You are the Assistant GM: Trade Manny exercise

Tony-OH

Team or teams (if a multi-team trade) involved:  Machado to the Mets for Amed Rosario and David Peterson.

Why this team would be willing to pay a bounty in order to get Manny's services for the rest of the season: Rosario was a top prospect but has been disappointing since getting promoted to the Mets the last couple of months of 2017.  Machado would be a major upgrade for a team that finally has its pitchers healthy but could use another middle of the order hitter.  The Met have plenty of pitching if healthy and Peterson is not ready for this year.

Players in return, why they are a good fit for the Orioles and why the team would be willing to give them up:  The Orioles are going to find that no team is going give up top flight mlb ready starting pitchers like Buehler or Flaherty for a rental.   Peterson was the Mets first round draft pick in 2017 and the Orioles were rumored to be targeting him before the Mets picked him a couple of picks before the Orioles selection.  He is college arm so he should be ready before Hall. Rosario is a post hype sleeper that the Orioles could plug in at shortstop to replace Manny.      

I think this offers the Orioles some value and is realistic expectation.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't something I normally do so please, be gentle.  ;)

I'm targeting the Indians, they are in a win now mode and have to get past the Red Sox and Astros to reach the WS.  The Indians would be moving Lindor to second to make room for Manny so essentially Manny will be replacing Kipnis.

First off, I'm taking Kipnis back.  Yes he's terrible but he makes the move pretty much cash neutral for 2018 for the Tribe.  Slot Kipnis at second, Schoop at third and Beckham at SS for the remainder of the year once everyone is healthy.  The O's should be shedding enough payroll that Kipnis' salary can be absorbed next year.

Unfortunately the guy I'd like to headline the deal, Triston Mckenzie is hurt with a forearm issue and I don't think I could get ownership approval.

I'm targeting Yu-Cheng Chang.  He's a SS that should stick at SS and is close to ML ready.  The Indians also have Wili Castro who can come up as early as next year and fill the hole at Short or Second so Chang shouldn't be that hard to pry away.

I'm also looking at Shane Bieber the stuff is back of the rotation but the command is plus allowing the stuff to play up.  FB sits in the low 90's and can touch 96 the slider is his swing and miss pitch.

Sam Hentges is a huge (6'6) left hander coming off of TJ in 2016.  Fastball curve guy who had a promising change before the surgery.  Might be a starter, stuff should play out of the pen if that doesn't pan out.  Works in the 92-94 range and touches 97.

The Indians Round A Competitive Balance Pick (37).

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Jack Flaherty is your big piece, a guy who looks like a potential #2 and rank top 50 just about universally.. He had a taste of the bigs last year at 21 and has been successful in limited innings this far in 2018. He's a guy you can pencil into your 2019 rotation.

Yeah, St. Louis and Flaherty or Weaver would be my target. They'd toss in Gyorko and probably a young bat as well (Tyler O'Neill?). Gyorko isn't a full timer at the moment but has had recent .800 OPS seasons and is affordable.

2 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Yeah, St. Louis and Flaherty or Weaver would be my target. They'd toss in Gyorko and probably a young bat as well (Tyler O'Neill?). Gyorko isn't a full timer at the moment but has had recent .800 OPS seasons and is affordable.

I don't see Flaherty being moved.  Could be wrong, would like to be wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see Flaherty being moved.  Could be wrong, would like to be wrong. 

They've just got so much crazy depth. Even if Wainwright retires after this year and Flaherty is traded, you have the following who are MLB capable immediately. Mikolas,A.Reyes,CMart,Weaver,Wacha,Gomber,Gant,Greene,Hudson,Helsley, etc. I can't think of another team with depth that is even close to that.

Just now, Tryptamine said:

They've just got so much crazy depth. Even if Wainwright retires after this year and Flaherty is traded, you have the following who are MLB capable immediately. Mikolas,A.Reyes,CMart,Weaver,Wacha,Gomber,Gant,Greene,Hudson,Helsley, etc. I can't think of another team with depth that is even close to that.

