Cortes is DFA'd, Ramirez brought up

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

If you look at the video above where he shuffles his feet, the 93 mph shows in the box.

OK, I’ve looked at his Pitch f/x numbers from both years.    He maxed out at 93.7 in his last outing.    Last year his top was 91.9.    In either event, he doesn’t sit there.    But having a little extra velocity in his back pocket is certainly useful to a guy like Cortes who can add and subtract.   

7 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

But, Cortes supplied a legal delivery.

Unlike Carter Capps, who jumped off the rubber and illegally re-planted his drive foot prior to release. How was he ever allowed to get away with that blatantly illegal delivery?

Same way NBA players carry the ball on about every other drive to basket or take 5 steps.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If anything hurt his chances with the O’s it was the elimination of him messing with timing, and the reduction of using multiple arm slots.

But we didn’t really hear whether he was told to do that, or just did it on his own, correct?     

14 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Same way NBA players carry the ball on about every other drive to basket or take 5 steps.

No. There is Capps with his illegal delivery and maybe  one other pitcher blatantly breaking the rules. The rest of the league pitchers do not replant their push off foot six feet in front of the rubber. Trying to equate what nearly all NBA players do (carrying) to what one pitcher does is a poor comparison.

18 hours ago, AceKing said:

Not understanding...are you saying these deliveries are illegal and shouldn’t be allowed?

I think Cortes' delivery and all the Japanese pitchers' herky-jerky deliveries are fine and in accordance with baseball rules. 

If Capps had not been re-planting his back foot after pushing off of the rubber -- an irrefutable breach of the rules -- his fastball would have topped out in the low 70s. What I don't get is why he didn't start hopping a third time since the umpires were letting him get away with his illegal second hop.

22 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

And if you can't adjust to a leg stutter in whiffle ball and feel compelled to complain about it, I have some disparaging names to call you...

If you watch that vid on twitter, you will see that those guys are the most suckful whiffle ball players I have ever seen. They should be embarrassed posting that video.

And he displays game records against his father and other friends along with the number of home runs he has hit against each opponent. OMFG! Too funny, in an absurd way.

btw: Dude is 150 wins, 152 losses against his fatherImage result for lmao

23 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

But, Cortes supplied a legal delivery.

Unlike Carter Capps, who jumped off the rubber and illegally re-planted his drive foot prior to release. How was he ever allowed to get away with that blatantly illegal delivery?

I've always wondered about that too. It's like the umps and officials were mesmerized and took an amazingly long time to shake out of it.

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I've always wondered about that too. It's like the umps and officials were mesmerized and took an amazingly long time to shake out of it.

On MiLB rehab, opposing teams were screaming "illegal" from the dugouts at Capps' pitches. But minor league umpires concluded Capps had his own extra, invisible rubber, 54 feet from home plate. MLB umps followed suit, refusing to follow the rules when Capps returned to the majors from injury.

9 minutes ago, LA2 said:

MLB ultimately took action prior to the 2017 season:

Over the winter MLB and the MLBPA finalized the new collective bargaining agreement, and during negotiations, the two sides effectively outlawed the jump step delivery. The new rule sounds like it was written specifically for Capps:

An addition to Rule 5.07 formalizes an umpire interpretation by stipulating that a pitcher may not take a second step toward home plate with either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of the pitch.  If there is at least one runner on base, then such an action will be called as a balk under Rule 6.02(a).  If the bases are unoccupied, then it will be considered an illegal pitch under Rule 6.02(b).

-CBS Sports

• 2 years later...

Necro-post, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.   Cortes has turned into a pretty respectable major league starting pitcher, posting a 2.90 ERA last year after bouncing around from 2018-20.   He really had the O’s flummoxed yesterday with his soft toss assortment and various deliveries.  I can’t say we made a mistake not keeping him in 2018, but he’s pretty much the guy Luke envisioned he could become when Luke was taking up Cortes before the 2017 Rule 5 draft.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Necro-post, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.   Cortes has turned into a pretty respectable major league starting pitcher, posting a 2.90 ERA last year after bouncing around from 2018-20.   He really had the O’s flummoxed yesterday with his soft toss assortment and various deliveries.  I can’t say we made a mistake not keeping him in 2018, but he’s pretty much the guy Luke envisioned he could become when Luke was taking up Cortes before the 2017 Rule 5 draft.  

I didn't have a huge problem with returning Cortes at the time. 

But considering how patient we've been with other Rule V's with little to no talent over the last decade, it would have been nice to see us give him a longer leash to see if he could stick.