   Overall, I do think it detracts from the game.    But it’s really tough to legislate.  

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

High school is 1 minute.  Takes the pros longer?

Hard to compare high school and pros.   Fans need time to go the bathroom and grab a beer.   I have no problem with two minute breaks between innings.  I do mind breaks for pitching changes and mound visits.  Especially two pitching changes in one inning.   

9 hours ago, cimota said:

Hard to compare high school and pros.   Fans need time to go the bathroom and grab a beer.   I have no problem with two minute breaks between innings.  I do mind breaks for pitching changes and mound visits.  Especially two pitching changes in one inning.   

Me too. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do believe the 2:05 limit is longer than it used to take back in the day, though the reason they set that time is because teams were dragging it out even longer in recent years.    

But there is no one single reason games are slower.    It’s a combination of things:  pitchers are more deliberate, batters step out of the box more often, there are way more pitching changes made in the middle of an inning.   Overall, I do think it detracts from the game.    But it’s really tough to legislate.  

I think my only reason for defending the two minutes was the implication that Baseball, like Football, had engineered TV timeouts. And that commercials slowed the game down. I see that as fallacy. 

Archived