Improving Team Via 3rd Baseman Acquisition

ScGO's

Would signing a Brandon Phillips or Neil Walker to play 3rd Base be a cheap, low risk way to improve the team for this season?  Both might take one year contracts, both have played 3rd base, both ain't bad.  Move Beckham to RF, improve the OF athleticism.  Yunel Escobar might be another player who could be  cheap added value.  These options might be smarter routes than committing to too many years with Moustakas if we are tempted by a below market "bargain sign."  

Also anyone interested in a buy low on Jonathan Lucroy for a one year contract and offer him a shot at the Catcher job?  Worst case scenario, splitting time with Joseph? Give Sisco some time to develop in AAA; he's still young and didn't exactly destroy AAA pitching last year.

Do you not think Beckham has the athleticism for OF?  I think it could be a fairly easy transition for him. 

I also don't think he is the SS of the future, but I do like him as a super utility option, like a Zobrist. 

I think signing a Jarod Dyson along with one of those mentioned in the opening post would significantly improve the team on the cheap without mortgaging the future.  I'd even give Dyson 2 years.  He can spell Mancini after the 7th every time he starts in LF, give AJ the rest he deserves, and help supplement a Beckham experiment in RF.

36 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Would signing a Brandon Phillips or Neil Walker to play 3rd Base be a cheap, low risk way to improve the team for this season?  Both might take one year contracts, both have played 3rd base, both ain't bad.  Move Beckham to RF, improve the OF athleticism.  Yunel Escobar might be another player who could be  cheap added value.  These options might be smarter routes than committing to too many years with Moustakas if we are tempted by a below market "bargain sign."  

Also anyone interested in a buy low on Jonathan Lucroy for a one year contract and offer him a shot at the Catcher job?  Worst case scenario, splitting time with Joseph? Give Sisco some time to develop in AAA; he's still young and didn't exactly destroy AAA pitching last year.

Seems like a stretch to me. Moustakas is the only FA bat that would justify moving Beckham off 3B and I'm not sure he's worth what he's going to get. 

Also think Lucroy is toast. f you look at his career his 2016 season was an outlier and it's alarming he couldn't put put solid numbers in Colorado. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wonder if Beckham has ever played OF? 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

he hasn't, but I think he could

Come on, guys.  Everyone knows that Cashner's the one we're going to groom out there.  I mean, a career one third of an inning in the outfield?  You simply can't ignore experience like that. 

1 hour ago, theobird said:

Signing Moustakis to a reasonable deal and making Beckham a super utility player, like Melmo use to be ,makes us a lot better imo. I don't think it has any chance of happening, but it would certainly move the needle for me.

The only problem with that is I think Beckham is a better player than Moustakas from this point on. Actually Beckham has been a better player than Moustakas for 2 years now, at least according to fWAR, bWAR, and BP's WARP.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Do you not think Beckham has the athleticism for OF?  I think it could be a fairly easy transition for him. 

I also don't think he is the SS of the future, but I do like him as a super utility option, like a Zobrist. 

I think signing a Jarod Dyson along with one of those mentioned in the opening post would significantly improve the team on the cheap without mortgaging the future.  I'd even give Dyson 2 years.  He can spell Mancini after the 7th every time he starts in LF, give AJ the rest he deserves, and help supplement a Beckham experiment in RF.

So who is at short in 2019?  I don't give a darn?

Archived