Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure weams would agree with you, he claims that while they dont publically tell us what the payroll is going to be, there is usually money available, if the right player comes along.

I'm going by how Dan needs to make moves to trim payroll in order to add payroll during the season.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So?

Are you saying that Angelos didn't know it was coming?

For the record I am in the camp that the team is supporting the law firm.  If anyone has financial data on the law-firm I'd love to see it.  Last thing I read was years ago and it said that they were cutting back.  Well that and a piece about how asbestos cases might be handled in the future.

After minimal googling, I am starting to think you might be right...

There's a case on appeal in the Maryland high court, Duffy v. CBS.  Arguments were on Dec. 1 and it doesn't look like an opinion has been issued yet.

According to this article

https://www.kcic.com/trending/feed/is-the-maryland-asbestos-docket-going-to-disappear/

Angelos's law firm has 17,000 asbestos cases currently in the Baltimore City Court system.  If the Maryland Court of Appeals decides against the asbestos claimants, thousands of those cases will be thrown out as being time-barred...Essentially dismissed with no recovery.

Certainly would be a huge loss for his law firm.

Edit: this article contains some more data

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalnewsline/2017/11/13/peter-angelos-asbestos-firm-facing-the-loss-of-thousands-of-lawsuits-wants-lawmakers-help/#4a5127c62eae

2 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

After minimal googling, I am starting to think you might be right...

There's a case on appeal in the Maryland high court, Duffy v. CBS.  Arguments were on Dec. 1 and it doesn't look like an opinion has been issued yet.

According to this article

https://www.kcic.com/trending/feed/is-the-maryland-asbestos-docket-going-to-disappear/

Angelos's law firm has 17,000 asbestos cases currently in the Baltimore City Court system.  If the Maryland Court of Appeals decides against the asbestos claimants, thousands of those cases will be thrown out as being time-barred...Essentially dismissed with no recovery.

Certainly would be a huge loss for his law firm.

Looks like his law firm is handing more than just asbestos claims, and I doubt it has the impact that some hope it has.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I am still puzzle at where you got the trim payroll during the season from?

Selling draft picks to dump contracts instead of just cutting the players.

Releasing Gonzo when he had an option remaining?

Teams with a spending cushion don't have to do things like that.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Looks like his law firm is handing more than just asbestos claims, and I doubt it has the impact that some hope it has.

I'm sure they do but that is a HUGE book of business for a law firm.  The law firm most likely handles all these cases on a contingent basis so if they would have to refile thousands of these asbestos cases in another jurisdiction, or simply recover nothing on hundreds of them, those could be huge financial losses.

It really puts you in a bind as a fan when we are one step away from putting a roster out there that could contend (getting a #2/3 starter), and yet we aren't going to do simple things that are necessary to accomplish that..

1) Sign a pitcher with the money you had coming off the books

OR

2) Trade Manny for a starter

OR

3) Trade a package similar to what the Twins gave for an Odorizzi type player.. 

Can it be that hard? It'd be hard to be Buck right now, but he seems like a glass half full person.

I know Adam has been all over twitter throwing his weight around, almost in anticipation of knowing that winning isn't the highest priority. 

Just now, LC_O's_87 said:

I'm sure they do but that is a HUGE book of business for a law firm.  The law firm most likely handles all these cases on a contingent basis so if they would have to refile thousands of these asbestos cases in another jurisdiction, or simply recover nothing on hundreds of them, those could be huge financial losses.

4.5 billion from tobacco and not to mention how much they made against oil companies.  28m against one hospital/doctor, not to mention how many others are out there.

There are 60 lawyers on their web site, I suspect they aren't there for water cooler talk:

https://www.angeloslaw.com/our-attorneys/

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

4.5 billion from tobacco and not to mention how much they made against oil companies.  28m against one hospital/doctor, not to mention how many others are out there.

There are 60 lawyers on their web site, I suspect they aren't there for water cooler talk:

And how much does it cost to house a stable of 60 lawyers?

If they have gone 5+ years without a big score...

Yes I'm speculating.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The law firm took a $150 million dollar fee from the tobacco settlement which is enormous but it was also paid out over five years and it looks like the payments ended around 2008.  And he had to pay multiple experts several million dollars out of that fee.

And you assume that fee is all profit, but you need to remember that those fees are the sole revenue of the firm and have to be divided up to partners, operating costs, reinvested into other cases, etc.

Not saying the fee is not an incredible amount, just pointing out that the loss of thousands of cases which you've invested time and money into could be a big deal, even for the Angelos law firm.

Archived