Adam Jones - "Hopefully we can go 20-4..."

TonySoprano

The 1969 Orioles had a 17-4 run in June in a 21-6 month.  In 1970 , they had 3 months with 20+ wins including a 44-15 finish from August through October.  Add to that the postseason, and 1970 ended on a 51-16 record.  1971 included a 20-9 June, and ended with a 20-9 September.

20-4 this month would put them one game over .500.  One.  Four teams already have 20+ wins including 2 in our division.  The Orioles have to win 2 games just to get into double digits.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t even count the number of times the Orioles were accused of being disinterested, lackadaisical or worse during various losing streaks over the years.     BRob doesn’t run out grounders, blah blah blah.

I don’t think the team is disinterested.    Just extremely frustrated.    And that doesn’t help anything.   

I think part of the makeup of elite athletes (not all of them)  is the ability to compartmentalize adversity and block out distractions and focus on the job at hand. But losing does take a toll and frustration is indeed part of it. And yet, some do have lapses in focus due to frustration. But I think more care than not. But I think we’ve all been in jobs at one time or another when the leadership of the organization or perhaps co-workers wear us down and we’re tired and burned out / mentally exhausted by 1pm every day and we’re coasting till 5pm. And baseball, while a child’s game, can be a hell of a grind with 162 games over six months. It’s like no other sport. Losing magnifies everything. 

24 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Hopefully Adam gets his .239 OBP up so we can trade his ass. Extending him is the type of brain dead move this moron organization loves making.

Wow, I knew he was really bad this year but I didn't realize it was that bad. Even Davis has a significantly higher OBP than Jones.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

When I hear Adam talking about being aggressive, I think of him flailing away at low and outside sliders.

As did I, which led me to turn "being aggressive" into a question.  How's that worked out so far?  Being aggressive, to me, means not working the count, leading to quick innings.

17 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Wow, I knew he was really bad this year but I didn't realize it was that bad. Even Davis has a significantly higher OBP than Jones.

Tied for third worst in the majors with players with at least 90 at bats. Has walked twice.  I am sure it well get better but that would equate to about 10 walks for the year.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Lets face it. They just don't have the personnel. Davis is completely lost and may not even find it again at this level, His bat is slow and his approaches are the same. Adam is fading and will be 33 years old this summer. Gentry and Santander probably wouldn't  make another teams roster let alone start.The second base situation will hopefully end with Schoop returning...but he wasn't hitting either. Third base is a nightmare no matter who plays there. Joseph is just not a major league hitter and hasn't been for some time.You have Tillman and Wright or Castro as your 5th starter as your option...and its a virtual guaranteed loss.Then theres the shaky performances with Brach and DOD's long ball issues.Givens has been spotty..and really only Bleier has been dependable.....this is just a very flawed team. We had some great times with some of the teams from 2012 until 2016....the last two seasons were a horror. It won't get much better.Hard to watch.

Roy - Do you think that Dan and Buck wanting to keep these "core" guys together for so long has hurt us now?  I know we  did dabble on some Free Agent pitching but not lets get crazy and say that any of the guys that we signed/traded for (Miley, Gallardo, Ubaldo, etc.) were decent signings.  Most of the bats were AAAA fodder. 

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Lets face it. They just don't have the personnel. Davis is completely lost and may not even find it again at this level, His bat is slow and his approaches are the same. Adam is fading and will be 33 years old this summer. Gentry and Santander probably wouldn't  make another teams roster let alone start.The second base situation will hopefully end with Schoop returning...but he wasn't hitting either. Third base is a nightmare no matter who plays there. Joseph is just not a major league hitter and hasn't been for some time.You have Tillman and Wright or Castro as your 5th starter as your option...and its a virtual guaranteed loss.Then theres the shaky performances with Brach and DOD's long ball issues.Givens has been spotty..and really only Bleier has been dependable.....this is just a very flawed team. We had some great times with some of the teams from 2012 until 2016....the last two seasons were a horror. It won't get much better.Hard to watch.

Since his 3 days off to work on things CD has been on base 6 of 11 PA 

.375 .545 .375

.920    Just sayin'.

9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Since his 3 days off to work on things CD has been on base 6 of 11 PA 

.375 .545 .375

.920    Just sayin'.

Yeah, Boss Buck dealt him a real Cool Hand to get his mind right

Any man who doesn't hit against the shift gets a night on the bench

Any man whose batting average ain't on the interstate gets a night on the bench

Any man who starts the season 3 for 37 gets a night on the bench

Someone on the team needs to show some leadership in calling out his teammates for their poor play, and maybe that is happening in private.  The problem is that usually it's the veterans' job to be the team leaders, and this team's veterans are also some of the biggest underachievers, so they have little standing to call anyone out.  

There is a mystery about this team to me.  This team won more games than any other team in baseball from 2012-2016.  They were contending for the wildcard through September 1 of last year.  Since then they have been the worst team in baseball, playing at a .250 clip.  What happened last September to make this team fall off a cliff?

Archived