You are the Assistant GM: Trade Manny exercise

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Sisco is at least comparably valuable to anyone on that list, the Orioles would be stupid to include him.

If the Orioles want to sweeten the pot, they pay some or all of Manny's salary.

Indeed. Sisco seems to be the real deal which is why I passed over Ruiz in favor of White since pitching is what the system really needs more than anything.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Wow, you really think we could get all that even though it seems highly unlikely that LA will be able to afford Machado? That would be impressive to say the least.

Sheffield seems to have problems with control and has struggled in pro ball thus far. May is also dealing with an undisclosed injury which may be the same undisclosed injury he was dealing with last season, so perhaps there's durability concerns there as well. I do like Santana and Ferguson seems to be the best lefty in their system.

This could get interesting if the Orioles try to pursue this. Then again, this IS the Orioles...

It might require some money thrown in by the Orioles, but let's say you are the Dodgers, you have a legit World Series contender, you lose your best position player and have a chance to replace him with the only available player of comparable value. They have Smith so they can afford to lose Ruiz, they have pitching depth, they can afford to lose White. That's the center of the deal, Lux and Bannon aren't causing anyone to balk.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It might require some money thrown in by the Orioles, but let's say you are the Dodgers, you have a legit World Series contender, you lose your best position player and have a chance to replace him with the only available player of comparable value. They have Smith so they can afford to lose Ruiz, they have pitching depth, they can afford to lose White. That's the center of the deal, Lux and Bannon aren't causing anyone to balk.

Turner is trying to come back from a broken wrist as well. If he can't regain his form quickly upon his return, that could really put the pressure on. I wasn't much concerned about Lux or Bannon though I do like Lux's speed and patience. Provided nothing serious is going on with White, I'm with you on this. The Orioles would certainly have the leverage, but I also don't expect the Dodgers to panic just yet. If they were to make a deal in May, I'm sure they know they'd have to surrender a haul. Perhaps not as big a haul in July. I guess it depends how well the Dodgers do from here on out. You are right that Machado is the only comparable player they can get, that's for sure. It seems the Dodgers only have $15M of cap space, so the Orioles would have to pay some of Machado's salary at least if LA wants to remain under the cap.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Verdugo, White, Lux and we pay enough of Manny’s salary that they can stay under the payroll tax. 

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Verdugo, White, Lux and we pay enough of Manny’s salary that they can stay under the payroll tax. 

I like my version better, but that also makes sense and is reasonable for both sides IMO.

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Sisco is at least comparably valuable to anyone on that list, the Orioles would be stupid to include him.

If the Orioles want to sweeten the pot, they pay some or all of Manny's salary.

Right. That's right.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Right. That's right.

Phillies should be involved as well. After spending on Arrieta, Santana, and relievers the Phillies should be inclined to try and compete this year if possible (even though their targeted window probably starts in 2019). They are off to a solid start, they have a weakness at 3B/SS. They have the money to make a legit play for Manny beyond 2018. Their FO has familiarity with Manny.

It'd be hard for the Diamondbacks to win a bidding war against either the Phillies or the Dodgers.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Phillies should be involved as well. After spending on Arrieta, Santana, and relievers the Phillies should be inclined to try and compete this year if possible (even though their targeted window probably starts in 2019). They are off to a solid start, they have a weakness at 3B/SS. They have the money to make a legit play for Manny beyond 2018. Their FO has familiarity with Manny.

It'd be hard for the Diamondbacks to win a bidding war against either the Phillies or the Dodgers.

With the Dodgers now at least having a definite need, a bidding war would lead me to revisit my suggested proposal from the Diamondbacks...Now I would ask for Duplantier, Chisolm and Widener. 

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I’m not sure a team can avoid the luxury tax threshold by having another team pay part of a player’s salary.     Obviously teams eat salary in trades all the time; I’m just not sure the luxury tax calculation is affected.   Otherwise, it would be pretty easy to play games with this.  

On 4/28/2018 at 7:31 PM, allquixotic said:

I walk into the war room, notice that Drungo's computer has BSOD'ed and Frobby's second monitor is flickering, and quickly break out my advanced IT skills. I replace Frobby's DisplayPort cable with a spare, bringing him back into the fight, then update Drungo's graphics driver so his rig can handle 3 monitors reliably without crashing.

Then I make my way to the tech pit and join an IT operations guy there, who's worriedly looking at a display of a Nagios dashboard showing a load factor of 4.85 on the CPU of the server that's streaming the night's games to the monitors. I SSH into that server and notice that it has been misconfigured with a barnyard2 rule to write every single incoming packet to a SQL database for logging purposes... which is taking a ton of CPU and disk resources. I reconfigure barnyard2 to only write data to SQL when it matches a Snort rule, and the CPU load factor is down to a manageable 1.10. A few seconds later, the quality of the Norfolk Tides game streaming to one of the big central monitors switches from 720p quality to 1080p because the server can now handle it and automatically adjusts the quality.

Satisfied that I've put out the immediate fires, I then head to the back office to join the data scientists and see if they need any infrastructure or coding support as they build and analyze mathematical models of the most favorable trading moves for each possible sequence of wins and losses from now til Memorial Day.

Oh. I'm supposed to be an assistant GM? Whoops. I guess I took the "roleplaying game" in an entirely different direction. I honestly have no clue what to trade. Just give the team subdermal injections of some of Hawk Harrelson's "Will to Win" and everything will fall into place. Or something. ;)

At worse we'll hire you as our It guy!

On 5/1/2018 at 1:45 PM, Frobby said:

I’m not sure a team can avoid the luxury tax threshold by having another team pay part of a player’s salary.     Obviously teams eat salary in trades all the time; I’m just not sure the luxury tax calculation is affected.   Otherwise, it would be pretty easy to play games with this.  

Actually, If Kemp were counting as his whole deal, I think the game is already blown. Are you certain?

On 4/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, Luke-OH said:

I've watched some of them (video, not live). Keibert was a guy I had my eye on from the 2016-2017 offseason, I was talking about him as a target during the 2017 deadline.

This is deal that I think would be fair to the Dodgers (not asking for their near ready blue-chippers Verdugo, Buelher) and a haul for the Orioles.

Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon. I've watched plenty of video on all but White. I'd be ok with a different pitcher instead of White (Santana, Sheffield, May).

Bannon (3B) was one of my favorite under the radar draft prospects for the 2017 draft. Lux has 1st round pedigree and is a solid middle infield prospect.

Wanna expand on this?

Archived