Orioles Sign Araujo - Holmberg, Lefties

Rene88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Primarily FB/SL guy, hits mid 90s. Control is obviously an issue, played overseas in 2017 but barely pitched, not sure if there was an injury or what.

Dammit. Come on DD. Sign someone this team can use. A good pitcher could be had I would certainly think. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elvis “ The Enforcer”. I heard he’s going to work out with Brady. We need someone to carry around all the money for the terrible contracts that Brady hands out. 

Brady hands out? DD is who is to blame. And Angelos of course. 

45 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

When the lot of you get done wiping away your tears, you'll notice that this is a bullpen depth signing on a MiLB deal. 

There is nothing to dislike about this move. 

Exactly.  Nothing wrong with this deal.  File it under the "oh, cool" category and move on.

47 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

When the lot of you get done wiping away your tears, you'll notice that this is a bullpen depth signing on a MiLB deal.

Yes, complain all you want about major league deals, fine. But I can't understand why anyone complains about minor league contracts. Maybe weams could have us all sign a "No-Bitchin-about-MiLB-Deals" agreement.

Meanwhile, Araujo might help the Orioles this season. He has kept the ball in the park at all levels and he gets some strikeouts. Though he has allowed a lot of walks in the minors -- 3.9BB/9 -- that's a lot lower than the teams #6 prospect, Tanner Scott, who has never had a walk rate that low in any season or partial season in the minors and overall has allowed 6.6BB/9.

I hope and believe Scott will be able to rein it in as he matures. But Araujo has a much better chance of contributing to the 2018 Orioles, imo.

1 hour ago, Snutchy said:

Yeah this. Hard throwing lefty out of the bullpen if he pans out. No downside if he doesn't.

1 hour ago, Snutchy said:

And there's not much to particularly like about this move either. Which is why Heyman is a joke.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

He likes the player, that's his opinion. Who cares? 

The Orioles have announced the signings of lefties David Holmberg and Elvis Araujo. Baltimore also made its deal with Craig Gentry official. Neither Holmberg nor Araujo will be invited to MLB Spring Training. Presumably, though, both have recent MLB experience.

Holmberg, 26, threw 57 2/3 innings last year for the White Sox, making seven starts along with thirty relief appearances. He carried a 4.68 ERA, but things look even worse when you look deeper. Holmberg coughed up a dozen home runs and managed only 33 strikeouts to go with 34 walks on the year.

Araujo is also 26. He’s a year removed from a two-year run in the Phillies’ pen, over which he maintained a 4.35 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 5.2 BB/9 over 62 total innings. He took the ball just six times for Japan’s Chunichi Dragons in 2017, so he’ll be looking to regain his footing upon returning to affiliated ball.

MLBTR

Orioles sign more crap: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/orioles-sign-david-holmberg-elvis-araujo.html

Does DD really think SP’s are going to get cheaper? Ervin Santana just went down so Twins will now be in the market.

The Orioles organization is a joke.

You should have traded Britton, Manny, Schoop, etc.

Angelos blocked you perhaps, Fine. We get it. Then why are you sitting on your hands for signing FA’s? You won’t be here next year, why should DD care? You literally have 2 pitchers out of 5 set...

Much more upsetting things going on in the world but this organization is so inept. Going to a couple of ST games in a couple of weeks and curious who will even be there....

17 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Orioles sign more crap: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/orioles-sign-david-holmberg-elvis-araujo.html

Does DD really think SP’s are going to get cheaper? Ervin Santana just went down so Twins will now be in the market.

The Orioles organization is a joke.

You should have traded Britton, Manny, Schoop, etc.

Angelos blocked you perhaps, Fine. We get it. Then why are you sitting on your hands for signing FA’s? You won’t be here next year, why should DD care? You literally have 2 pitchers out of 5 set...

Much more upsetting things going on in the world but this organization is so inept. Going to a couple of ST games in a couple of weeks and curious who will even be there....

I’ll never understand why people get upset when we sign guys to minor league contracts.    It’s necessary, every team does it, and it’s got nothing to do with whether we also sign some established major league players to more significant deals.   

Holmberg provides a good cautionary tale for the fragility of Alex Wells’s profile.

Similar repertoire, Holmberg performed at Low A at a younger age than Wells.

Wells seems to have more control/command but Holmberg was a solid control/command guy.

Not trying to be a downer, but just an idea of the risks you have to consider with guys who have lackluster stuff.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Holmberg provides a good cautionary tale for the fragility of Alex Wells’s profile.

Similar repertoire, Holmberg performed at Low A at a younger age than Wells.

Wells seems to have more control/command but Holmberg was a solid control/command guy.

Not trying to be a downer, but just an idea of the risks you have to consider with guys who have lackluster stuff.

Two notable contrasts between Holmberg’s minor league and major league stats:

1.  BB rate of 2.6 in the minors, 5.2 in the majors.    

2.   HR rate of 0.7 in the minors, 2.3 in the majors.   

Even in AAA his rates were solid (2.9, 0.8).

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two notable contrasts between Holmberg’s minor league and major league stats:

1.  BB rate of 2.6 in the minors, 5.2 in the majors.    

2.   HR rate of 0.7 in the minors, 2.3 in the majors.   

Even in AAA his rates were solid (2.9, 0.8).

So his stuff doesn't play in the strike zone?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ll never understand why people get upset when we sign guys to minor league contracts.    It’s necessary, every team does it, and it’s got nothing to do with whether we also sign some established major league players to more significant deals.   

I don't get upset about it.  You are right, all teams do it.  I do think at times though the timing of Duquette doing it goes along with not having done any other things to improve the team.  And I think at times Dan has been guilty of overselling these signings as somehow a sign of busy activity on his part and a bone to the fan base rather than actually signing talent.  Not that we are convinced about any of that, of course, but many less knowledgeable fans might see this as more than it is...i.e. a nothing burger sandwich. 

Archived