Battle for the Bullpen

sportsfan8703

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where's Brian Matusz when you need him?

If the season goes really well, but Britton is any kind of shaky, July could be another episode of Eduardo Rodriguez for Andrew Miller.

Sneak previews suggest Hunter Harvey for Brad Hand could be the casting this time, though Hand should cost more than Miller as he's under LTC.

Or more likely, if it is tooth and nail for the wildcard, and one of the 5 starters is no good by midyear, Cole Hamels feels very possible this year.  We want a lefty and I think the Rangers are quietly heading for White Sox/Royals/Tigers land.

Who would be against snagging Holland? xD How much would it take? It is crazy he's still out there. Wouldn't that be a huge sign we're really in this thing to make a run. Then imagine Britton coming back midseason and being even somewhat close to what he was...wow...okay I'll stop dreaming now haha

o

(vs. RED SOX, 3/22) )))))) [Spring Training]

4.67 shutout innings for the Orioles bullpen today.

Pedro Araujo inherited runners on 1st and 2nd base with one out in the 5th inning. He stranded both of those runners, and got 3 more outs in the 6th. Overall, he recorded 5 outs while facing 5 batters.

Joely Rodriguez faced 3 batters, and got all 3 of them to ground out in the 7th inning.

Mychal Antonio Givens faced 4 batters and got 3 outs in the 8th inning, ceding only a single.

James Teague/Tague recovered from his wound at the Kennedy assassination in November of 1963 to record the save, with a little help from Austin Hays in right-field.

o

They said on the telecast that Castro was out of options. That true? If not I would send him to AAA and keep Araujo.  JoelyRod has an option. Send him down when Cobb is ready or better yet DFA Wright, and keep him.

Brach

Givens

O'Day

Bleier

Araujo

Cortes/ Wright SP until Cobb is ready

Joely Rod

On 3/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Now that we have the rotation figured out, who makes the bullpen?

Locks("A" squad)-

1.  Brad Brach - Closer

2.  Mychal Givens- Set up

3.  Darren O'day- Swiss army knife

4.  Richard Bleier- Lefty. A 1.98 ERA in 86.1 IP last season makes him a lock.  

Likely("B" squad)-

5.  Miguel Castro - MR/LR.  The only way he doesn't make it is if we keep him stretched out in AAA until Cobb is ready for the rotation. 

6.  Mike Wright- MR/LR.  Like it or not, I think he gets a shot.  Sink or swim time.  

7.  Nestor Cortes- LR, Spot LH SP.  Can we really afford to give up SP depth to keep another short reliever?

Top candidates to unseat the bottom three:

Pedro Arajuo-  Do we carry an 8 man pen to start the season?  We could steal an extended look at him if so.  This spring, 7IP, 2.57 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 7 K's, 2 BB

Joely Rodriguez- Lefty. This spring, 7.2 iP, 1.17 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 6 K's, 1 BB

Josh Edgin- Lefty.  This spring, 6 IP, 0.67 WHIP, 1.50 ERA, 3 K's,  2BB

Thoughts?

Good thread.

I think I've posted htis elsewhere, but I think while Cobb is in the minors, it should be as follows:

Cortes - Number 5 starter

Brach, Givens, O'day, Bleier.

Wright

Araujo

Rodriguez

Option Castro.

When Cobb is ready, reevaluate.  Strongly consider DFAing Wright if he is struggling.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

They said on the telecast that Castro was out of options. That true? If not I would send him to AAA and keep Araujo.  JoelyRod has an option. Send him down when Cobb is ready or better yet DFA Wright, and keep him.

Brach

Givens

O'Day

Bleier

Araujo

Cortes/ Wright SP until Cobb is ready

Joely Rod

Not true. They wrong.

Archived