Legend_Of_Joey

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if Sisco rakes you would feel comfortable cutting Caleb and going with Sisco/Wynns?

This season? Not entirely sure I would go with 2 rookies with this squad of pitchers. Atleast not right away.

Now, by July/August, yes if the Orioles are far out of it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This season? Not entirely sure I would go with 2 rookies with this squad of pitchers. Atleast not right away.

Now, by July/August, yes if the Orioles are far out of it.

Not sure I would either.

Not so much because they are both rookies but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to dismiss Caleb like that for what is likely to be a best a marginal gain.

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Can you recap it? Didn't realize he was on.

I’ll try, 

-Sisco the bat will play. It’s not the regular base stealers that are an issue with him but if guys that aren’t base stealers start having success on him. Game calling could improve. Sees Joseph and Sisco splitting duties at first with Joseph getting 4 a week. Joseph tends to wear down the more he catches.

- Beckham is in his prime and we should hope for a .750 - .780 OPS type player. We don’t need the traditional corner power from him because we’re making up for that with Machado at SS. 

-Really like Wynns. Calls a great game. All the good catcher traits. How much will the bat play?

-Mountcastle reminds him of Schoop and the way the ball jumped off his bat with backspin his rookie year. Indicating power. 40 doubles should be HR’s soon.  Regarded as the best impact bat in the system( maybe Jeremy, but I think Tony).  He is posistion challenged. 

-Cortes is a soft tosser at 88-90. Early comparisons to Scott McGregor. 

I was in traffic right there in front of the warehouse downtown, so I got a pretty good listen. He was on right around 5pm ish. 

Right now, Joseph is my starter and Wynns is my #2. This is not because he is a better player than Cisco, but I would prefer Cisco play regularly and get some more work on stopping the running game. Also, since our starting pitching is going to suck, let's get the best defensive catchers on the 25 man.

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Right now, Joseph is my starter and Wynns is my #2. This is not because he is a better player than Cisco, but I would prefer Cisco play regularly and get some more work on stopping the running game. Also, since our starting pitching is going to suck, let's get the best defensive catchers on the 25 man.

I know we knock Sisco’s glove but what about Wynns bat. I like the guy. Future backup. The guy has only played in 130 AA games and 8 AAA games. .775ish OPS. I’d be real worried about our C production If it were Wynns and Joseph. Plus they are real similar. I think the most likely outcome is that Sisco starts the year but we see Wynns at some point. Injuries are bound to happen at C. Then I’d Joseph throws up another .600 OPS season it might be his last. 

I think we’re underrating the loss of Welington on here. Sisco’s bat is the one thing that can offset that. 

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right.    Losing him should lop at least a run off our team ERA.

LOL and when you get around to writing your novel of intrigue, I hope to read this word at least once in reference to extremities...:ph34r:

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ll try, 

-Sisco the bat will play. It’s not the regular base stealers that are an issue with him but if guys that aren’t base stealers start having success on him. Game calling could improve. Sees Joseph and Sisco splitting duties at first with Joseph getting 4 a week. Joseph tends to wear down the more he catches.

- Beckham is in his prime and we should hope for a .750 - .780 OPS type player. We don’t need the traditional corner power from him because we’re making up for that with Machado at SS. 

-Really like Wynns. Calls a great game. All the good catcher traits. How much will the bat play?

-Mountcastle reminds him of Schoop and the way the ball jumped off his bat with backspin his rookie year. Indicating power. 40 doubles should be HR’s soon.  Regarded as the best impact bat in the system( maybe Jeremy, but I think Tony).  He is posistion challenged. 

-Cortes is a soft tosser at 88-90. Early comparisons to Scott McGregor. 

I was in traffic right there in front of the warehouse downtown, so I got a pretty good listen. He was on right around 5pm ish. 

I thought Cortes could touch 92-94?
Roch had this to day about Cortes:

Rule 5 pick Nestor Cortes Jr. is making a favorable impression following the one he left in minicamp. The assortment of pitches and arm angles, the confidence, the attitude. He doesn’t throw hard and will need everything working for him, which is asking a lot, but he keeps winning at every level.

32 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I wouldn't, Sisco isn't ready to catch at the major league level yet, his defense and keeping balls in front of him, still needs worked on, not to mention throws to 2nd.

His throwing yes.  Where are you getting the other stuff?  Scouting reports from 2016?

Why not just start year with Joseph and Wynns. Let Sisco catch everyday at AAA and then around Memorial Day adjust. If they aren’t ready to play Sisco enough to justify him being up here just wait a couple of months and then if needed he can split time with Caleb. 

Joseph is not a true full time C so just let him do it for a couple of months. 

Selfishly I would also Iike the Orioles not to burn a year of service time for Sisco or Hays this year. That way you have as much young talent grouped together for longer along with the Mullins, Mountcastle and Stewart’s of the world. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Okay but who backs up Caleb? I'd rather have him back up Caleb or be the starting catcher.

Just for the sake of argument, Wynns, who is supposed to be good defensively and 3 for 3 against baserunners this spring, and at Age 27 probably needs to hit the big leagues soon if he is going to have any chance.

Archived