In on Lynn?

Snutchy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, they have to sign someone right? They've painted themselves in a corner and Lynn, by my count is the third best available free agent pitcher behind Darvish and Arrietta. I guess you could make an argument for Cobb over Lynn, since he's proven he can pitch int the AL East, but the gap's pretty narrow between those two. 

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Gotta think if they sign Lynn for 3/57 that's the only real impact guy they sign right? 

I guess I can get behind signing Lynn and Tillman/Hutchinson 

Problem is you're still not good enough to make the playoffs. Orioles need to sign two quality starting pitchers.  Lynn and hoping Tillman or Hutchinson improve on 2017 stats isn't getting a playoff spot barring a miracle.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Problem is you're still not good enough to make the playoffs. Orioles need to sign two quality starting pitchers.  Lynn and hoping Tillman or Hutchinson improve on 2017 stats isn't getting a playoff spot barring a miracle.  

I agree that its a risk but if Tillman bounces back and he and Lynn simply pitch to their career averages, the team has a pretty good rotation. 

Also I feel like every year DD and Buck are banking on a miracle. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

On 2/7/2018 at 4:10 PM, Birdfan21 said:

Three things wrong with this list.  1) not having the Twins get one of the top four starters.  2) I doubt the Nats go 5 years on Jake.  3) Thinking the O's are going to pay 19m/year for a pitcher.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Thee things wrong with this list.  1) not having the Twins get one of the top four starters.  2) I doubt the Nats go 5 years on Jake. 3) Thinking the O's are going to pay 19m/year for a pitcher.

I think Lynn is plan B for the Nats.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Remember, in our owner's pea brain, any free agent starter signed to greater than 3 years will be a huge bust, because Ubaldo.  Never mind that Ubaldo has a known high-risk signing a priori, much higher than Lynn appears to be.  Nope, in Angelos' head, all free agent starters are now the same and if you give them more than three years they will definitely be awful.  

19 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I think if the Os sign Lynn and Tillman, they would immediately become the third best team in the division, and one with at least an outside chance of making the wildcard game.

You have more faith in Tillman than I do.    I think there’s about a 25% chance that he’ll return to form, and a 75% chance that he’s done.     It’s not like he was just a little off last year, and might have been better if a break or two had gone his way.    He didn’t look remotely like himself.     I think either he’s still hurt, or the physiology of his shoulder is permanently altered and he’ll just never be the same guy.    But as I said, there’s a 25% chance I’m wrong, and I hope that’s the case, regardless of where Tillman winds up.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have more faith in Tillman than I do.    I think there’s about a 25% chance that he’ll return to form, and a 75% chance that he’s done.     It’s not like he was just a little off last year, and might have been better if a break or two had gone his way.    He didn’t look remotely like himself.     I think either he’s still hurt, or the physiology of his shoulder is permanently altered and he’ll just never be the same guy.    But as I said, there’s a 25% chance I’m wrong, and I hope that’s the case, regardless of where Tillman winds up.   

Definitely - sometimes pitchers just lose it. Lincecum & Cain always come to mind for me.

41 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Remember, in our owner's pea brain, any free agent starter signed to greater than 3 years will be a huge bust, because Ubaldo.  Never mind that Ubaldo has a known high-risk signing a priori, much higher than Lynn appears to be.  Nope, in Angelos' head, all free agent starters are now the same and if you give them more than three years they will definitely be awful.  

How dare you speak thusly about PA! This man is a genius. No other lawyer could have made millions off of asbestos. Those were hard cases to win. And no other owner could undo baseball history--PA is showing that the old idiom of "pitching and defense" is overrated. Plus he is showing that you can build an elite farm system without going international. Give respect where it is due!

Archived