Lance Lynn Signs with the Twins (One-Year Deal)

OFFNY

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sanchez on a milb deal wouldn’t be the worst move. Given the state of our depth. 

E.Carrera got released by the Jays. He wouldn’t be a bad pickup either. This is where we are at as Os fans. 

Sanchez would probably be more willing to take an milb deal, having picked up a free .6 million from the Twins, and it being super-late in the off season. 

But honestly, it feels like he's done.  Like, done to the point where even minor league depth signing money feels like it would be a waste.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think any other team was willing to give Tillman a ML contract?

I am okay with giving Tillman a major leGue deal, it’s like a $3m option. I’ll do that any day for a possible good SP any day and every day. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

My rule with the new CBS would be never to give a pick for a one year deal. The money aspect has to be completely crazy for one to make sense. 

I don’t follow you.   It used to cost a first round pick, now it’s the team’s third pick.    More incentive than before to sign guys.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think Lynn's deal was pretty fair for both parties. By taking the one-year deal he gets out from under the compensation weight of the qualifying offer (which cannot be offered again) and stands to make $14 million if he earns his bonuses this season. MLBTR predicted he'd get a 4/56 deal, so the AAV would be the same. Plus, there's a good chance he'll be headed for the playoffs.

The Twins see 2018 as the last year for their window, with Dozier and Mauer probably gone after this season. So the 1-year deal is right for them. And if he doesn't perform well or is unable to hit his marks due to injury, the Twins save $2mm.

Don't agree with this - Lynn is a one year rental while they wait for Pineda to heal and Gonsalves and Romero to finish developing.  Mauer's a Chris Davis scenario and while Dozier's an asset, he's more like Schoop than a franchise player.

Buxton, Sano, Berrios, Kepler, Rosario, Polanco are the core of that club and with triple rebuilders in that division, I wouldn't be surprised to see them push 90 wins/year the next few seasons.  

For rebuilding your market, the ALE vs. the ALC's triple rebuild is night and day.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The way the organization is structured is dumb. I don't think Buck, Brady, or DD are dumb. They likely all have different ideas (wildly divergent) of what direction to take the team in. With the multiple power centers structure PA has fostered, you end up with the treading water, hoping for the best situation that we have today.

Yes, and this has been my complaint going back to 2012. For the crowd who likes to trot out the team’s number of wins in a four or five year period, it’s in spite of having a plan not because of one.

Many guys on those teams outperformed projections (Tillman,   Miggy, McClouth, Chen, Davis was a throwaway, Lew Ford). Ok, maybe not the last guy.

Haven't Stotle here in a while, but the main thing I agreed with him about is the fact that the Orioles never (and I do mean never) have a plan. The lack of accountability with a person in charge leaves the entire organization open to criticism. If the GM, or EVP, or special assistance to the almighty old man were held accountable Angelos would only be accountable for his hiring of those in charge. This is not the case. Too many talking heads within the warehouse and too much deliberation on big decisions. 

The business of baseball is not like the business of an attorney. Attorneys may be useful in that business, but it should not be run as if you’re trying to beat big tobacco. The same tactics don’t work.

Rant over.

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Doubtful. They are the same side of politics (the moral and right side).

I respect Jim Palmer in many ways, more than I can express in words. God bless him.

Thx for the sermon, I missed church today.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would be amusing if everyone started blaming Maryland's tax rate instead of ownership when players sign elsewhere.

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

What he said. It takes two to tango. Who wants to pitch for a contract next year in Camden Yards for a .500 team?

(Besides Tillman...)

Last time I checked it was money these guys played for.  Suppose they offered him a guaranteed 20 million for one year?  Would the fear of Camden Yards factor go away do you think?  18 million?  15 million?  Heck, I know a million dollars is not much anymore but for one year if you said well you can go to work in Minneapolis or I will pay you a million dollars extra to go work in Baltimore...not hard for me to pick the extra.

I don’t buy any explanation except they already decided back in the winter that they were not signing any other pitchers other than the lowest tier.   All the talk about being in contact or so called offers that were turned down is a bunch of BS in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t follow you.   It used to cost a first round pick, now it’s the team’s third pick.    More incentive than before to sign guys.

Can’t offer a second time. So no Cruz situation. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also, international bonus pool money (do the Orioles even have any left?). Now we know the real reason the Orioles wouldn’t be in on Cobb, Lynn or Arrieta.

Mmm, yeah right.

21 hours ago, Keygans said:

Can’t wait to hear the “reasons” from the brass that we didn’t beat or match this....

We need to face reality. Let's say you have no connection to Baltimore. Why would you want to move your family here? This is one of the worst run cities in the nation. Look at the murder rate. Baltimore is not a place people want to move to.

Archived