Brian Graham talks Orioles prospects from Sarasota

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, theocean said:

Obviously, Harvey could use some experience in the high minors since he hasn't pitched much in so long. But, how much of a pitcher's development is just a young kid growing?

For instance -  Bundy was drafted at 18, Gausman was drafted a year later out of college. But, Gausman was closer to being Major League ready. Is part of that just Gausman was older and had more time to finish growing?

I have no idea here, just looking for some insight of someone who knows.

That's part of it, and of course physical maturity isn't reached at the same age by everyone. The other big part of it is quality of competition, Gausman was a friday night pitcher in the SEC and he pitched on the Cape, that's probably the just about the best amateur competition available. Pitchers need to see good hitting to learn how to get good hitters out. Harvey hasn't been using his changeup in games in the minors because the concern it'll just speed up bats that can't hit his fastball. He needs to face hitters that can crush premium velocity if it's not located or doesn't have movement. That's something that even Gausman may not have got enough of, because he thinks he can beat guys with just velo at times.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

http://www.wbal.com/article/298783/21/brett-talks-to-brian-graham-about-the-orioles-top-prospects

Worth a listen, key things that stood out to me.

- Sedlock might not be fully healthy yet

- DL Hall throwing 92-94 deceptively easy in live BP

- He seemed to indicate that Tanner Scott was an opening day option for the big club, I'd previously heard he was definitely ticketed for Norfolk.

- He seemed very open to Mountcastle moving off third, pretty much saying I don't know where he'll end up

- Very excited about some of the young pitcher's bullpen sessions in minor league camp, he named Lowther, Baumann, Hall, Bishop, and Dietz. Not sure if it means anything, but Dietz was the first name out of his mouth.

- Praised Sisco's bat and defense

Thanks for the transcription. DL Hall is starting in Delmarva right?  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the transcription. DL Hall is starting in Delmarva right?  

I haven't heard direct confirmation, but Melewski has mentioned him starting there and that's where I had assumed he'd start. 

Archived