How good do you expect Manny to be at SS in 2018?

Frobby

How good will Manny be at SS in 2018?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How good will Manny be at SS in 2018?

• Outstanding - Gold Glove candidate
    • Well above average - top 5 in the league
    • Average or a little above
    • Noticeably below average
    • Terrible

5 hours ago, El Gordo said:

To begin with the listed weights are usually well off. Do you think the Babe played at 215 for most of his career? Manny has bulked up quite a bit since his first season. He is no where near 185 now. He' at least as big as Schoop at 225. Probably more.

Of course not, but I wasn't even looking at weights.  Manny's basically the same size as Tulowitzki and he can field okay.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

To begin with the listed weights are usually well off. Do you think the Babe played at 215 for most of his career? Manny has bulked up quite a bit since his first season. He is no where near 185 now. He' at least as big as Schoop at 225. Probably more.

Definitely not 185 anymore but I'd say he was no more than 215 last year, whereas John looks like he's about 230.  And in that picture of the two of them side by side at ST taken yesterday, John looks HUGE.

It's funny to watch Orioles fans quibble over the size of a SS.  I think some of you have forgotten that we had a SS who was almost 6'5 for a few years who wasn't the fastest guy in the world.  Can't remember his name but he was a pretty good fielder, positioned himself well.  Sometimes, he even told what the pitcher to throw from SS.  

I know he's not in Andrelton's league and I suspect he wont be in Lindor's either. Could he be top 5? Maybe, but I'd be a bit surprised. I expect him to be better than average, but not elite. My biggest concern is that I think SS is going to put a ton of wear and tear on his body this year and it's going to be reflected in his bat. SS is a very physically demanding position.

Archived