Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I hear ya, but I don't know if I believe anything Dan says to the media. He was one of the early proponents of sabermetrics when he was in Boston but he goes on and on about pitcher wins and other stuff I'm sure he doesn't believe in.

Master of misdirection, he doesn't like tipping his hand to the media.

Just because he talks wins to the public, means, he isn't applying sabermetrics in any of his signings.

I think he also has learned something here with Buck about clubhouse chemistry and sometimes, the team is stronger by not bringing in a misfit.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

DD also said he was still looking at the market for arms and left handed bat.

Guys like Presley are just depth, I wouldn't read too much into those, depth is always a good thing.

I hear ya, but how does that alter anything I said? Presley clearly will be competing for a spot along with Brugman if he's not claimed (I doubt he will). As for the fre agents, have the Orioles even been in the mix for guys that could make a difference? So far they've signed Cashner, Tillman and Presley and are talking with Rasmus and Feldman..

How is that reading too much into anything? 

Basically, stepping away last year was almost entirely due to his hip injury, not a maturity or mental health issue, if you choose to believe the article I linked above.

That said, he's had a coachability issue for sure, but the O's tend to let hitters be who they are, so I'm not sure that's a problem here.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Very interesting article. The fact that Rasmus left $2.2 milllion on the table by walking away last year because he couldn't play due to the hip makes me respect the hell out of him. He's the anti-Brian Roberts.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I hear ya, but how does that alter anything I said? Presley clearly will be competing for a spot along with Brugman if he's not claimed (I doubt he will). As for the fre agents, have the Orioles even been in the mix for guys that could make a difference? So far they've signed Cashner, Tillman and Presley and are talking with Rasmus and Feldman..

How is that reading too much into anything? 

Then again, having guys on minor league deals battling for spots on your roster is not ideal for a team that thinks it's trying to compete.

Are they talking with Colby? Or is his name on the FA of what is available?

As for Feldman, what I read in Roch, was don't dismiss him, as he is available.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Master of misdirection, he doesn't like tipping his hand to the media.

Just because he talks wins to the public, means, he isn't applying sabermetrics in any of his signings.

I think he also has learned something here with Buck about clubhouse chemistry and sometimes, the team is stronger by not bringing in a misfit.

I agree and I have no problem with that approach, I'm just saying I don't necessarily believe him when he says the team is really trying to compete in 2018. Actions speak louder than words. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Very interesting article. The fact that Rasmus left $2.2 milllion on the table by walking away last year because he couldn't play due to the hip makes me respect the hell out of him. He's the anti-Brian Roberts.

There's that POV, but then there's also the POV of why in the world are the Orioles pursuing an OFer coming off a hip injury like that?  Smh.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like getting close to a deal. 

With the number of left-handed-hitting outfielders available on the free-agent market dwindling, the Orioles have turned their focus to a potential deal with veteran outfielder Colby Rasmus, according to an industry source.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-rasmus-20180221-story.html

And this:

One possibility the Orioles continue to show interest in is right-hander Scott Feldman, who was 7-7 with a 4.77 ERA in 21 starts with the Cincinnati Reds last year. The former Oriole had a 3.78 ERA over his first 17 starts, including nine quality starts over that span, before he was slowed by knee problems that ultimately sidelined him and led to offseason surgery.

Even if Feldman, 35, doesn’t crack the team’s Opening Day starting rotation, he could be a valuable long-relief arm, a need the club now has with Miguel Castro projected to become a starter. Before Castro excelled last season in middle relief, the Orioles desperately needed a pitcher who could provide a bridge between short starts and the late-inning relievers. Castro did a remarkable job of that in the second half of last season, but early in the season, many games fell apart because middle relievers couldn’t keep them close.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-morning-20180220-story.html

Even if Hays isn't left handed they need to use him. Why Rasmus? So he is left handed. This team needs to bring up its young players. The way the lunatics are running this organization is disgusting. Oh well. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree and I have no problem with that approach, I'm just saying I don't necessarily believe him when he says the team is really trying to compete in 2018. Actions speak louder than words. 

But these are his actions. I don't know whether he has budget issues or the demands of key free agents are just so astronomical that they don't make sense still, but I think adding Cashner and Tillman is Dan's way of saying we are better than yesterday and right now, that's the way he's approaching this spring.

I'm less than impressed overall but i do give him credit for sitting here on his hands. I'd still like to see a Cobb or Lynn added to the rotation.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

There's that POV, but then there's also the POV of why in the world are the Orioles pursuing an OFer coming off a hip injury like that?  Smh.

Just depends on the contact terms and whether he can pass the Orioles stringent physical. I doubt he can ask for much guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Even if Hays isn't left handed they need to use him. Why Rasmus? So he is left handed. This team needs to bring up its young players. The way the lunatics are running this organization is disgusting. Oh well. 

I'm not sure the Orioles think Hays is ready for full-time work in the big leagues. Remember, he has only spent half a year above Single-A. Is it truly crazy to consider that he might need more minor league at bats still? If he's not in right field, are you comfortable with Santander out there full time? Rasmus is probably a better option right now than both against right-handed pitching. 

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Are they talking with Colby? Or is his name on the FA of what is available?

As for Feldman, what I read in Roch, was don't dismiss him, as he is available.

As close as Roch is to the situation and knowing how he does things, I don't think he's throwing out a random name he just  looked up on a free agent list. i'm not saying the Orioles are going to sign Feldmen, but I bet there is more to it than just Roch throwing out a name.

Archived