I meant MLB capable for 2019.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The world needs ditch diggers too, son! lol

I kid, i kid. I just love being able to use that line from Caddyshack!

In order to conquer an animal, I have to think like an animal, and whenever possible, look like one.

Teams involved: Orioles trade Manny Machado and Adam Jones for JP Crawford and Kevin Gowdy

Why do the Phillies do this deal?
They're doing fairly well in a weak division. They have a young up and coming team and offensively Crawford is not much of a threat. Machado gives them a premium bat without giving up any of the defense that Crawford provides. This also gives them a chance to show Manny how serious they are about wanting to keep him on the team post-2018 and gives them a very slight upper hand in signing him in free agency. It also gives them an evaluation period of Machados character. It's hard to possibly give a 300 million dollar check to someone whose only negative is a history of a bad attitude.

You might think...a Manny rental is not enough for Crawford. I think you're right. Manny also does absolutely nothing in terms of leadership which a team like the Phillies would benefit from with such a young roster. Here enters Adam Jones. He could potentially move to RF for the Phillies or Herrera can move over, that's really up to them. This is also a bit of a move for Jones. He deserves to play for a contender and trading him early would spark a competitiveness in him I'm sure is close to dying out for the O's this season. 

Why do the Orioles want the players in return?
Crawford is a young, controllable, left handed bat who has the glove to not only stick at SS but to be an above average defender for years. We've got nothing in the minors to replace Manny once he's gone unless we want Beckham to move back. This year we've seen the real Tim Beckham and while I love the guys attitude, he doesn't seem like a guy I want to count on. Crawford fixes that. 

Gowdy is a 20 year old RHP picked 42 overall in the 2016 draft. He was immediately regarded as a top prospect in the Phillies organization but had a lot of injuries in 2017 ultimately leading to Tommy John Surgery last August. He would not be ready to play until 2018 and he is a complete roll of the dice. He has high upside but the Phillies don't expect much from him. The real prize is Crawford and the only reason I think a deal like this could be possible is because the NL East is primed for the taking right now and Crawford only has a .551 OPS as of 4/27. 

Team or teams (if a multi-team trade) involved:  Brewers

Why this team would be willing to pay a bounty in order to get Manny's services for the rest of the season:  The Brewers are SABR, scouting, and media darlings with nothing to show for a long long time. They have a tough divisional race ahead of them, without a move they could end up fourth in the division dashing all of their hopes for relevancy. Eric Sogard.  Not a guy.

Players in return, why they are a good fit for the Orioles and why the team would be willing to give them up:  

Corbin Burnes | Rank: 2 (Preseason: 2)

Team: Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA)ETA: 2019Position: RHPAge: 23 DOB: 10/22/1994Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 3" Weight: 205 lb.Drafted: 2016, 4th (111) - MILOther Lists: Top 100 Prospects (#67)

Watch

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 60 | Overall: 55

A standout in the 2015 Cape Cod League, Burnes continued to boost his Draft stock the following spring as St. Mary's Friday-night starter before going to the Brewers in the fourth round and signing for slot value. He made an immediate impact by reaching full-season Class A during his pro debut, and then emerged as one of the Minor Leagues' top breakout hurlers in 2017, much of which he spent in Double-A. Burnes ultimately finished second in the Minors with a 1.67 ERA, netting him honors as Milwaukee's MiLB pitcher of the year.

Scouts rave about Burnes' lightning-quick arm, as it produces a 92-95 mph fastball that has natural cutting action out of his hand. He pounds the strike zone with the pitch, using it to attack hitters on both sides of the plate, and maintains velocity deep into starts. Burnes' above-average curveball, thrown with a high spin rate and late, downer action, is his best secondary offering, and he also shows advanced feel for a mid-80s slider. An effective changeup that has splitter-like action in the mid- to upper-80s rounds out Burnes' four-pitch mix, all of which play up due to his above-average control.

Burnes' rapid ascent through Milwaukee's system speaks both to his overall ability as well as his capacity to make key adjustments. An improved, more efficient delivery has helped assuage concerns about the righty's durability, leaving little doubt about his ability to stick as a big league starter. If all goes as planned with his development, Burnes could take a similar path to the Majors as Brandon Woodruff did in 2017.

