TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

29 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

In an intelligent organization, they would try to target a young assistant GM from a team that has successfully rebuilt recently, like the Astros, the Cubs, or the Braves.  It's like in college football, if you're a struggling Power 5 program, you look for a guy who is a successful coach at Boise State or Houston, one of those guys who build their program from nothing.  Call the assistant GM of the Indians, Braves, or Cubs.  If they turn you down, call the assistant to the assistant at one of those teams.  

So like when we tried to hire Jerry Dipoto and then Tony LaCava in 2011 and they both turned us down?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got the time to read this.  Great piece. 

To me the most disturbing anecdote that Tony cites is the one involving Brady, Mike Wright, Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti.  What kind of an arrogant fool is Brady to think that he knows more about pitching than two pitching coaches?  And what kind of arrogant fools higher up in the organization thought that it was a good idea to trust Brady's judgment about a pitcher over the opinion of two pitching coaches?  No wonder Dave Wallace left.  

After reading this article, I have no confidence that Brady Anderson will be able to rebuild the Orioles.  None.  

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did he punt it or was he prohibited from making moves of consequence while the process was ongoing?

This 100%,

DD had a trade lined up to be completed at the Winter Meetings and it never happened. My memory says Matuz for Snyder who later cost us Tarpley and Brault (sp?).

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think there are a couple of answers to that question.   

1.   Timing.    The market for what relief pitchers get paid changed a lot in the 2014-16 period.  When Miller was signed, $9-10 mm was considered closer money.   The O’s had a closer, and they also had O’Day and Brach.   They just didn’t have the money to spend on a non-closer, and their bullpen had been quite good even before they acquired Miller (and, remained quite good after he left).    Resources seemed scarce and the O’s just had other priorities.

By the 2015-16 season, the market had changed quite a bit.   Top set-up guys were making more money than before.    Losing O’Day would have put a pretty good sized hole in their bullpen.    And, there probably was some loyalty factor involved, compared to Miller.   O’Day has been there four years, had been great the whole time, and was considered the leader/mentor of the bullpen.    And for the record, in his four years with the Orioles to that point, he had a 23-8 record with a 1.92 ERA, including 1.52 ERA in the just-concluded season.

O'Day was also ranked #5 of all MLB relievers by The Shredder (attribution: C_o_c) following the 2015 season. Many teams would have liked to have signed him @ 4/$31MM (attribution: Frobby)

3 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Name a single player Brady advocated for or move he was involved in that has worked out.  They've all been miserable failures.  Reimold. Frickin Mike Wright.  The ABOMINABLE CHRIS DAVIS CONTRACT.  Re-signing Mark Trumbo.  Must I go on?

Sure, Cobb might work out.  And Cashner has been an ok piece.  But everything leading up to those moves that Brady has done according to this article has been an utter disaster!  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Brady changed Mancini's batting stance in Bowie and it resulted in more power.

I’m also going to defend Brady on Reimold a little bit.    So far as I recall, the time Brady stuck up for Reimold was in the 2010-11 offseason, when he told MacPhail not to trade Reimold for Jason Bartlett.     Instead, MacPhail made a much better trade for JJ Hardy.   The following year, Reimold posted a .781 OPS for us, getting the game-tying hit and scoring the game winning run in the season finale where we knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs.  He was off to a .960 OPS start in 2012 before getting seriously injured.   So, in my book, Anderson was right about Reimold in that 2010 trade discussion, and I’m not aware of any subsequent role he had in other decisions about Reimold.

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

O'Day was also ranked #5 of all MLB relievers by The Grinder following the 2015 season. Many teams would have liked to have signed him @ 4/$41MM

Then why didn’t they?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do to his wife's career I think O'Day was pretty picky about where he would be willing to pitch.

Of course I also don't think a large line of teams were lining it up to give him 4/41.

Including us — we’re paying him 4/$31 mm.   I’m sure O’Day would have jumped ship at 4/$41 mm.

Miller got 4/$36 mm so it’s not really accurate to say O’Day got the same contract as Miller.   Plus, Miller turned down 4/$40 mm from the Astros, so there’s no saying Miller would have stayed with the O’s if they’d matched the Yankees.

Archived