Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

24 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Along with their salaries.  Dont forget that part.

2019 might be a little ugly, but it's not likely to be be nuclear winter for years either.

Re: the Sherman tweet...

"but an interesting spot to give 4-yr deal: Balt on paper remains not as good as #Yankees #Redsox maybe #Bluejays too, and yr from now Britton, Machado, Jones, Brach could be gone as free agents."

I'm not sure it's that odd or "interesting."  Think of it this way, we lose those guys, none of whom are rotation pieces.  Further, pretty much all of our most heralded guys rising through the system are bats.  This move helps stabilize our rotation along with Bundy and Gausman for when those guys start contributing.  Essentially growing the bats and buying (one of the) arms.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

We don't need a 5th starter until April 9th. He should be ready by then.

Someone might have already addressed this, but this is incorrect. The Orioles will need a 5th starter on April 4, the sixth game of the season. It might be a stretch for Cobb to be ready by then.

54 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

And if Cobb signed elsewhere, Sherman would have tweeted that the Orioles wasted the chance to compete this year while they still had Britton, Machado, Jones, Brach...

I don't know who this Sherman is but seemed like a negative comment to me that may have been made by someone from another team's following.

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah but were they expected to pitch that well?   And no pitcher had more than 2.7 WAR that year.  Steve Pearce lead the team in WAR. Who would have expected that? 

If you are saying this team is better on paper than that team was on paper before the season was played, I’d have to think about it.    I thought you were comparing this team on paper to the 2014 team as the players actually performed that year.   That pitching staff maxed out (except Ubaldo), Pearce had a great year, Cruz exceeded expectations, etc.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s how I think it’s used here in connection with Manny.    How can you be a generational talent when you’re in the same generation as Trout?

Because you would be an infielder instead of a centerfielder.

Do you think Kershaw can't be a generational talent because of Trout?

7 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Someone might have already addressed this, but this is incorrect. The Orioles will need a 5th starter on April 4, the sixth game of the season. It might be a stretch for Cobb to be ready by then.

Just have him go four and turn it over to the bullpen.

You know like how half the starts went last year.

I think I have gone through so many phases of frustration with this team and the way that I perceive the future, that I am actually welcoming this signing with open arms. It may seem perplexing to some in this situation, but I think one thing I keep in mind is that, in theory, we can be competitive every night. It may not play out that way because it is baseball, but if Gausman and Bundy take a step forward, Cobb leads, Cashner is solid, and we get a consistent Tillman, there can be excitement every night.

This doesn't mean that there is denial about a rebuild, but it may not be a total demolition before a rebuild. As some others have noted, we will be losing some pieces that have come to be critical to our team, but that doesn't mean that new players, whether in the system or external, aren't going to come and become just as essential. We obsess over the flaws of our essential pieces, yet the mere mention of them leaving has us frothing at the mouth. I hope some of them even want/get to stay. 

I just know that I am welcoming a season where I know (as much as you can know in baseball) that each night there is a chance for the Orioles to win. There is a chance for a nice win streak. If you get home 30 minutes late for the game, the Orioles aren't already down by 5 and our pitcher has 55 pitches in the 3rd while the opposing team is at 26. The way of the Astros is seductive, but it's not the only way. If we can retool and shift gears while not going totally into the gutter, I am game. I look forward to us getting to have fun in the game threads and feeling tension in the later innings rather than lamenting our starter who gave the game away before the 4th. 

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Just put $500 on the OVER for 72 wins.  I hope he passes the physical.  :)

Keep any Rule5 with promise over Wright.  I'd bet he passes through waivers.

Odds Selected Lines Risk To Win
Straight Bet  
3/20/2018 9:08 PM
 + 135 Over 73 regular season wins  2018 MLB REGULAR SEASON WINS - REGULAR SEASON WINS Baltimore Orioles most regular season wins , MLB 3/29/2018 4:10 PM                500   675

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

No, we have a day off on the 30th. The rotation can start over with normal rest on the 4th.

You are wrong.

March 29 -- Starter 1

March 31 -- Starter 2

April 1 -- Starter 3

April 2 -- Starter 4

April 3 -- Starter 1 on normal rest

Who goes April 4?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you are saying this team is better on paper than that team was on paper before the season was played, I’d have to think about it.    I thought you were comparing this team on paper to the 2014 team as the players actually performed that year.   That pitching staff maxed out (except Ubaldo), Pearce had a great year, Cruz exceeded expectations, etc.

I think the O's or any other team in a similar market needs to have a season where some of their players exceed expectations to be a World Series threat. Just how it is.

Even the Royals didn't get a ton of love when they made back-to-back World Series.

Archived