John Angelos and Brady taking over? (note on Boras as well)

O's are Legends

Shakeup could be in Orioles’ future

Keep an eye on the Orioles’ situation. You not only have players who are reaching the end of their contracts, but manager Buck Showalter and general manager Dan Duquette are as well.

There’s also a shift in ownership responsibilities, where John Angelos is said to have taken over for his father, Peter. He seems to respect the information he’s getting from vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson, whom he’s known for 20 years. There’s evidence that Anderson had a lot to do with the team’s recent free agent signings, such as Andrew Cashner.

There’s speculation that Anderson might move into the GM seat once Duquette’s contract runs out after the season.

“I just don’t see Brady wanting to be tied down to a desk,” said one American League executive. “I’m not saying he couldn’t do the job, but he would have to change his life quite a bit and I’m not sure he wants to do that.”

Showalter has had a good relationship with the Angelos family, though a poor season could hurt his chances of an extension.

While we reported about the possible sale of the team a week ago, it doesn’t appear the Angelos family will sell, though the Orioles could face a total rebuild with Manny Machado, Adam Jones, and Zach Britton all heading into free agency.

There haven’t been signs that the Orioles will attempt to get Machado re-signed, but that shouldn’t be ruled out. The Orioles thought they had lost Chris Davis when Scott Boras appealed to Peter Angelos to sign him to a long-term deal in 2016, when Duquette preferred to have signed an elite pitcher. The Orioles gave Davis seven years and $161 million.

Duquette has always seemed hamstrung by the Orioles’ unwillingness to spend the money needed to build a team that can contend with the Red Sox and Yankees in the AL East. A couple of years ago, Peter Angelos denied Duquette the chance to interview for the job of Blue Jays team president because he was still under contract.

Duquette is one of the best GMs in the game today. There may not be a lot of openings after this season, but Miami could be one place where Duquette could surface if he’s not retained.

Nick Cafardo - Boston Globe

Everybody in baseball is bestowed a job title, and Dan Duquette is the general manager of the Baltimore Orioles, while Brady Anderson is the vice president of baseball operations. But the perception of many within the Orioles’ organization is that Anderson holds more practical power right now, built on his long history with the organization. Duquette’s contract runs out after this season.

Olney

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Does anyone have a read on John Angelos yet? This article doesn't inspire hope that he's an improvement over Peter.

I like his politics. Not sure about his management style but can he be worse?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grienke.

Price

Zimmermann

Kazmir  

Cueto

Leake

Samardzija

Chen

Kennedy

Do you think the O's get one of the good, one of the bad, or one of the ugly out of that group?

Noted but Davis is one of the worst contracts in baseball so....

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grienke.

Price

Zimmermann

Kazmir  

Cueto

Leake

Samardzija

Chen

Kennedy

Do you think the O's get one of the good, one of the bad, or one of the ugly out of that group?

Sure seems like we were interested in Zimmerman and Shark.  Davis does have a winning record on the bump though.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Does anyone have a read on John Angelos yet? This article doesn't inspire hope that he's an improvement over Peter.

He was in attendance at spring training. Walking among the fans with just one attendant. Spoke on the phone frequently. Even when walking. Acknowledged those who acknowledged him. In hearing his speaches and interviews I would say he is a well read child of the universe who is not afraid of the oblige that nobility bestows. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

He was in attendance at spring training. Walking among the fans with just one attendant. Spoke on the phone frequently. Even when walking. Acknowledged those who acknowledged him. In hearing his speaches and interviews I would say he is a well read child of the universe who is not afraid of the oblige that nobility bestows. 

Like Peter, there's a lot to like about the guy in general. I just mean can he run the Warehouse like there's some semblance of order and clear hierarchy. Can he make good baseball decisions. Etc. We don't know yet.

Not a lot of things happening this off-season other than the Cashner signing.  I wouldn't be too excited about the John Angelos and Brady Anderson combo.  I am not sure why they don't just promote Brady now if that is the plan going forward.  Why let DD have to suffer through this.  I am sure it will be hard enough to get another quality GM without the Orioles making a mockery of the GM title once again. 

Archived