154? Or Less?

weams

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/990346060571856897

https://theathletic.com/329995/?shared_by=51693

[A]t one point revealing that the topic of a 158-game season actually made it to the “bargaining table” in the negotiations leading up to the 2011 labor agreement. In 2016, MLB actually did some extensive research on the potential effects of a 154-game season due to a suspicion that the players might bring it up, but the union apparently didn’t bring it up; they were focused on other issues.

While eight games might seem like a trivial percentage of the season, it could actually pose a significant reduction in revenue for MLB clubs. According to statista.com, the Yankees brought in about $278MM in ticket revenue during the 2017 season. A 5% reduction in games would mean losing out on nearly $14MM in ticket sales, not to mention they’d be worth 5% less in terms of a television contract.

I don't see need to shorten number of games.   If you want shorter season schedule double headers.   They could have two games every Saturday.  Day night double headers every Saturday and then have every Monday an off day.  You could shorten length of season while giving players more days off but still play same number of games. 

4 hours ago, DRJacobs said:

The wild card needs to be out of 3. 154 has been the answe for a long time but as long as they don’t add more teams for now. I think this is a terrific solution to many issues.

So the teams that win their divisions can sit for a week and accumulate rust?

I love the one and done wildcard format.    It puts a premium on winning the division to avoid being subject to the randomness of a one game playoff.

I think it’s a fallacy that reducing the season by 8 games would result in a proportional reduction in revenue.    These games in cold weather that would be eliminated don’t draw as well as mid season games.  So there will be a revenue loss, but it’s not as simple as dividing 8/162 and applying that to total revenue.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love the one and done wildcard format.    It puts a premium on winning the division to avoid being subject to the randomness of a one game playoff.

I think it’s a fallacy that reducing the season by 8 games would result in a proportional reduction in revenue.    These games in cold weather that would be eliminated don’t draw as well as mid season games.  So there will be a revenue loss, but it’s not as simple as dividing 8/162 and applying that to total revenue.    

You state this all well. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Seriously.  You remove a combination of week day April games and a few Mondays and you're not losing 5% of ticket sales.  Who wants to go to a ball game on a Monday?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Does the NFL have 1/10th the revenue of MLB?

14 minutes ago, BarclaySouthway said:

Seriously.  You remove a combination of week day April games and a few Mondays and you're not losing 5% of ticket sales.  Who wants to go to a ball game on a Monday?

I'd love to.  If the game wasn't two hours away and cost $30 a head and ended at 10:00pm.  If I could walk to the park and pay $5 or $10 to see a two-hour game I'd go to any number of Monday games.  

Archived