NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

I think if Bundy pitches like Satchell Paige in his prime, Gausman gives you a Clemens year and Trumbo hits like Barry Bonds, we got a real shot at this thing.

This is a fair point hyperbolically...it won't take that much, but still.  It will require a genuine dose of Oriole Magic. ;) 

Im in!

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and Jake Arrieta was who he was, too.    

I get very frustrated with Gausman, but he’s had some long stretches of pitching well, and has looked very close to turning the corner at times.   He’s not likely to be the next Arrieta, but could he look like a reasonable no. 2?    I think that’s certainly possible.  

Yes, I know all the obstacles that have and apparently continue to prevent our otherwise talented pitchers from becoming the stars they are meant to be...at some point, pitchers who actually become great don’t really need the best ballpark for pitchers or the best pitching coaches etc., they either perform as a great pitcher or they don’t.  Kevin has yet to fulfill top of the rotation performer expectations and it remains to be seen if he ever will or if his performances will worsen.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, I know all the obstacles that have and apparently continue to prevent our otherwise talented pitchers from becoming the stars they are meant to be...at some point, pitchers who actually become great don’t really need the best ballpark for pitchers or the best pitching coaches etc., they either perform as a great pitcher or they don’t.  Kevin has yet to fulfill top of the rotation performer expectations and it remains to be seen if he ever will or if his performances will worsen.

I don’t disagree with you.   At the same time, we’ve seen Gausman put up a season of 110 ERA+ in 2014 and 119 ERA+ in 2016.    He ended last year on a high note (2.67 ERA in his final 13 starts).    It’s really not a big stretch to see him as a guy who could throw 190 innings to a 120 ERA+.    He needs to be more consistent, and avoid the outings where he can’t go 5 innings.    But it wouldn’t take a huge turnaround, just a bit more consistency, especially in the early months of the season.  

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree with you.   At the same time, we’ve seen Gausman put up a season of 110 ERA+ in 2014 and 119 ERA+ in 2016.    He ended last year on a high note (2.67 ERA in his final 13 starts).    It’s really not a big stretch to see him as a guy who could throw 190 innings to a 120 ERA+.    He needs to be more consistent, and avoid the outings where he can’t go 5 innings.    But it wouldn’t take a huge turnaround, just a bit more consistency, especially in the early months of the season.  

I agree too...In my view, Kevin will be fortunate to reach as good a level as Jeremy Guthrie who had three seasons of 120 ERA+ and one season of 132ERA+.. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this take, but (1) I’m not expecting it to happen, and (2) even if it did, I’d only give us a 25% shot at a wild card spot.  

What do you think the team's projection is right now?  70 wins?  I don't know that two solid mid-rotation starters would guarantee a .500 finish.

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I think if Bundy pitches like Satchell Paige in his prime, Gausman gives you a Clemens year and Trumbo hits like Barry Bonds, we got a real shot at this thing.

I recall a year where John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke combined to hit like Reggie Jackson...  Toss in Benny Ayala and they hit like Babe Ruth...

3 hours ago, theobird said:

Yes! And thanks for asking. Catcher is the one position imo where defense has to hold the most weight. I have not seen much of Wynns but I hear that he is a solid defensive catcher. If he is clearly the best defensively, its his job in my world. I like CJ's defense pretty well. He is not great back there, but very solid.

I agree with you. It's why I think Yadier Molina is the most underrated player in the game - and he's already rated pretty highly.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

We are not close to contending with BOTH Lynn and Cobb. They are solid, but not elite pitchers. Were going to have to take a beating this year and develop Hunter Harvey and Scott and others. BTW, I don't think we will get EITHER Cobb or Lynn anyway.

It's a little early for a reverse jinx from Roy, but I'll take it! Print the ... you know.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What do you think the team's projection is right now?  70 wins?  I don't know that two solid mid-rotation starters would guarantee a .500 finish.

Nothing guarantees anything.    In my observation over the last several years, the team performs well when the starting pitchers give them half a chance.   I think that will be true this year.    It’s not guaranteed.   

70 wins? Really? This team won 75 with the worst rotation I have ever seen and two black holes in the lineup all year. This team is better right now, today with 2 rule V guys in the rotation than it was a year ago when it won 75.

Even with no improvement from Davis or Trumbo there is no way this team will be as bad as last year. I give it a 0% chance this rotation is as bad as it was a year ago.

To Roy, if you think signing both Lynn and Cobbs doesn't make this team a wild card contender....well I'll just say you have been wrong plenty in the past. They would be a contender with just one of those two.

Archived