Legend_Of_Joey

19 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Russell helped turn Caleb from a "bat first with no real position" minor leaguer into someone who gets a lot of rave reviews for his defense. 

I'm not sure what Joseph's starting point was, but there is some good if Sisco is starting off around that same spot.

Actually it was Donny Werner the roving catching instructor who supported, championed, and ultimately developed Caleb at Bowie.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit over a week now with Grapefruit League games underway. Let's take a look at everyone so far.

Caleb Joseph: The "starter" for right now, Joseph has gotten quite a few days off. So far in 3 starts, he is 2-6 with 2 strike outs, a walk, a run scored, and 1 runner allowed to steal. Wouldn't look too much into it, as it's only been a week. Expect a few more Joseph starts during the next few weeks to get things rolling.

Chance Sisco: The highly touted prospect, Sisco has gotten the most work so far. 4 starts, going 3-11 (going 0-8 in his last 8 official at bats), with 1 home run, 3 rbis, 4 runs scored, 3 strike outs, a 2 walks. On defense, he has allowed 1 passed ball and 4 out of 5 base stealers have been successful. Sisco is getting the most opportunites so far. With a battle still going on, expect him to get more "Chances," especially to break out of his mini slump.

Audrey Perez: Possibly a first cut, Perez has gotten in a few games, going 2-5. A strike out, home run, run scored, and 2 rbis aren't anything to be ashamed of. Perez is depth, but trying to show he is solid depth and deserves his shot like Pena got the last 2 seasons.

Austin Wynns: The main "competition" for Sisco, Wynns has 1 start so far and has mainly been a backup. He is 1-4 with the bat, with his lone hit being a solo home run in his first at bat. He mixed in 3 strike outs with 3 walks, scoring 2 runs. His main thing is defense, throwing out all 3 runners attempting to steal so far. Might get a little more looks soon with his defense, but still behind Sisco it seems.

Andrew Susac: "Cursed" would be an understatement. After trying to prove he can be healthy after seasons plauged by injuries, Susac missed a little more than a week of camp due to a serious staph infection. Brought in to try and "battle" Sisco and Wynns, Susac lost a LOT of ground that he couldn't afford. He only has appeared in 1 game as a back up, with a walk in his only at bat. Will probably stick around for a bit as the games start to pick up, but that's it.

Even though it's early, we have seen the early emergence (at first) of Sisco's hitting powers, going 3-3 and drilling an opposite field home run. He seems to have a knack for them in big situations, with his shot last spring being to the opposite field and his pop in the Futures Game also going opposite field. Been in a slump lately, with an 0-8 showing. Runners have been moving on him so far, which might draw the ire of Buck. Will get the most opportunities to show what he can do though.

Wynns has been as advertised. Not much at the plate, showing some rare power with a solo shot to left in his first at bat. 0-3 since then, including a strike out with the bases loaded later that game. Has mixed in 3 walks though, showing his eye at the plate. His defense has been the story so far, throwing out all 3 runners, including Mallex Smith. Smith stole 2 bases on Sisco and had over 80 in the minors recently, along with a very high success rate. Was praised highly by Buck after his home run. Will be interesting to see how Buck plays Wynns and Sisco.

Perez has shown that he can actually play a little. Relagated to backup in Bowie last season, Perez is trying to show that he can fill that "Pena" role and be the first call up incase of a minor injury or something. It might be a battle between him and Susac.

Susac needs an exorcist. Poor guy lost over a week of valuable time to a freak injury. Lets see how long he stays.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This is admittedly premature, but could Sisco play RF? 

I’d rather try him at 3B. He was a SS in HS. Pretty good chance he has decent enough glove work, and if not, a new project for Dickerson. 

Then, you keep Hays in RF and move Mountcastle to 2B in preparation of Schoop leaving.

Simple right?

Now, what else can I tinker with?

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d rather try him at 3B. He was a SS in HS. Pretty good chance he has decent enough glove work, and if not, a new project for Dickerson. 

Then, you keep Hays in RF and move Mountcastle to 2B in preparation of Schoop leaving.

Simple right?

Now, what else can I tinker with?

The Indians tried out their top catching prospect, Francisco Mejia, at 3rd in the AFL in an attempt to get him up to the majors.

Sisco is more athletic, so I wouldn't mind seeing that. I think he has a better arm than Mountcastle, which isn't saying much. His bat would still be good.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The Indians tried out their top catching prospect, Francisco Mejia, at 3rd in the AFL in an attempt to get him up to the majors.

Sisco is more athletic, so I wouldn't mind seeing that. I think he has a better arm than Mountcastle, which isn't saying much. His bat would still be good.

From what I understand arm strength isn't an issue for Sisco.

Of course I still moving him off catcher would be foolish.

3 minutes ago, theobird said:

I have never seen Wynns play, but if he is clearly the best of the group defensively, then I think he should be one of our Catchers to head north.  Catcher is one position where defense should have a very high value. 

So if Sisco rakes you would feel comfortable cutting Caleb and going with Sisco/Wynns?

Archived