Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

This writer asserts that there is a possibility of it happening.

MLB Free Agency Rumors: Alex Cobb to Yankees' Rival?

(By Joe Giglio)

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/03/mlb_free_agency_rumors_alex_cobb_to_yankees_rival.html

o

Source on that is Nick Carfardo of the Boston Globe.  Not a reliable source, even though Cobb to Orioles makes perfect sense.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Source on that is Nick Carfardo of the Boston Globe.  Not a reliable source, even though Cobb to Orioles makes perfect sense.  

That's all he is saying, that it makes sense. No rumor just speculation.

16 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

This writer asserts that there is a possibility of it happening.

MLB Free Agency Rumors: Alex Cobb to Yankees' Rival?

(By Joe Giglio)

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/03/mlb_free_agency_rumors_alex_cobb_to_yankees_rival.html

o

o

Schmuck also contends that the Orioles ought to make it happen.

If Alex Cobb Hasn't Ruled Out Baltimore, the Orioles Should Rule Him In

(By Peter Schmuck)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bs-sp-orioles-should-make-a-run-at-alex-cobb-20180311-story.html

o

23 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Dan Connolly, for one, has stated several times this offseason that the Orioles haven't been interested in Cobb. Maybe that will change now that he's the only one left, but I doubt it. 

I agree. It just makes so much darn sense.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He did have TJ surgery in 2015. There’s only so many years in a surgically repaired elbow. He’s already got 2 years of mileage on it. I still think we should do 2/28 and call it a day. 

I dunno if that holds any water. There's only so many years in an elbow period. I'm not aware of any studies that have shown TJS leads to less years of pitching than normal, assuming the pitcher makes a successful recovery, which Cobb has.

There are definitely some recent reports out there linking the Orioles to Cobb to some degree. Jim Bowden actually mentioned Orioles' interest in Cobb last week.  Now, I know a lot of people don't think very highly about Bowden so take it FWIW. Here is an excerpt from an article Bowden wrote for The Athletic a few days ago: 

Alex Cobb, RHP

Cobb, through his agent, made it clear that he is looking for a four- or five-year deal early in the process with hopes of landing a deal for at least $80 million. That price tag recently was reduced to three years and $54 million, and at it this point it seems likely that Cobb can expect a deal in the three-year, $13-$15 million per season range.  

Best fit:  Orioles 

The Orioles have always liked Cobb and his ability to win in the AL East, and they desperately need him in their starting rotation, which presently consists of Dylan Bundy, Kevin Gausman and Andrew Cashner. The Orioles are all-in trying to win this year. Their organization is loaded with free-agents-to-be, including Manny Machado, Adam Jones, Zach Britton, Buck Showalter and yes, even GM Dan Duquette, so it makes sense to be in win-now mode. The Orioles have the offense and bullpen to make a Wild Card run, but the addition of Cobb would surely help them get there. 

Other possibilities: Phillies, Brewers 

He also tweeted the following:

#Orioles remain in constant contact with Alex Cobb's representatives according to sources but still apart on value.  #Phillies staying in touch with both Jake Arrietta & Lance Lynn representatives according to sources. #Nationals #Brewers still considered possibilities for FA SP

Interesting if true...

7 minutes ago, Os84 said:

There are definitely some recent reports out there linking the Orioles to Cobb to some degree. Jim Bowden actually mentioned Orioles' interest in Cobb last week.  Now, I know a lot of people don't think very highly about Bowden so take it FWIW. Here is an excerpt from an article Bowden wrote for The Athletic a few days ago: 

He also tweeted the following:

Interesting if true...

Come on Orioles close this.  You know you won't have to overpay for Cobb this year.  

Archived