Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eh.  I think it depends on the level of prospect a player is.  I don't think it is general practice for all teams to do it with all players.

I have no way of looking it up, but I think most teams do it if they believe the player has any kind of upside.

Now in fairness, I don't believe the Orioles intentionally did this as any favor to Schoop.  I think they thought he would help them win more baseball games.  But, certainly it will be of financial benefit to him in the long run.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I have no way of looking it up, but I think most teams do it if they believe the player has any kind of upside.

Now in fairness, I don't believe the Orioles intentionally did this as any favor to Schoop.  I think they thought he would help them win more baseball games.  But, certainly it will be of financial benefit to him in the long run.

I'm not interested in looking at it in depth but I don't think it is common as you are suggesting.  The only player I can think of the Orioles doing it with was Matt.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you have any evidence that the O's are cheaper in arbitration than other teams?  Seems to me they settle with the vast majority of players and the cases don't even go before an arbiter.

I think every team wants to pay as little as possible.

I read a blog recently from Roch I think from Britton commenting about how the Orioles are "hard negotiators" and "anyone in the industry" will tell you that.  It goes back to Angelos''s legal career.  He wants to win the negotiation, and doesn't worry about the collateral damage.

It's just short-sighted.  They are $1.5 million apart; and the guy is your team MVP from the prior season who you, presumably, hope to extend for several years.  Ohh yea, and he's likely the main attraction once Machado leaves.

Schoop is not Bryce Harper but look at how the Nats have handled that situation.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not interested in looking at it in depth but I don't think it is common as you are suggesting.  The only player I can think of the Orioles doing it with was Matt.

Roch stated that if they go to arbitration with Gausman and Schoop it will be 4 hearings in the last 2 offseasons.  I don't know how that stacks up to other teams, but it seems high.

It's disappointing that Manny and Jon didn't put their personal issues aside and follow the example set by the Angeloses in being eager to mix with and relate to the fans. The Orioles' top decision-makers  -- at least, we think they're the top decision-makes -- are so refreshingly available to and open with the media, so transparent about the respective roles of themselves, Dan, Brady and Buck in running the team, so willing to discuss the Orioles' so-subtle-it's-hard--for-us-ignorant-fans-to-figure-out strategy for moving forward, so open about their efforts to retain or trade top players before they hit free agency, and so willing to take personal responsibility for decisions that don't turn out so well. Why, I think it was as recently as 2012 that Peter Angelos was interviewed about the team. But maybe it was 2010, or 2003. I've lost track. :D

11 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I read a blog recently from Roch I think from Britton commenting about how the Orioles are "hard negotiators" and "anyone in the industry" will tell you that.  It goes back to Angelos''s legal career.  He wants to win the negotiation, and doesn't worry about the collateral damage.

It's just short-sighted.  They are $1.5 million apart; and the guy is your team MVP from the prior season who you, presumably, hope to extend for several years.  Ohh yea, and he's likely the main attraction once Machado leaves.

Schoop is not Bryce Harper but look at how the Nats have handled that situation.

Isn't Harper expected to walk?

Giving players more money than you have to just leads to having to give them more as they progress in arbitration.

13 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Harper missed Fanfest and the team was not happy either.

https://www.mlb.com/news/washington-nationals-bryce-harper-decides-against-attending-natsfest/c-104001352

http://www.talknats.com/2017/12/15/another-winterfest-another-bryce-harper-no-show-according-sources/

11 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Roch stated that if they go to arbitration with Gausman and Schoop it will be 4 hearings in the last 2 offseasons.  I don't know how that stacks up to other teams, but it seems high.

And they went years without going before then.  Not sure a two season window is telling.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

While I love a good tit for tat, he apparently missed for his first wedding anniversary.  Happy wife, happy life and all that.  Certainly better optics than with Schoop.

Archived