Could Lynn, Cobb and Arrieta sign minor league contracts?

wildcard

9 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

Reportedly Lynn turned down a 2/20 deal from Minnesota.

Bowden reported on 3/6 that Cobb's asking price was currently at 3/54.

Offer 2 / 30 to Lynn and Cobb tell them you offered them both that and first one to accept gets the check.  Other one can wait until July to sign. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Yes, but it is same in principal. Just a paper move to buy time until major league deal kicks in. 

There is a ten day disabled list now. You could sign them put the on 10 day list when season begins and put them on a re-hab assignment. 

6 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

As well they should be. They have to start pitching. They can't sit out, miss games and think that's going to somehow raise their stock. Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay.

Just can't see any possibility of a minor league deal.

It isn’t really a minor league deal, it is a paper move. It allows the player to get ready and not waste a roster spot. 

We are 3 weeks from Opening Day, the last thing any of these teams who signs these players wants is them rushed and then ineffective. As long as the player gets paid why do they care? A major league deal is signed along with it.  

Just now, atomic said:

There is a ten day disabled list now. You could sign them put the on 10 day list when season begins and put them on a re-hab assignment. 

Have to prove they are hurt. You sign a pitcher to a significant deal and they immediately go on the DL? 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Didnt Lynn turn down 2/20 or 2/22 from the Twins?

Which makes sense. How much can he get in a one year deal? I’ll guess around $13/14M plus maybe more with incentives. If he had a down year he still gets a look from someone next year at say $3/4M. 

You either have to give him more money over 2 years with some incentives or talk him into a one year deal. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Which makes sense. How much can he get in a one year deal? I’ll guess around $13/14M plus maybe more with incentives. If he had a down year he still gets a look from someone next year at say $3/4M. 

You either have to give him more money over 2 years with some incentives or talk him into a one year deal. 

But, that one year deal wont be a MIL deal.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Didnt Lynn turn down 2/20 or 2/22 from the Twins?

Yep. I think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread.

I can't believe Mustufa turned down the QO of $17.5 and took the Royals offer. Can't believe the O's didn't swoop in (not even our concern really but the price....)

As for Lynn and Cobb-DD is a moron. If we don't sign one of these two, we are going to be fighting to keep out of the cellar all year..maybe that is the plan though...DD is gone after this year, he has tried to do the right thing by trading Britton and Manny but was blocked...he probably doesn't give a damn anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I can't believe Mustufa turned down the QO of $17.5 and took the Royals offer. Can't believe the O's didn't swoop in (not even our concern really but the price....)

As for Lynn and Cobb-DD is a moron. If we don't sign one of these two, we are going to be fighting to keep out of the cellar all year..maybe that is the plan though...DD is gone after this year, he has tried to do the right thing by trading Britton and Manny but was blocked...he probably doesn't give a damn anymore. 

I am sure DD would sign either of those guys to a contract if it were totally up to him.  He is gone after this year.  What does he care if they flame out they are bound to be better than Wright this season. 

I'd offer them both 2/25 million with a third year option with a mutual option that becomes guarenteed if they throw over 350 innings in those 2 years for 15 million.  Send that to both of them and whoever signs it first get it.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

It's interesting that some posters know why the Orioles haven't signed one of these guys when their need to upgrade the rotation is so obvious. Rene 88 says it's because Duquette is too stupid to recognize the urgency of that need. Others say it's because Lynn and Cobb are demanding three-year contracts, which would violate a cherished principle of the owner, while still others have blamed ownership's indecision more generally. And some have said it's because they simply don't want to pitch for the Orioles, even if they're offered more money over two or three years. I don't know the reason -- and of course it's still possible we pick up one of them.

It's frustrating to think of the Orioles -- after not trading Machado or Britton or Brach or O'Day or Jones last year or in the off-season, and saying they're trying to contend -- going into the 2018 season without adding any quality starting pitching. If that happens, it will be even more frustrating (for me, anyway) not to know why. I can guess, but that's all. 

Archived