Another approach to a left handed OFer

wildcard

From MLBTR:

The Orioles have discussed the possibility of a non-roster invitation to Spring Training for Pedro Alvarez, Michael Bourn, Colby Rasmus and Michael Saunders within the past week, according to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun. It’s a bargain-hunter’s collection of names, considering the fact that higher-profile left-handed bats such as Logan Morrison, Carlos Gonzalez, Jon Jayand Jarrod Dyson remain available in free agency. (Morrison, of course, isn’t an outfielder at this point in his career, though the same is true of Alvarez.) The O’s have been interested in Rasmus and Saunders in prior offseasons, Encina notes, though it’s not clear what Rasmus’ plans are at present. The veteran outfielder stepped away from the game for personal reasons last July, and there hasn’t been much mention of him this winter.

And I love this.   Go cheap on a left-handed outfielder instead on 2/14 for Jay or Dyson.   Don't block Hays.  Spend the money on pitching.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

From MLBTR:

• And I love this.   Go cheap on a left-handed outfielder instead on 2/14 for Jay or Dyson.   Don't block Hays.  Spend the money on pitching.

If they actually spend the money on pitching, fine.   If they don’t, then it really doesn’t matter to me what they do in the OF?

I'm not sure why they thing they really need a LH outfielder anyway. You have Santander if you want to platoon somebody. Otherwise, Trey, Jones, and Hays seems like a pretty excellent outfield. Just go with that. 

I'm worried their approach to finding a LH hitter mirrors their approach to finding SPs, and that it's all tied to the payroll being lower this year for whatever reason.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If they actually spend the money on pitching, fine.   If they don’t, then it really doesn’t matter to me what they do in the OF?

If its a cheap MIL contract with ST invite, whats the risk?

Not that its a proven thing that Hays will be ready for daily COF work.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If Hays wins a job, and you don't want to block him, then there is no need to get a LH bat.  You shouldn't make any of the current OFers the short side of a platoon. Just go with Gentry as the defensive replacement.

Hays kills lefthanded pitching ( 1200 OPS at AA, 1100 OPS at A) and the O's will want to play a much against righthanded pitching as he can handle.   Maybe a  good left-handed hitter outfielder against tough right-handers.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure why they thing they really need a LH outfielder anyway. You have Santander if you want to platoon somebody. Otherwise, Trey, Jones, and Hays seems like a pretty excellent outfield. Just go with that. 

I'm worried their approach to finding a LH hitter mirrors their approach to finding SPs, and that it's all tied to the payroll being lower this year for whatever reason.

This.  If Hays is ready to play and be an everyday player, which a lot of people seem to think is the case, then let him go do it.  As you said, they have Santander.

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Pedro is LH Depth. Rasmus as depth would be great. Bourn as a replacement to Rickard would be nice, and if Saunders can still hit MLB pitching, we'll be in good shape

If they can get Saunders for dirt cheap or on a MiLB deal, I'm not opposed to that.

Archived