Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I agree with everything you say but the last sentence.  My opinion has changed about him because this was a very immature thing to do.   Something for the fans shouldn't get mixed in with the business of the game.

But it is a business. I think Schoop understands that. Otherwise he would not have listened to his agent and not show up. Friends get traded ,cut and let go all the time. Looks like he made a business decision not to attend and he should realize if Manny goes it is part of the business. Seems to be more about his arbitration dispute then anything else.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Trading his buddy shouldn't change the way he conducts himself as a professional. 

At 26, he's a grown ass man with 5 years MLB experience.

Just because you "see" something doesn't mean squat.  Davis and Trumbo were free agents.  Schoop is not.  He will have his time just like Davis, Trumbo and his buddy Manny.  In the meantime, he's making MILLIONS on top of the $10M+ he's already made (w/the $5m deal he made).  If he's so close with Manny, he should know all about arb years.

Have you ever been to a FanFest?  Most of the players don't even field questions....they scribble their signature for an hour and move on.  Hard hitting questions? Don't think so.

I agree, but that might not be addressing the reality of the situation in regards to them trading his friend.  

Yep, I've been to a FanFest.  They scribble signatures and move on, half the people in line don't get an autograph.  

Hard hitting questions for Dan.  

6 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I wonder what the reasons for both are

I heard Roch on 105.7 say that for Manny, the Orioles still wished that he would attend, but that it was at least an understandable reason for missing.  For whatever that's worth, it sounds like his reason could at least be defended.

18 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

But it is a business. I think Schoop understands that. Otherwise he would not have listened to his agent and not show up. Friends get traded ,cut and let go all the time. Looks like he made a business decision not to attend and he should realize if Manny goes it is part of the business. Seems to be more about his arbitration dispute then anything else.

But, the fans are the REASON for the business.   Without the fans, the business doesn't exist.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a big deal at all?

Look, the team is trying to trade his best friend.  Odds are that Machado isn't here after this season via trade or free agency.

As much as you'll hear athletes say "It's a business" some of them conveniently forget this when it comes to situations like this.  Especially a young guy like Schoop who hasn't been around too long.

He's seen the Orioles give big bucks to the likes of Davis and Trumbo, and now the team is saying they can't afford Manny.  He's probably wondering if the team is going to do what it takes to keep him here long term, too.

All things considered, it's not a shock he didn't show up to Fan-fest, which, to me, is a bunch of fans asking hard hitting questions and getting platitudes in response which is no different than what you'd get in the media.  

When Schoop hits 30 homers this year and makes the all star team, no ones going to remember if he went to fan-fest or not except for the middle aged guys who wanted his autograph on their glove.

Some really good points here. Like you I also don't think it's a big deal.

18 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

But, the fans are the REASON for the business.   Without the fans, the business doesn't exist.  

Can't question that, but every reaction has an opposite reaction.   

PA and the front office love to nickel and dime during arbitration...They've done it for years.  If that's your corporate business practice, expect blowback every once in a while.

I don't blame Schoop or his agent.  The O's have the bigger media megaphone so they can cast him as the villain, but a negotiation cuts both ways.  If they want their employees to be good soldiers, treat them fairly.

10 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Can't question that, but every reaction has an opposite reaction.   

PA and the front office love to nickel and dime during arbitration...They've done it for years. 

If that's your corporate business practice, expect blowback every once in a while.

I don't blame Schoop or his agent.  The O's have the bigger media megaphone so they can cast him as the villain, but a negotiation cuts both ways.  If they want their employees to be good soldiers, treat them fairly.

Do you have any evidence that the O's are cheaper in arbitration than other teams?  Seems to me they settle with the vast majority of players and the cases don't even go before an arbiter.

I think every team wants to pay as little as possible.

11 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I see no reason to think that the O's have treated Schoop unfairly.  Negotiating with an arbitration-eligible player is common.

I would argue that the actually did him quite a favor during his rookie year, when they did not play the "service clock game" with him.  Many on here were advocating waiting to call him up until enough time had passed to delay his free agency another year.  Which, frankly, probably was the smart baseball move.  But because they didn't, he's now 1 year closer to free agency and his big pay day.  I would wager that almost every other MLB team would not have done it that way.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s been terrible for him going to the playoffs twice in four years and earning $12+ mm in the process.    My heart goes out to him.   

So he made 12 million. This organization is bad. Yes players make lots of money. But this team doesn't go anywhere because of Angelos. He has made too many mistakes. IMO 

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I see no reason to think that the O's have treated Schoop unfairly.  Negotiating with an arbitration-eligible player is common.

I would argue that the actually did him quite a favor during his rookie year, when they did not play the "service clock game" with him.  Many on here were advocating waiting to call him up until enough time had passed to delay his free agency another year.  Which, frankly, probably was the smart baseball move.  But because they didn't, he's now 1 year closer to free agency and his big pay day.  I would wager that almost every other MLB team would not have done it that way.

Eh.  I think it depends on the level of prospect a player is.  I don't think it is general practice for all teams to do it with all players.

Archived