Who gets DFA'd to make room for Rasmus, Gentry, Valencia and Joely?

wildcard

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced all four of the ones you call out make the Opening Day roster. I believe we will see Rasmus and Valencia, but necessarily Gentry. Does he have an opt out? If so, then maybe we do. I still think the Orioles insist on a pointless backup UTL in addition to Valencia. Add in a back up catcher and Santander and you have a full bench.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Tillman has a guaranteed contract.  At worst he starts on the DL.  He is not getting cut before the season begins.  

But couldn’t the Orioles save a ton of money with the termination pay trick before the season? I think Tillman will be on opening day roster, but if he gets shelled in the rest of his spring starts (2?), then I could see the Orioles releasing him and then signing him to a minor league deal with an opt out date. Very unlikely, but a possibility. 

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

But couldn’t the Orioles save a ton of money with the termination pay trick before the season? I think Tillman will be on opening day roster, but if he gets shelled in the rest of his spring starts (2?), then I could see the Orioles releasing him and then signing him to a minor league deal with an opt out date. Very unlikely, but a possibility. 

How can they save a ton of money, his whole contract is not a ton of money, compared against the total payroll budget.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

No.

Tillman has a guaranteed contract.

I'm assuming Ynoa is on the DL so he won't get cut right away. Kelly, Crichton, and Mesa make the most sense. In the event of a miracle and Cobb is signed then I think they send Cortes or Arajou back as well. I think Wright has made the team as a long reliever, swing starter. I hope Tillman has a short leash, I can't imagine any scenario where he is cut before Opening Day. He will at least get 4-5 starts in the regular season and if I know Buck, it will be to the all star break even if he has a 5 ERA.

I'm not 100% on Joely making the team, although his spring has been undeniably good and a power lefty in the bullpen would be great. But as it stands, I still have Cortes and Araujo making the team and unless they go with 3 bench players to start the year (or less than 5 SP, which is possible), there's no room for him. 

Just now, interloper said:

I'm not 100% on Joely making the team, although his spring has been undeniably good and a power lefty in the bullpen would be great. But as it stands, I still have Cortes and Araujo making the team and unless they go with 3 bench players to start the year (or less than 5 SP, which is possible), there's no room for him. 

That said, I understand Araujo's no lock himself. 

41 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Certainly not Tillman. He's one of Bucks boys. 

Buck will support well beyond a point of comfort a player who has performed well for him.  I promise you this right now.  IF Tillman throws two more starts and is as poor as he was this week.  He is getting cut.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

Tillman has a guaranteed contract.

Which is one reason why he'll be on the 25-man for a while. (I assume there's no basis to DL him; maybe there is, or will be.) The other reason is that he's the #4 starter, and nobody is eager to admit the foolishness of that "plan." Tillman will have to take some lumps during the championship season before any action is taken, IMO.

Archived