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 70 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Erceg transferred from Cal to NAIA Menlo College after his sophomore year and proceeded to hit .308/.351/.639 with 20 home runs. The Brewers made him their second-round Draft pick that June, and he made an immediate impression by reaching full-season ball in his pro debut after signing for $1.15 million. Erceg was challenged with a move Class A Advanced Carolina League in 2017, though, in spite of his fluctuating performance, he still delivered 15 homers and 33 doubles while ranking among the circuit leaders with 81 RBIs (first) and 207 total bases (second).

Erceg has impact potential from the left side of the plate, with natural feel to hit and plus raw power that helps him to generate booming home runs and could make him a middle-of-the-order presence in the future. Erceg has the necessary approach to accomplish that, too, though he will need to simplify his approach. Defensively, Erceg is athletic as a third baseman, with hands, footwork and plus-plus arm strength -- one that fired 93-94 mph fastballs as Menlo's closer -- that are ideal for the position. He is an average runner but not a basestealing threat.

The Brewers have long been trying to develop a homegrown third baseman, and while it's early in his career, Erceg, with his across-the-board tools and high offensive ceiling, could be the team's long-term answer.

SOU

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
BLX (AA) 20 76 8 22 5 0 1 9 7 13 1 .289 .360 .395 .755
Minors 20 76 8 22 5 0 1 9 7 13 1 .289 .360 .395 .755

http://www.baseballpress.com/team-lineups/MIL

Just now, weams said:

Team or teams (if a multi-team trade) involved:  Brewers

Why this team would be willing to pay a bounty in order to get Manny's services for the rest of the season:  The Brewers are SABR, scouting, and media darlings with nothing to show for a long long time. They have a tough divisional race ahead of them, without a move they could end up fourth in the division dashing all of their hopes for relevancy. Eric Sogard.  Not a guy.

Players in return, why they are a good fit for the Orioles and why the team would be willing to give them up:  

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 70 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

Erceg transferred from Cal to NAIA Menlo College after his sophomore year and proceeded to hit .308/.351/.639 with 20 home runs. The Brewers made him their second-round Draft pick that June, and he made an immediate impression by reaching full-season ball in his pro debut after signing for $1.15 million. Erceg was challenged with a move Class A Advanced Carolina League in 2017, though, in spite of his fluctuating performance, he still delivered 15 homers and 33 doubles while ranking among the circuit leaders with 81 RBIs (first) and 207 total bases (second).

Erceg has impact potential from the left side of the plate, with natural feel to hit and plus raw power that helps him to generate booming home runs and could make him a middle-of-the-order presence in the future. Erceg has the necessary approach to accomplish that, too, though he will need to simplify his approach. Defensively, Erceg is athletic as a third baseman, with hands, footwork and plus-plus arm strength -- one that fired 93-94 mph fastballs as Menlo's closer -- that are ideal for the position. He is an average runner but not a basestealing threat.

The Brewers have long been trying to develop a homegrown third baseman, and while it's early in his career, Erceg, with his across-the-board tools and high offensive ceiling, could be the team's long-term answer.

SOU

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
BLX (AA) 20 76 8 22 5 0 1 9 7 13 1 .289 .360 .395 .755
Minors 20 76 8 22 5 0 1 9 7 13 1 .289 .360 .395 .755

http://www.baseballpress.com/team-lineups/MIL

Starter, needed.  Thirdbaseman. Needed.

Team involved:   Arizona Diamondbacks

:  Why this team would be willing to pay a bounty in order to get Manny's services for the rest of the season :     Arizona has an excellent team that has gotten virtually no production to date from shortstop...Nick Ahmed is .197 BA and 28 years old and has a lifetime OPS of .625.  Pairing Machado with Goldschmidt in this lineup will be a monster move for their push to win it all in 2018. 

