Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Coudln't possibly take the wife along and go do something after Natsfest.

Nothing says 1st wedding anniversary like a work event and an evening in wintry DC...sounds great.

Back to the point, if Angelos wants to dick around over $1.5 million to the team's 2017 MVP and even less with one of only 2 returning starters in your rotation, it's certainly his prerogative.

But I'm not going to blame a player for shoving it right back at Angelos when he then wants the 2017 team MVP to appear at an offseason PR event.

Yea Fanfest is for the fans (cough-cough, customers) of Angelos's product.  There couldn't possibly be any ulterior motive for Angelos besides "giving back" to the fanbase.

1 minute ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Nothing says 1st wedding anniversary like a work event and an evening in wintry DC...sounds great.

Back to the point, if Angelos wants to dick around over $1.5 million to the team's 2017 MVP and even less with one of only 2 returning starters in your rotation, it's certainly his prerogative.

But I'm not going to blame a player for shoving it right back at Angelos when he then wants the 2017 team MVP to appear at an offseason PR event.

Yea Fanfest is for the fans (cough-cough, customers) of Angelos's product.  There couldn't possibly be any ulterior motive for Angelos besides "giving back" to the fanbase.

Actually, Harper is in the middle of an arbitrator ruling on his 5th year.

28 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Sure, it's a PR event, and it makes money for the O's.  Obviously it's not all done out of the goodness of Angelos' heart.

It would be really nice if for 1 day of the year both the players and the FO could put all that nonsense aside and pretend that the fans matter to them.  A lot of them seem to get it.  Adam Jones sure does.  Wonder if he'll have any type of conversation with Schoop about it.

18 minutes ago, 24fps said:

The cynicism in this thread is staggering.

And if Prince Jonathan can't be bothered to show up for a day to mingle with the common folks who cheer for him, it's not Steve Veltman's fault, nor is it Peter Anglos'.

I think it's fair to blame both the player and the agent.  The player certainly doesn't need to follow the agent's direction, but it's still bad advice.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Schoop hurt himself more than he hurt the Orioles.

I agree.  Using what can best be described as a secondary, contingent participant (the fanbase) as leverage in a contract negotiation is a questionable move.  Most fans don't understand - nor do they care - how contract negotiations work.  Many fanfest attendees are likely only to remember that Schoop disappointed their children... and not base their recollection on the merits of a tactical negotiation technique...

As just a quick aside, my son's favorite player is Nolan Arenado, and one day prior to a game we got there early in the hopes of getting his autograph.  Didn't happen, but Ian Desmond made a point of taking my son's baseball prior to many adults seeking autographs and asked my son how he was doing and if he played baseball.  My son was so happy.  Nolan is still his favorite player, but Ian Desmond is now his second favorite player...  We enjoy going to games to see how he does.  Ian Desmond.  Lesson?  The small things matter to younger fans, and tend to pack the seats...  Strike one, Schoop....

36 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think it's fair to blame both the player and the agent.  The player certainly doesn't need to follow the agent's direction, but it's still bad advice.

It was very bad advice from his agent IMO.  I hope it wasn't compounded by a little chat with his best bud.  It will be interesting to see how Schoop handles the blowback.  I don't expect there to be much, but there will be some.  Buck has seen to that and good for him.

Is the same agent who advised him to take an early pay day and cede future earnings?

My advice to Johnathon is find a new agent, this guy is not helping you at all.  Denying the fans access because on pay disputes in the wrong call 100 out of 100 times.  If you are unhappy with your current contract show up a week late to spring training, but don't take it out on the fans.

22 minutes ago, jjnono said:

As just a quick aside, my son's favorite player is Nolan Arenado, and one day prior to a game we got there early in the hopes of getting his autograph.  Didn't happen, but Ian Desmond made a point of taking my son's baseball prior to many adults seeking autographs and asked my son how he was doing and if he played baseball.  My son was so happy.  Nolan is still his favorite player, but Ian Desmond is now his second favorite player...  We enjoy going to games to see how he does.  Ian Desmond.  Lesson?  The small things matter to younger fans, and tend to pack the seats...  Strike one, Schoop....

This was a autograph signing at a game?  While the player was under contract?

Schoop's a good guy, plays hard and is good example of playing the game the right way for young kids.. 

I just love how you all only fault the player.  It's amazing to me.  Angelos had the power to guarantee Schoop's attendance at Fanfest.  $200k increase in the offer.  Angelos decided not to do it, just like Schoop decided not to attend.

1 hour ago, LC_O's_87 said:

This was a autograph signing at a game?  While the player was under contract?

Schoop's a good guy, plays hard and is good example of playing the game the right way for young kids.. 

I just love how you all only fault the player.  It's amazing to me.  Angelos had the power to guarantee Schoop's attendance at Fanfest.  $200k increase in the offer.  Angelos decided not to do it, just like Schoop decided not to attend.

Pretty sure that wouldn't have guaranteed his attendance, considering he didn't attend last year and Davis, Britton and Machado, all with deals in hand, didn't attend this year.

Anyway why should the owner pay 400K + in blackmail money?

2 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

We ain't talking about Cleveland.

I'm sure plenty of top notch hotels and restaurants exist in DC and plenty of options for a night out as well.

Would it be ideal?

Nope.

But right now you have some couple celebrating their first anniversary while one of them is deployed overseas in harm's way.

Archived