NEED one of the Big Three Pitchers Left

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have thought about this several times. Here is the issue, I think. If this is were most other teams it would probably work, but if you were one of those pitchers, would you want to "re-establish" yourself in the AL East?

It wouldn't really be a "re-establish" deal, but a maintain in favor of a better market with teams seemingly willing to spend after resetting against the luxury tax. Most expect LAD and NYY to go crazy in next year's market. If a number of teams are able to stay under the threshold this year and re-set, they could be more willing to spend next year. Even if that's not the case, the Cobbs or Lynns or the world could at least approach the market differently and have a better chance of a three or four year pact.

That said, the idea of pitching in the AL East (and in OPACY no less) will undoubtedly be daunting. I'd doubt Arrieta would do that with the Orioles. He's got enough baggage here and if he was willing to sign a 1-year deal, I'd imagine there would be other options on the table. As for Lynn and Cobb, I could see Cobb being swayed if the one-year deal is substantial enough. He's already pitched his career in the AL East so that's not likely to diminish his value. If his best offer this year was 3/$42M and he signs a 1/$22M deal this off season, he'd basically only need to beat 2/$20M to beat his 3 year earnings (and would have gotten the bulk of the money up front which is nice, too--see: time value of money). I think he'd be more than willing to bet on himself to beat a 2/$20M contract next year.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have thought about this several times. Here is the issue, I think. If this is were most other teams it would probably work, but if you were one of those pitchers, would you want to "re-establish" yourself in the AL East?

Yep, of the 7 teams listed, the Orioles are the least attractive to a pitcher on a prove-it deal. They have to overpay in salary and probably years.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

3 of the 5 examples that Fagan alludes to occurred during the collusion era (Tim Raines, Rich Gedman, and Doyle Alexander), but I still found the article interesting.

Could Jake Arrieta and/or Mike Moustakas Join These Post-Opening Day Signees?

(By Ryan Fagan)

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agent-hot-stove-offseason-jake-arrieta-mike-moustakas-roger-clemens-tim-raines-smoltz/xrvluohm4zli10b8hs8o0xq1f

o

o

8 DAYS LATER (Last Night)

As Yu Darvish Debuts for the Cubs, Unsigned Jake Arrieta Faces Likely Delayed Season

(By Gordon Wittenmyer)

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/as-yu-darvish-debuts-for-cubs-unsigned-jake-arrieta-faces-likely-delayed-season/

o

4 hours ago, theocean said:

I think that's probably how it shakes out. Cobb has to be kicking himself for not taking that Cubs deal.

I see him getting 3/42 that he turned down. Eventually someone will budge, or he’ll have to consider more teams. I don’t see him getting less that that. 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Offer Lynn and Cobb one year deals at $20M plus.  Make a real run at the playoffs with this core.  

Don't forget the draft picks we'd forfeit. Sign both and we lose our third and fourth highest picks.

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Don't forget the draft picks we'd forfeit. Sign both and we lose our third and fourth highest picks.

If the Orioles aren't going to trade Manny, Schoop, Brach and start a rebuild.  I want them to go all in, right now the O's are riding the fence and hoping for the best from the current pitching staff.

Signing Cobb and Lynn is no guarantee to make the postseason, but they have a legit a chance with adding two established starters.  

35 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Good point.  Giving up the draft pick makes a one year deal unlikely. IMO.

52 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Good point.  Giving up the draft pick makes a one year deal unlikely. IMO.

Especially since it would be a partial season.  20 million for 2 years doesn't seem too bad for Lynn at this point.   It would give him over 40 million for his career.   Not bad for 31 year old with 14 career WAR. 

Archived