Connolly's Jon Jay obsession on full display

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Over the past 4 years Jon Jay has been worth 4.8 WAR.

Over that same span Rasmus has been worth 7 WAR.  

Rasmus is younger.

What are we upset about again?

When Jay hits about .300 he has a good OBP.  I guess that's something.  Also, he spells Jon correctly.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And actually, assuming that Rasmus is primarily used as a platoon player (every indication seems to be that this will be the case), his career .318 OBP against RHP would actually be an improvement for our team relative to last year.......and is not that far off MLB average.

Trumbo, Manny, Rickard, Davis, and Hardy all really hurt us with OBP last year.....and I think it's reasonable to hope for most of them to do better in '18 (Beckham will certainly outperform Hardy).

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When Jay hits about .300 he has a good OBP.  I guess that's something.  Also, he spells Jon correctly.

Ah, I should've known you were one of those older guys still clinging to batting average.  ;)

I have some books I think you might enjoy reading if you're interested.........

In short, I'm sure that there is decent value in a guy that can slap around a lot of singles and some doubles and get on base.   But OPS ends up tracking a lot better with runs scored than AVG and OBP.  And Rasmus has him beat there.........furthermore when you notice that Jay is apparently a SUB REPLACEMENT defensive player for his career......it's not hard at all for me to see why we'd prefer Rasmus.

It's not that I don't agree with Connolly's premise here, it's just that I've never seen him so fired up about anything, and it's Jon Jay of all things? Of all things this offseason? Weird. 

But I like Orioles reporters getting fired up about something, at least. It's about time. 

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Ah, I should've known you were one of those older guys still clinging to batting average.  ;)

I have some books I think you might enjoy reading if you're interested.........

In short, I'm sure that there is decent value in a guy that can slap around a lot of singles and some doubles and get on base.   But OPS ends up tracking a lot better with runs scored than AVG and OBP.  And Rasmus has him beat there.........furthermore when you notice that Jay is apparently a SUB REPLACEMENT defensive player for his career......it's not hard at all for me to see why we'd prefer Rasmus.

I was really only getting at the fact that, sure, his OBP is often pretty good.  But it's heavily dependent on batting average, Jay walks in less than 10% of PAs.  I didn't explicitly state this, but batting average varies a fair amount and usually peaks early in one's career. 

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's not that I don't agree with Connolly's premise here, it's just that I've never seen him so fired up about anything, and it's Jon Jay of all things? Of all things this offseason? Weird. 

But I like Orioles reporters getting fired up about something, at least. It's about time. 

If only Baltimore had some kind of tabloid daily that featured unflattering pictures of Oriole players/coaches and headlines like "Kevin Millar Signing: Dumber or Dumbest?!?"  The 1998-2011 down period would have only lasted a few months.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

If only Baltimore had some kind of tabloid daily that featured unflattering pictures of Oriole players/coaches and headlines like "Kevin Millar Signing: Dumber or Dumbest?!?"  The 1998-2011 down period would have only lasted a few months.

I think that's taking what I said a liiiiiiittle far, don't you? I would hate that kind of media environment, obviously. 

I just think the Orioles writers around here could stand to ask a few more questions. Like, for example, what exactly is going on with the payroll this year? Why hasn't Buck been signed? It's just kind of funny to me that Jon Jay gets this passionate write up while there are much bigger questions out there.

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right?! You’d think Jay was Casey Kotchman or something.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think that's taking what I said a liiiiiiittle far, don't you? I would hate that kind of media environment, obviously. 

I just think the Orioles writers around here could stand to ask a few more questions. Like, for example, what exactly is going on with the payroll this year? Why hasn't Buck been signed? It's just kind of funny to me that Jon Jay gets this passionate write up while there are much bigger questions out there.

Just wait for opening day, when someone here will lament that Roch or somebody didn't directly ask Buck why he's such an idiot for making that 7th inning pitching change, like the New York/Boston media totally would have and that's why they win all the time.

53 minutes ago, theocean said:

Rasmus is a better player. Also, Buck loves him. I get this team needs better on-base-skills - but I don't think Jon Jay platooning in RF instead of Colby Rasmus is going to make or break the Orioles.

Yeah.  There are many, MANY things to criticize about the Orioles offseason.  Like not trading Machado for the best package, not seriously trying to extend Schoop, not trading Britton last year.  Not signing Jay, while frustrating, is not the worst thing in the world.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Dan Connolly getting fired up about not signing Jon Jay provides a good example of my assessment of Connolly.

53 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Yeah.  There are many, MANY things to criticize about the Orioles offseason.  Like not trading Machado for the best package, not seriously trying to extend Schoop, not trading Britton last year.  Not signing Jay, while frustrating, is not the worst thing in the world.

The packages offered for Machado were never good. The Astros offered Colin Moran for Britton. Are we really losing sleep over missing out on Colin Moran and Jon Jay?

Archived