No WJZ games this year

interloper

11 hours ago, NattyO's said:

How can you do that since the MLB.TV app uses GPS? How do you get around that on an Android phone? Turn of the GPS? idk

I read an article that (at least a year ago) allowed Android users to disable GPS or location services while using the MLB-TV app and At Bat. But with Apple products, there’s a prompt that comes up that says one must use location services to use the app, thus allowing the app to block you if you are in the team’s market area. I tried two VPNs last year here in NC and they worked for two months. From early June onward, MLB was on to me and I could only watch 90 minutes after the game was over, never live. Sucked, as I was able to watch on my Apple TV as well. I had dumped my sports tier on DirecTV so I could have the games on any of my devices (iPhone and iPad). I was terribly pissed after shelling out $119 or whatever it was for that, then having to add the sports tier with MASN to watch the games live again.

There are two or three threads about this if you’d want to get into detail. I think two from last year and one this spring. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, atomic said:

They should go back to having most road games on free TV.   A lot of people will grow up not watching baseball as they can't afford cable.   

That's the truth. Wish it'd go back to the way it was. Before all this cable crap I could get Saturday afternoon baseball. 

As others have mentioned, I believe this to be a poor decision on the O's part as well. I don't understand this move especially after such a tremendous one to allow kids 9 and under to attend free with a paying adult. This is a lateral move that will not allow certain fans to watch a O's game at the comfort of their home. 15-20 games may not sound like a lot, but when you don't have cable that 1 televised game a week or so is even sweeter. Baseball wants more kids involved in the game; hard to do when a bunch of them won't even be able to watch a single game.

Very short sighted, really too bad all around.

When I was a kid we couldn"t afford cable. I watched the road games on TV and home games on radio.   When I became an adult I went to hundreds of games even having season tickets at one point.   I think this short term obsession with cable is going to kill baseball in theology term.   You can watch every Ravens game for free.  I am sure it is a reason football has passed baseball as the top American sport. 

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

When I was a kid we couldn"t afford cable. I watched the road games on TV and home games on radio.   When I became an adult I went to hundreds of games even having season tickets at one point.   I think this short term obsession with cable is going to kill baseball in theology term.   You can watch every Ravens game for free.  I am sure it is a reason football has passed baseball as the top American sport. 

There will be no football as we know it in 15 years. Adapt or die. 

45 minutes ago, atomic said:

You can watch every Ravens game for free.  I am sure it is a reason football has passed baseball as the top American sport. 

Exactly -- absurd that every Ravens game is on local broadcast TV and only about 1-2% of Orioles reg season games will be.  I thought the arrangement with WJZ was very reasonable.  Local fans who chose not to get cable could view roughly one game per weekend on broadcast tv (just like with football). 

1 hour ago, O's are Legends said:

15-20 games may not sound like a lot, but when you don't have cable that 1 televised game a week or so is even sweeter.

Exactly, and it's just enough to keep interest in the team.  It's garbage that people in the 1950s and 1960s had more access to televised Orioles games without having to pay extra for it than we do today.  

The Ravens comparison is a fair one. We get to watch every game... preseason, home or away on broadcast tv. Now with the Orioles we get to watch no games unless we pay. It just doesn't seem very fan friendly or goodwill boosting. Not every fan of the Orioles has cable. 

What's the theory behind this move to stop broadcasting a few free games? MASN feels poorer folks don't deserve to be O's fans? This move sounds like something Trump would do. lol

2 hours ago, atomic said:

When I was a kid we couldn"t afford cable. I watched the road games on TV and home games on radio.   When I became an adult I went to hundreds of games even having season tickets at one point.   

When I was a kid, cable didn’t even exist.    In the DC area, you couldn’t  watch more than about 10-15 games a year on TV.

OHHHH my god whaaaaaa So much crying! Go on stubhub you can buy tickets for a lot of games for $10 plus if you have kids you can bring 2 in for free. Buy a amazon fire stick and do some magic to it and youll get every game as long as you have internet. I dont know anyone that doesn't have cable. Go to a bar its never been so easy to see orioles games. Im not rich far from it but I can afford the cheapest 13 game plan and have cable. Who only watches 15-20 games on wjz only. The people that say the ravens are on for free. Its only 20 games a year not 162. cbs and fox pay millions to show those games they wouldn't make more money back showing mlb games. Everyone wants things for free now!  

6 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

As others have mentioned, I believe this to be a poor decision on the O's part as well. I don't understand this move especially after such a tremendous one to allow kids 9 and under to attend free with a paying adult. This is a lateral move that will not allow certain fans to watch a O's game at the comfort of their home. 15-20 games may not sound like a lot, but when you don't have cable that 1 televised game a week or so is even sweeter. Baseball wants more kids involved in the game; hard to do when a bunch of them won't even be able to watch a single game.

Very short sighted, really too bad all around.

Were any of the Angelos sons or PR office folks taking questions at FanFest? This decision would have been a good one to ask them to explain. Sometimes I wonder if they even know what the fans are saying and requesting in regards to the in-market blackout. We want to give them our money. 

Archived