Sarasota(ish) 3/21-3/24

Legend_Of_Joey

As long as we don't get a blizzard, I should be heading to Florida on Wednesday and will be back Sunday morning. The plan is to see the Orioles at Yankees Wednesday night, the AAA/AA teams Thursday, Tampa Bay vs Orioles Friday, and a double on Saturday with the AAA/AA teams against the Twins in the early game then the Twins vs Orioles on the Saturday night MLB game. First time down for Spring Training.

I plan on watching Harvey closely on Wednesday. Anyone else you want me to check out in person, since the radio and MLB.com play by play can only do so much? I'll try and do what @Frobby did with a breakdown each game, as best I can.

Also, anyone else in the area and going to any of those games?

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'll try and do what @Frobby did with a breakdown each game, as best I can.

I’m sure you will have a lot more nuanced details about individual players than I was able to provide. I’m no swing doctor/pitch mechanics guy.    

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

As long as we don't get a blizzard, I should be heading to Florida on Wednesday and will be back Sunday morning. The plan is to see the Orioles at Yankees Wednesday night, the AAA/AA teams Thursday, Tampa Bay vs Orioles Friday, and a double on Saturday with the AAA/AA teams against the Twins in the early game then the Twins vs Orioles on the Saturday night MLB game. First time down for Spring Training.

I plan on watching Harvey closely on Wednesday. Anyone else you want me to check out in person, since the radio and MLB.com play by play can only do so much? I'll try and do what @Frobby did with a breakdown each game, as best I can.

I think an important player to watch would be Cody Sedlock, is he fully healthy, has he gone back to his college delivery with the smooth arm circle, what's his velocity look like? 

Ryan McKenna's defense would be interesting to me as well, he looks like (in one home to first time) he's much faster this spring. I've also heard that he has a good arm. Last year I didn't see the good arm and he was kind of awkward in CF.

Jomar Reyes of course, how he looks at 3B, he improved his agility and his body last year, is it enough to give him a shot to stick there? Is he starting to get to his plus or better raw power in-game?

Lucas Long, is he working as a starter or as a reliever? Where is he velocity at and if starting, how do his secondaries look?

You know DJ well, so your new feedback on seeing him would be nice.  

Others if possible - Bauman, Hanifee, Teague, Bonilla, the Bros. Gonzo, Akin and Dietz (triple digits?).

Look forward to your reviews, plus your in depth chat with AW!

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not sure if he would be involved with either of the minor league teams you're looking at, but I'd be interested in hearing more about Lamar Sparks.

I'm going to do a 3 game trip to watch Delmarva at some point this season and will hopefully have a full scouting report on him, but I'd also be interested in hearing anything about Sparks from Spring Training.

6 hours ago, weams said:

Get out while you can. 

Trying my best. If anyone can do a "warm weather" dance for a bit, that would be helpful...

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure you will have a lot more nuanced details about individual players than I was able to provide. I’m no swing doctor/pitch mechanics guy.    

Haha, I'll try my best. I don't know anything about being a swing doctor or a pitch mechanic guy. All I really know is "guy threw ball that no one could hit."

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think an important player to watch would be Cody Sedlock, is he fully healthy, has he gone back to his college delivery with the smooth arm circle, what's his velocity look like? 

Ryan McKenna's defense would be interesting to me as well, he looks like (in one home to first time) he's much faster this spring. I've also heard that he has a good arm. Last year I didn't see the good arm and he was kind of awkward in CF.

Jomar Reyes of course, how he looks at 3B, he improved his agility and his body last year, is it enough to give him a shot to stick there? Is he starting to get to his plus or better raw power in-game?

Lucas Long, is he working as a starter or as a reliever? Where is he velocity at and if starting, how do his secondaries look?

I'll keep an eye out for all of them. I don't know if Sedlock has been pitching in the A or AA games, but I'll try and find something. Same with McKenna. Should be able to see Reyes and maybe Long.

5 hours ago, bobmc said:

You know DJ well, so your new feedback on seeing him would be nice.  

Others if possible - Bauman, Hanifee, Teague, Bonilla, the Bros. Gonzo, Akin and Dietz (triple digits?).

Look forward to your reviews, plus your in depth chat with AW!

Definitely going to look out for whoever is pitching. So many arms for this season that give hope! I'll also try and scout Stewart pretty well.

Haha, hopefully I get to meet up with AW. I might also get to meet up with another player in the organization, so who knows!

5 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Not sure if he would be involved with either of the minor league teams you're looking at, but I'd be interested in hearing more about Lamar Sparks.

So much hype about him last season in the GCL, I would love to see him in Spring (since Delmarva gets about 1 visit a year from me...) and get to see him.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm going to do a 3 game trip to watch Delmarva at some point this season and will hopefully have a full scouting report on him, but I'd also be interested in hearing anything about Sparks from Spring Training.

Nice! I look forward to your report and I'll try my best at finding Sparks.

3 hours ago, weams said:

I've got Bowie's first series in Harrisburg. All three games. 

Nice. I'll be at Bowie for their home opener and then a few more games during the season.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Weather permitting, I plan on leaving tomorrow too and attending Saturday's and perhaps Friday's game.  When is the AA/AAA game on Saturday? 

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

My brother and Dad got down yesterday and will be there through the weekend.   Wish I was, but that work thing...grrr.  

Archived