Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He will likely catch on somewhere, I would think. He was a league average starting pitcher until last year.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

I doubt the Orioles care much about what kind of comp pick Tampa gets, so long as the draft pick the Orioles lose is unaffected.     I can’t imagine the negotiations will hinge on that point.  

I disagree. If the magic number is $50MM, a smart team would convince him to sign for $49.999,999 because it is in the best interest of the player's new team, as opposed to being in the best interest of the player's former team. What kind of person would balk over the $1? If that breaks the deal, the Orioles would be right to let him sign elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Yeah, I'll take decades of historical data over a couple of spring training starts. If he doesn't improve the peripherals, he's going to be bad.

I just disagree. He might get knocked around every now and then if he's catching too much of the plate or if he loses the breaking stuff for a game. But I don't think he's going to be outright BAD. He's going to be mostly fine, and I think he's proven that. Just because a guy has suspect peripherals doesn't automatically doom him to being BAD. We just need him to be decent and there's almost no reason to think he won't be based on the stuff he's showing.

We know bad when we see it. We know that Mike Wright has no idea where the ball is going but gets outs sometimes anyway. To me, that doesn't seem to be the case with Cashner.

Just now, interloper said:

I just disagree. He might get knocked around every now and then if he's catching too much of the plate or if he loses the breaking stuff for a game. But I don't think he's going to be outright BAD. He's going to be mostly fine, and I think he's proven that. Just because a guy has suspect peripherals doesn't automatically doom him to being BAD. We just need him to be decent and there's almost no reason to think he won't be based on the stuff he's showing.

We know bad when we see it. We know that Mike Wright has no idea where the ball is going but gets outs sometimes anyway. To me, that doesn't seem to be the case with Cashner.

Who has had sustained success as a starter in recent years with a k rate under 5?

Archived