Castro moves into the lead for the 5th starter

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure about Avery off the top of my head but Maddux had pretty decent velocity for most of his career.

"Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. Though his fastball touched 93 mph in his early years, his velocity steadily declined throughout his career, and was never his principal focus as a pitcher. By the end of his career, his fastball averaged less than 86 mph."

I stand corrected about Avery though. I kept hearing about his finese when I was younger even though he had a great fastball.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

"Maddux relied on his command, composure, and guile to outwit hitters. Though his fastball touched 93 mph in his early years, his velocity steadily declined throughout his career, and was never his principal focus as a pitcher. By the end of his career, his fastball averaged less than 86 mph."

I stand corrected about Avery though. I kept hearing about his finese when I was younger even though he had a great fastball.

93 was pretty darn good in the late '80's.  Guys like Clemens were known as real fireballers and they only hit 95.

As for his fastball averaging less than 86 MPH?   Yea, in his last year.  Brooks baseball only has two years of data for him but in '07 they have his average fastball (sinker) at 86-87.  They don't have a 4 seamer listed. 

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=118120&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/09/2018&s_type=2

I'm thinking for most of his career he worked 90-91 which was pretty average for his era.

o

4 free passes (3 Walks and 1 Hit Batsman) over 3.67 Innings Pitched.

His best inning was the 3rd, when he essentially got 4 Outs on only 13 Pitches (Schoop muffed a playable ball that was hit into the shift into a single.)

11 OUTS: 5 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Strikeouts

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))) (vs. YANKEES, 3/14) )))))) [Spring Training]

IP:lll 3.67

H:lll  4) ll(1 Home Run, 3 Singles)

R:llll  4

BB:ll 3 *

SO:ll 2

Pitches: l) 68 )l(41 )lStrikes, )l27 )lBalls)

2018 ERA: l)  6.75  )  [Spring Training] )   6.67 IP (5 ER)

2018 WHIP: l)  1.650  )  [Spring Training] )   6.67 IP (11 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .250  )  (6 for 24)  )  [Spring Training]  

* Castro also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(91 llStrikes, lll61 llBalls)

30 ll(15 llStrikes, ll15 llllBalls)

13 lll(10 llStrikes, lll31 lllBalls)

10 lll(71 llStrikes, lll31 ll.Balls) )) **

* )) Castro retired 2 batters before departing in the 4th inning.

o

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Meanwhile, Cortes is having an excellent outing in relief of Castro — 3.1 scoreless so far, with 1 hit, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.   We’ll see if Buck brings him out for more.    

How many Yankees regulars are involved in there? Not being snarky just curious.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meanwhile, Cortes is having an excellent outing in relief of Castro — 3.1 scoreless so far, with 1 hit, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts.   We’ll see if Buck brings him out for more.    

Cortes was sharp. Some nasty pitches, changing speeds.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has such a strong minor league resume. 2.08 ERA across all levels although only 50+ IP in AAA. I can't see sending him back when we have so many question marks. Does anyone really think he's worse than Mike Wright?

Archived