MLB Trade rumors on Orioles overhual .

HOF19

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t see the Orioles dealing the Gausman’s and Bundy’s of the world.

That is why they need to try to lock them up long term. If you aren’t going to deal them then keep them here long enough to win with. 

You are right they won't. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If O's extend Schoop an one of those infield position is filled.   FA can cover the others if they don't get them in trading Manny, Britton, Jones and Brach.

You are really not giving the O's much credit for their upside.

The four horsemen dont deserve any  credit. They've screwed up this once proud organization. 

I tend to think that the OH overvalues their prospects.  Mullins looks like he could be pretty good, through the rosiest of orange glasses.  Hays looks like he could be pretty good through the rosiest of orange glasses.  Stewart still gets a big whatever from me.

I mean, Mullins is hitting .248 with a lower OBP in his 2nd go-round at AA.  I know, I know, small sample size.  Austin Hays is hitting something like .235.  It's his second go-round in AA.   Mountcastle looks like he swings at everything...matter of fact, all our guys do, you'd think we'd have some kind of way to help young talent with OBP skills.  Meanwhile, Vlad Jr. is going berserk.  Our guys just don't stack up to the competition.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about us trying to justify our minor league talent when most publications have us ranked south of 20 and for good reason.  Subtract emotion, hope and orange colored glasses from the equation and take a good look at what we've got down there.  

I skimmed the article, but it seems fair.  This thing is a giant mess and it's going to take way, way way more than our B level prospects that we somehow think are the second coming of Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle.  

The Orioles are a year or two too late to sell off what they should have and re-stock their system with other teams prospects.  Lord knows they can't do it themselves and like to fight with one hand behind their back (international market).  

Here's to the next decade of misery.  Don't worry, we got through it before, we can do it again.

50 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The only person in that group you will definitely get any value for us Manny. Britton will have to come back and be dominant, that’s not a oven. Jones has been in obvious decline and is expensive. He’s been awful so far this season. He’s a salary dump only right now. Brach is struggling and is a rental.

Its not July yet.   This team can play better.  Schoop added to the middle of the lineup can be productive along with Manny.  Schoop will help sure up the defense.   Rickard will probably be better than Santander has been this season.  Trumbo may get hot.  He may play a lot for first base that will help his hitting.  That could help Jones hit better.  Britton as closer  helps Brach and O'Day by putting this in their setup roles. 

This team is playing a lot of players in roles they are not used to.   That could change with the return of Schoop and Brittton.

Just now, wildcard said:

Its not July yet.   This team can play better.  Schoop added to the middle of the lineup can be productive along with Manny.  Schoop will help sure up the defense.   Rickard will probably be better than Santander has been this season.  Trumbo may get hot.  He may play a lot for first base that will help his hitting.  That could help Jones hit better.  Britton as closer  helps Brach and O'Day by putting this in their setup roles. 

This team is playing a lot of players in roles they are not used to.   That could change with the return of Schoop and Brittton.

Part of you thinking this team can get better revolves around Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

Joey Rickard.

One more time.

Joey Rickard.

Even if Schoop and Trumbo get hot somehow, this team is looking at 60 wins, best case scenario.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I tend to think that the OH overvalues their prospects.  Mullins looks like he could be pretty good, through the rosiest of orange glasses.  Hays looks like he could be pretty good through the rosiest of orange glasses.  Stewart still gets a big whatever from me.

I mean, Mullins is hitting .248 with a lower OBP in his 2nd go-round at AA.  I know, I know, small sample size.  Austin Hays is hitting something like .235.  It's his second go-round in AA.   Mountcastle looks like he swings at everything...matter of fact, all our guys do, you'd think we'd have some kind of way to help young talent with OBP skills.  Meanwhile, Vlad Jr. is going berserk.  Our guys just don't stack up to the competition.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about us trying to justify our minor league talent when most publications have us ranked south of 20 and for good reason.  Subtract emotion, hope and orange colored glasses from the equation and take a good look at what we've got down there.  

I skimmed the article, but it seems fair.  This thing is a giant mess and it's going to take way, way way more than our B level prospects that we somehow think are the second coming of Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle.  

The Orioles are a year or two too late to sell off what they should have and re-stock their system with other teams prospects.  Lord knows they can't do it themselves and like to fight with one hand behind their back (international market).  

Here's to the next decade of misery.  Don't worry, we got through it before, we can do it again.

My guess is the Buck will have  a big role in acquiring players going forward.  He put together a 100 win team in Arizona.   He will stay manager but have a lot of say in who the O's acquire.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I hope the potential trade chips play well, otherwise I am fine if the team keeps losing. They are already finished for anything resembling competing this season. They need to be bad enough to rebuild. It’s what is necessary.

Just now, wildcard said:

My guess is the Buck will have  a big role in acquiring players going forward.  He put together a 100 win team in Arizona.   He will stay manager but have a lot of say in who the O's acquire.

I love Buck.  I am an unabashed Buck fan.  

That said, i do think it's time for him to go.  I don't want him trying to acquire talent.  For all his in game smarts, he strikes me as a guy who'll stick to old school ideas about evaluating talent.  Like I think he thinks it'd be a good idea to give someone at age 32 a 125 million dollar contract for 5 years. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

That was 20 years ago.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like he already does. It’s not going well.

Compared to the best teams in the majors, our young talent just does not stack up.  You have to have very good young talent to win in baseball today.  The Orioles don't have the financial resources to pay the market price for each WAR, especially with our own Chris Davis tax for the next several years.

If you don't use the international market to acquire good young players, you are left with the draft or trades.  You can only go so far with the draft.  This means the Orioles have to use the trade market to acquire very good prospects.  Waiting until our best players become expensive, or worse rentals, is too late to trade them to get the best prospects from other teams.

This article is spot on.  The Orioles need to move our own major leaguers in their prime, when their value is highest to acquire some jewels for our farm system.  Bundy Gausman, and Schoop among others should be traded soon for prospects.

Only the most die hard fan can see how the Orioles can compete in the AL East for the next few years.  The Yankees, Red Sox and even the Blue Jays are leaps and bounds better than the Orioles right now, and to boot, they have much better players in their systems under the age of 25.

I agree with trading Schoop. He'll be at peak value if he can get back to what he was doing last year and he's not likely to re-sign. I'd be much less willing to part with Bundy, Gausman and Givens but the writer does have a point that the Orioles are unlikely to contend before those guys get to free agency so they should at least listen. This is going to be a long, hard road back to contention. This thing didn't get this bad overnight and it's not going to fixed overnight either.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree with everything you said here about overvaluing our prospects. Get whatever we can for the guys who have value to restock the farm, hopefully get the #1 pick in the draft, for once invest in the Latin market, and pray for some kind of long term direction from the warehouse.

One thing is for sure, if the next GM/Manager doesn’t put a value on OBP & some speed on the basepaths, I’m not sure how much longer I can follow this team. This one dimensional offense filled with all or nothing power hitters hacking away with no plate discipline and record strikeouts is too painful to watch.

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Schoop is gone after 2019. You deal Bundy and Gausman before they get expensive because when they do your still rebuilding. This is a no-brainier in my opinion.

What if you sign them to contract extensions? 

I like Wildcard, but you are overly optimistic about what this team has coming. 

The Davis deal will make it very difficult to do a whole lot in FA moves and extensions for current players.

I'm not convinced that either of the OF prospects ever amount to a major league regular. I guess they could be adequate as fielder's and maybe rely on power from the infield...maybe. That would put the O's in a position of needing 4 infielders via free agency. That's a tall order.

Archived