Orioles batters lead the AL in strikeouts.

Natty

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

They lead the entire MLB in strikeouts. They have 18 more strikeouts than the next team. 127 Ks for the Orioles, next highest is the Astros at 109.

We’ll see if that continues.    Could be partly a function of the pitchers we’ve faced, or a slump.  Last year we were 4th highest in the AL, so I’d be surprised if we were suddenly highest by a wide margin at the end of the year.   It’s true, however, that several of the changes to this year’s team involve guys who strike out a lot. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ll see if that continues.    Could be partly a function of the pitchers we’ve faced, or a slump.  Last year we were 4th highest in the AL, so I’d be surprised if we were suddenly highest by a wide margin at the end of the year.   It’s true, however, that several of the changes to this year’s team involve guys who strike out a lot. 

I think we have a chance at the all time record. Last year we didn't have a full season of Beckham or Rasmus. If we can only keep them in the lineup with Davis & Trumbo... magic can happen

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Beckham is alarming. 

Beckham is not that good. If Flaherty was here he’d be better with the glove at 3rd and with the bat. Beckham is a guy we had to worry about how he felt moving to 3rd?  He should be a utility guy like TB wanted. 

Hes only on pace for  291 strikeouts. Sure hope he isn’t mad about playing 3rd. 

Rasmus over Jon Jay is a disturbing decision. We could have promised Jay full time ABs the next two years. There was room. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think we have a chance at the all time record. Last year we didn't have a full season of Beckham or Rasmus. If we can only keep them in the lineup with Davis & Trumbo... magic can happen

Could be close.   If you assume Rasmus replaces Seth Smith, that should add 20-25 strikeouts.    Beckham replacing Hardy and Tejada from last year, that adds another 50-55.    We might pick up a few K’s from Joseph/Sisco instead of Castillo/Joseph.    We were 126 behind Tampa last year, so it could be close.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Beckham is not that good. If Flaherty was here he’d be better with the glove at 3rd and with the bat. Beckham is a guy we had to worry about how he felt moving to 3rd?  He should be a utility guy like TB wanted. 

Hes only on pace for  291 strikeouts. Sure hope he isn’t mad about playing 3rd. 

Rasmus over Jon Jay is a disturbing decision. We could have promised Jay full time ABs the next two years. There was room. 

Beckham: .745 career OPS

Flaherty: .649 career OPS

I’ll take Beckham offensively, thanks.    11 games of data means almost nothing.    

But hey, Flaherty has a .974 OPS now and is third in the NL with his .375 BA.

Markakis is playing great too.  He's going for four years in a row in Atlanta with a higher OPS than he had either of his last two years with the O's.

Seems like our guys move to the NL and start killing it.   Arrieta's Cy Young, etc.

But all that aside, I agree that Beckham will have a higher OPS than Flaherty when the season ends.  

Archived