Love this quote from Cobb

Frobby

On how other pitchers aren’t comfortable at Camden Yards: “I’m one of those pitchers. I don’t have a very comfortable feeling when I think about that ballpark, but I believe that’s because of the lineup I have to face every time I go in there. It’s going to be very nice to be able to go there and know that I’m not going to face that lineup and I’m going to have that defense behind me, so I really can’t answer that question until I get a taste of that what’s going to be like.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/hearing-from-cobb-showalter-and-duquette.html

I've always felt, a pitcher shouldn't care if he wins 5-4 at OPACY vs. 3-2 at Tropicana Field.    The goal is to pitch well enough for your team to have a good shot to win the game.   An I expect Cobb to do that more often than not.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just listened to the radio interview with him and he really sounded like he's not a fan of pitching in Camden Yards, haha -- but he did say he's looking forward to the home crowds and having the Orioles lineup on his side.

For him, having pitched so many times in Tropicana Field, it must feel like Yankee Stadium here.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say good things about my new teammates.  Like how they play good defense.

Of course, but you pretty frequently hear comments by players and analysts praising the Orioles offense. In reality the offense has been average to slightly below average consistently. 

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

Of course, but you pretty frequently hear comments by players and analysts praising the Orioles offense. In reality the offense has been average to slightly below average consistently. 

Depending on which metrics are used. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Impact dongs?

Must be. Home runs = great offense. Nevermind if your ballpark inflates them and you do nothing else well.

and defense hasn’t been a strength for 3 years. I do think that will be better this year, though.

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I am going off wRC+, they’ve ranged between 96 and 104 since 2012.

Sure. And I understand that is widely acclaimed. How did that metric treat the Royals offense when they won the World Series? And seriously. I have no idea. Or the White Sox when they won theirs. 

7 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I am going off wRC+, they’ve ranged between 96 and 104 since 2012.

I know that Hardy and Caleb and their replacements really put the average down. And I do prefer a homer-centric team and home field. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure. And I understand that is widely acclaimed. How did that metric treat the Royals offense when they won the World Series? And seriously. I have no idea. Or the White Sox when they won theirs. 

Those teams won by preventing runs, not scoring them. And it has them as slightly below average offenses those years, because they were.

Archived