You are the Assistant GM: Trade Manny exercise

Tony-OH

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Was glad to see a brewers offer in here.  They are a team that needs a SS, has prospects to spare (particularly in the OF) and has a history of going for it and trading for players they won't be able to keep.

Manny for Brett Phillips and Luis Ortiz.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I trade Manny to the Dodgers for Verdugo, White, May and Bannon.

after that everyone is available including Bundy and Mancini.

When Schoop and Britton get back and are reasonably effective they are also.

You would have to add Mancini to Manny to get that package.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I trade Manny to the Dodgers for Verdugo, White, May and Bannon.

after that everyone is available including Bundy and Mancini.

When Schoop and Britton get back and are reasonably effective they are also.

That package makes the Chapman++ for Britton talk last year look tame IMO.  I don't know what it is after today but as of yesterday, Verdugo made contact on 23 of 24 swings on balls in the zone.  So when he swings its never flailing.  He's 21 with good speed, ++arm, and a good option as a leadoff hitter with 6 years of control.  White is a premium talent if he can stay healthy (which makes him very tradable).  DMay I think zooms up the charts this year.

Manny is a monster, don't get me wrong, but his salary and his projected WAR for the rest of the year relative to the Dodgers standings just doesn't make sense for any package.  The Dodgers built great depth.  That depth is being tested.  It's not that I don't think Manny doesn't deserve a big package.  It's more that I don't see a fit.

7 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

You would have to add Mancini to Manny to get that package.

No not really!

The Dodgers have to do something quick or watch their season go up in smoke.

The Orioles should be able to get 1 top 100,  a fringe top 100, and some lower prospects.

Their top 100 guys are Buehler who isn't going anywhere , Verdugo, Diaz, and White at #99.

Diaz is a catcher and I doubt we'd focus on a catcher. 

So the legitimate prospect has to be Verdugo. May is a mid 11 in their system and Bannon is #30

@Hotdiggity Chapman got 2 top 100 plus two other MLB parts. The Orioles should now be rebuilding and MLB parts aren't needed. I doubt the Dodgers would want to move those types of players anyway.

For me the Dodgers other position prospects are lackluster. They could go pitching heavy with White,  May,  Ferguson, and Bannon. But you'd think we could get one close to ready position player.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:52 PM, Tony-OH said:

Wanna expand on this?

Not sure how much I have to add. It's hard to get a feel for what teams are willing to part with these days. I basically just wrote up the only trade that I was pretty sure would be acceptable to the team acquiring Manny and also would make me happy.

Ruiz is a 19 year old catcher who is already in AA. He's got great feel to hit with a quick bat. He's going to hit, how much power and how good he is defensively behind the plate will determine if he's an average (2 WAR) catcher or an all-star.

Lux is a SS who should hit a little bit, he doesn't really have a plus tool but is solid across the board.

Bannon is a guy who was dominant in college, but got overlooked due to funky swing/leg kick and being undersized. He's shown that his power plays in his pro career so far popping 18 home runs in just 66 games. There is some swing and miss concern and he's not a defensive asset from what I've seen, but he could be a 50 hit, 60 power 3B if things go right, so that's solid upside from a 4th piece.

36 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No not really!

The Dodgers have to do something quick or watch their season go up in smoke.

The Orioles should be able to get 1 top 100,  a fringe top 100, and some lower prospects.

Their top 100 guys are Buehler who isn't going anywhere , Verdugo, Diaz, and White at #99.

Diaz is a catcher and I doubt we'd focus on a catcher. 

So the legitimate prospect has to be Verdugo. May is a mid 11 in their system and Bannon is #30

@Hotdiggity Chapman got 2 top 100 plus two other MLB parts. The Orioles should now be rebuilding and MLB parts aren't needed. I doubt the Dodgers would want to move those types of players anyway.

For me the Dodgers other position prospects are lackluster. They could go pitching heavy with White,  May,  Ferguson, and Bannon. But you'd think we could get one close to ready position player.

Verdugo is currently a major leaguer batting .380 w/ an OPS over 1.000. He is on the team and will be needed to help them win. They are not going to give him up, plus other prospects, for a rental.

You’d have to go back in a time machine to pre-2017 to get a deal like this.

48 minutes ago, nadecir said:

Verdugo and Buehler are both contributing big time for the Dodgers now.  Buehler pitched 6 innings in a combined Dodgers no-hitter last night.  I imagine both are untouchable now.

You might be right. I didn’t even consider Buehler as an option.

The Dodgers have a ton of OF, 1B, and catching prospects. They are good prospects if you like 30% strikeout rates. 

I think the Orioles should move away from that type of player.

To find infielder prospects you have to look toward the bottom of their top 30.

Perhaps the Orioles would accept the other package I mentioned or one with 4 pitchers. But you’d think they’d want a position player. 

It will depend who else they are dealing.

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You might be right. I didn’t even consider Buehler as an option.

The Dodgers have a ton of OF, 1B, and catching prospects. They are good prospects if you like 30% strikeout rates. 

I think the Orioles should move away from that type of player.

To find infielder prospects you have to look toward the bottom of their top 30.

Perhaps the Orioles would accept the other package I mentioned or one with 4 pitchers. But you’d think they’d want a position player. 

It will depend who else they are dealing.

Keibert Ruiz had a 13% K rate between A and A+ last year as an 18 year old catcher, he's struck out 8% so far this year as the 3rd youngest player in AA (only older than top 10 prospects in baseball Vlad Jr and Tatis Jr).

Lux is a <20% K rate guy.

Bannon is around a 20% K rate guy as well.

As far as the "looking at the bottom of their top 30" thing, prospect evaluations are fluid, especially with players in the lower minors.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Arizona has a competitive balance pick which is the 35th pick.  Maybe we could get them to throw that into the mix.

I do like that idea, this draft is particularly deep in that range. (It's the 39th pick now though, I believe)

Archived