Palmer sounds like he's had enough.

Santandah

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Some of that is in the source I cited in the previous post, which includes this:

Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

Here's another citation: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I would include Buck's inflexibility in assigning roles to his relievers, the way he uses platooning, his tendency to rely on match-ups even when the quantity of the data is very small, and his use of players based on his perceptions of their no-longer-applicable skills. I can't recall hearing or reading about Buck explaining or defending a decision in a way that led me to think, "Yeah, that makes sense. I never thought of that." Or "That's the first time I've heard of those facts, or those data, or that way of looking at things."

Do you regard Buck as a guy who as GM would be open to considering novel ideas, information, inputs and perspectives in evaluating players, making drafting and trading decisions, and thinking about how to assemble a successful team? Maybe you do; my best guess is that he wouldn't operate that way. Or maybe you don't regard that as an important quality in a GM. I do.

I don't understand why they blocked DD from leaving if they would take all of these personnel decisions out of his hands.  What's the point of a GM?  Either give the job to Buck or let Dan Duquette do it but it seems right now there are at least FIVE people required to make these decisions and the impact of that gridlock has become obvious.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I don't understand why they blocked DD from leaving if they would take all of these personnel decisions out of his hands.  What's the point of a GM?  Either give the job to Buck or let Dan Duquette do it but it seems right now there are at least FIVE people required to make these decisions and the impact of that gridlock has become obvious.

It's simple.

Peter isn't letting Dan go to a competitor without compensation because he's under contract.

Peter isn't going to trust Dan because he tried to go to a competitor.

You just need to be in the right frame of mind and it makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's simple.

Peter isn't letting Dan go to a competitor without compensation because he's under contract.

Peter isn't going to trust Dan because he tried to go to a competitor.

You just need to be in the right frame of mind and it makes sense.

That makes sense but operationally it's just ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Pedro is not a fielder.

May have to have something instead of Kids Cheer Free.Fans Jeer Free.Otherwise,no one at the Royals games.All fans get in free and jeer at the player who plays worst. 

Adults Drink Free. 

I have difficulty watching the O's on tv when they're playing this poorly so I've been listening to a lot of Joe Angel and whoever is teamed with him but I did watch today and wow, Dempsey is going off. Has the Demper been this heated for a while now? Obviously, Palmer wasn't pleased either when Tom Davis was talking to him. This was the most dejected post game show I have seen in a while. Buck looked like someone who hadn't slept in 48 hours when interviewed by Hunter. Bad times for the O's. Very sad to watch.

Palmer: "when you can't score on offense and don't play defense you're going to lose a lot of games"

Dempsey "they are truly looking like the worst team in baseball"

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cal must have been as blind as a bat if people with blue eyes can't see well.

That point has been made in some of the reports of Buck's view. 

The relevance of all this, to me, is that Buck, as a manager, seems to approach decisions by seeing how the issue fits within a set of rules and preferences that he has developed over his many years in baseball. That may be fine for a manager. but I want a general manager who confronts problems and makes decisions by asking what information and facts exist, or can be developed within the organization, testing and probing that information, and figuring out with the use of those tools what decision -- along the other decisions I've made and planned to make -- will be best for building a team that will win games. I don't see Buck doing that. I have my doubts about Brady Anderson approaching  decisions that way, but that's really just a guess.

3 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I have difficulty watching the O's on tv when they're playing this poorly so I've been listening to a lot of Joe Angel and whoever is teamed with him but I did watch today and wow, Dempsey is going off. Has the Demper been this heated for a while now? Obviously, Palmer wasn't pleased either when Tom Davis was talking to him. This was the most dejected post game show I have seen in a while. Buck looked like someone who hadn't slept in 48 hours when interviewed by Hunter. Bad times for the O's. Very sad to watch.

Palmer: "when you can't score on offense and don't play defense you're going to lose a lot of games"

Dempsey "they are truly looking like the worst team in baseball"

Bordick does the games on TV this week Maybe they beat the Royals a few games.Bordick quotes will be "it is not for a lack of trying .The coaches are the hardest working in the business." Beat the Royals a few."This may turn the season around with Schoop now healrhy." 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Bordick does the games on TV this week Maybe they beat the Royals a few games.Bordick quotes will be "it is not for a lack of trying .The coaches are the hardest working in the business." Beat the Royals a few."This may turn the season around with Schoop now healrhy." 

Good coaching can’t overcome terrible roster construction. Where are the small waiver wire moves to try?  DD might as well be in Siberia. Brady is too busy pretending to be a player. 

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I kind of agree with Wildcard.   I do not see the Orioles going into a total rebuild.   They have invested in Cashner and Cobb and have Bundy and Gausman with possibly Harvey being ready for 2019.   That should be a competitive rotation.     I also don't see Buck ending his time with the O's on a 90 or 100 loss season if he has any say in the matter.    If we believe the reports, Brady/Buck/John Angelos are the decision makers and seem the the triangle of trust.    They are probably responsible for a significant part of the current team.   They aren't going to want to scap the whole thing and start over as they probably think they don't want to admit they've screwed up as bad as it looks.   They'll deal Manny as they have little choice but they will hold onto to Schoop, Gausman, O'Day, Givens.    The big question is what they will do with Adam Jones.

Bingo we have a winner...

On 5/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, spiritof66 said:

Some of that is in the source I cited in the previous post, which includes this:

Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

Here's another citation: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I would include Buck's inflexibility in assigning roles to his relievers, the way he uses platooning, his tendency to rely on match-ups even when the quantity of the data is very small, and his use of players based on his perceptions of their no-longer-applicable skills. I can't recall hearing or reading about Buck explaining or defending a decision in a way that led me to think, "Yeah, that makes sense. I never thought of that." Or "That's the first time I've heard of those facts, or those data, or that way of looking at things."

Do you regard Buck as a guy who as GM would be open to considering novel ideas, information, inputs and perspectives in evaluating players, making drafting and trading decisions, and thinking about how to assemble a successful team? Maybe you do; my best guess is that he wouldn't operate that way. Or maybe you don't regard that as an important quality in a GM. I do.

Buck is an idiot.   The eye color thing is another form of racism.  I am sure there have been hall of fame players with green and blue eyes.   Hampton probably did worse in day games than night games because he stays out late partying.  

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

Buck is an idiot.   The eye color thing is another form of racism.  I am sure there have been hall of fame players with green and blue eyes.   Hampton probably did worse in day games than night games because he stays out late partying.  

Mike Trout has gray eyes that are pretty light. You wouldn't want to waste a draft pick on Mike Trout. 

Archived