1. Jasrado Chisolm

“In the 2015 international amateur class, Lucius Fox got most of the attention regarding players from the Bahamas. But the D-backs liked what they saw in fellow Bahamian shortstop Jazz Chisholm, signing him for $200,000. A solid pro debut in the Pioneer League in 2016 had the organization excited for his full-season debut in 2017, but after shaking off a slow April with a hot start to May, Chisholm tore his right meniscus, ending his season.

Chisholm's knee is fine and he was back in time to participate at the organization's instructs in the Dominican Republic last fall. He has a ton of offensive potential to tap into, with the ability to impact the baseball consistently and plenty of raw power. He needs to keep refining his approach from the left side of the plate and it looked like he was making strides in that regard, raising his OPS by over 300 points over the 10 games in May last year before he got hurt. The D-backs are hopeful those improvements carry over to 2018 and with a better approach, more over-the-fence power should follow.

There is little question Chisholm can stay at shortstop, with good hands and actions to go along with enough arm for the premium position. As a kid from the Bahamas who didn't face a ton of top-notch competition, Chisholm could take longer to learn the approach necessary to tap into his raw tools. The D-backs are hopeful a healthy 2018 will help move him in the right direction.”    MLB. com prospect watch Pipeline

2. Taylor Widener  “ A 12th-round pick from South Carolina who signed for $100,000 in the 2016 Draft, Widener was largely a reliever in college. After a stunning pro debut pitching out of the bullpen, he moved into the rotation in 2017, finishing fourth in the system in strikeouts and sixth in ERA, then moved up to Double-A, where he finished off a playoff no-hitter. His development is now in the hands of the D-backs, who acquired him in a three-team trade in February that sent Brandon Drury to New York.  Widener's velocity ticked up at the start of his pro career, with his fastball jumping up to 93-97 mph. He continues to work on the consistency of his mid-80s slider and he's worked to refine his changeup and has had success with it. His stuff held up all year in his first full pro season and while making the transition from reliever to starter, though the Yankees kept him on a tight pitch limit. High spin rates on his fastball and breaking ball led to a lot of missed bats in 2017. Widener has an athletic delivery that he can repeat well, which should lead to solid control. He had ulnar transposition surgery on his pitching elbow in the fall of 2015 and also missed time with back and knee issues in college, but he proved to be durable over 27 starts in 2017. Even if he returns to the bullpen, he could be a useful arm. “  MLB.com Prospect watch 

3.Matt Tabor 

“A growth spurt before his senior year led to a big uptick in stuff for Tabor, sending his Draft stock rising and scouts pouring into New England as the weather warmed. He ended up landing in the third round, where the D-backs gave him an above-pick value $1 million bonus. He threw sparingly during his summer debut, but stood out as the most exciting high school Draft prospect from the D-backs' crop of high schoolers selected.

While Tabor has a ways to go as a prep pitcher from the Northeast, the D-backs were pleasantly surprised how polished and mature he was on the mound. He shows three plus pitches at times from an athletic and repeatable delivery. His fastball will touch 95-96 mph and sit in the low 90s and there's reason to believe there's more in the tank as he fills out his frame. He's already tightened up his slurvy breaking ball some into a slider that should be a very good weapon for him and he has feel for a solid changeup. He's around the strike zone and should have at least average command in the future.

Showing a good sense of what he needs to do on the mound to improve, Tabor was advanced in his ability to change tempos and deliveries to keep hitters off-balance.”  MLB.com prospect watch report

Chisolm is a potential shortstop of the future for us, Diamondbacks could make a serious play to sign Manny and would thus not need a ss.  This deal does not ask for their top prospect arm in Duplantier or top position prospect. Pavin Smith..but gives us two potential rotation arms a bit down the road. 

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

Would you trade Manny for a nominal return... if that team also took Chris Davis?  No value back but $40M freed up to buy replacements.

Davis has a lot more than 40M left on the deal.  No team would eat the Davis contract to rent Manny.

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

Would you trade Manny for a nominal return... if that team also took Chris Davis?  No value back but $40M freed up to buy replacements.

No team is eating, what, 90+ million for a rental of anyone.

We also need some young studs we can build around.

Archived