Looking back now, did the Orioles actually have a plan? Or still nah?

interloper

10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

At the end of it all, this team looks like a prototypical Dan Duquette team.

• Average (at best) rotation
  • Homer or die offense (feast or famine)
  • Above average bullpen*

So...if that's the model, it *appears* there was a plan here. It's not the sexiest, but it seems like the ole "We won't spend as much, but maybe we can luck our way into the playoffs". 

*I certainly think this bullpen has the potential to be bad if Brach doesn't regain form or O'Day. We're playing w/ fire with Britton out.

With Cobb it's better than it was. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'd love to know if the price for Cobb was higher on March 20th or on March 1st.

Did we get a bargain waiting him out, or did he get more when the O's panicked about having Mike Wright or equivalent in the starting rotation

As always signing 30+ pitchers to 4 year deals is risky, but given that they refused to re-build it was the move they had to make.

Bothers me that in a wild card race that always goes down to the wire that we are missing a couple of Cobb starts in the beginning of the year.

Now I think the O's big weakness is the offense if Davis and Trumbo are allowed to clog up the middle of the order for most of the year, when there are better options (Valencia, Alvarez, Sisco)

I don’t think we’ll ever know if Cobb could have been had more cheaply earlier this offseason, but I tend to doubt it.    Overall, I’m pleased to have Cobb at this price, which is lower than I would have expected when the offseason started.   And four years doesn’t bother me, because if the past is prologue, we’ll still be needing starters to supplement any home-grown pitchers four years from now.    

Now, it’s up to Cobb to show he’s no Ubaldo/Gallardo/Miley, and actually live up to his paycheck.   

Archived