interloper

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why not?

Look at this leaderboard.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SB_c_leagues.shtml

You have some guys on there that had really good careers.

If he hits like some of them. You can’t be automatic back there and let anyone run on you. That is all I am saying. I know calling a game and framing are real big. He looks athletic. 

If I recall correctly I read in the Francona book the Red Sox didn’t bother to care about holding runners close. I saw Varitek on that list. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If he hits like some of them. You can’t be automatic back there and let anyone run on you. That is all I am saying. I know calling a game and framing are real big. He looks athletic. 

If I recall correctly I read in the Francona book the Red Sox didn’t bother to care about holding runners close. I saw Varitek on that list. 

Sure better is better.

But if his only real weakness back there is throwing you don't move him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I have been saying elsewhere lots of pretty successful catchers have trouble throwing out baserunners.  I'm pretty sure Buck is greatly exaggerating the importance of controlling the running game.  If he hits and the rest of his defense is fine I don't have a problem with his throwing.

I think you may be underrating the issue.    Let’s assume Catcher A throws out 30% of the runners and 60 guys attempt a steal in 100 games.    Catcher B throws out 15% and 100 guys try to steal in 100 games.    That’s an extra 43 guys on 2B and 3 fewer outs.   How that translates into runs depends in part on how many outs there were when steal was attempted.    However, it’s in the neighborhood of 7-10 runs.

Just now, Frobby said:

I think you may be underrating the issue.    Let’s assume Catcher A throws out 30% of the runners and 60 guys attempt a steal in 100 games.    Catcher B throws out 15% and 100 guys try to steal in 100 games.    That’s an extra 43 guys on 2B and 3 fewer outs.   How that translates into runs depends in part on how many outs there were when steal was attempted.    However, it’s in the neighborhood of 7-10 runs.

Right, and supposedly top notch framing is worth twice that.

12 minutes ago, orioles4lyfe said:

Also, from some of the pics I saw, it looked like Bundy gained some weight. Did anyone else notice that? 

I watched the game Saturday and he looked the same to me. 

Also, not that it really matters, but he could/should have been out of that 2nd inning before the grand slam. Had a lot of good pitches, including a few sharp breaking balls, that should have been called strikes. For the first time out in spring training, it wasn't that bad at all.

ST games really don't bother me too much. I expect pitchers to try new things, a pitch, different angles etc. But my view of Gausman vs Bundy(during the season) is this, Gausman, looks, body language seems (to me) he doesn't have a clue, especially when things go south on him. To me Bundy is the opposite...he always looks confident and that he is in charge despite the situation.

3 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

ST games really don't bother me too much. I expect pitchers to try new things, a pitch, different angles etc. But my view of Gausman vs Bundy(during the season) is this, Gausman, looks, body language seems (to me) he doesn't have a clue, especially when things go south on him. To me Bundy is the opposite...he always looks confident and that he is in charge despite the situation.

This rings true to me... and apparently Palmer, too. Which makes it odd that Buck wouldn't lobby for a trade, given his emphasis on intangibles like that. But what do we know? We're just fans. o.O

Archived