Orioles Prospect Hotsheet/Power Rankings

Luke-OH

Great report. Thanks for putting this together. 

Looking for clarification on semantics here. Akin is looking like a 4/5 starter. Baumann's "floor of profile is solidfying" and Dietz is potentially "looking like a rotation piece." Are all of these basically the same thing: Backend starter potential? Akin is ranked higher due to age/level/track record, but all could be similar upside? 

Thanks again. 

6 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Great report. Thanks for putting this together. 

Looking for clarification on semantics here. Akin is looking like a 4/5 starter. Baumann's "floor of profile is solidfying" and Dietz is potentially "looking like a rotation piece." Are all of these basically the same thing: Backend starter potential? Akin is ranked higher due to age/level/track record, but all could be similar upside? 

Thanks again. 

Baumann has mid-rotation upside with a low probability. His floor solidifying means, he’s looking more and more like he’ll at least be a relief piece.

Dietz has some real upside, the guy sits 95+, and could have two above average offspeed pitches. Most people had him as a reliever before this season. I think he has made the case that he’s a backend rotation prospect even with fringe command (which is what I project for his command). If his command really improves, the upside is bigger than almost anyone in the system, but it’s tough to project that type of improvement with his mechanics and age.

Akin is the lowest upside/ceiling of the three, but I think he’s the highest probability of the three to be a rotation piece. He’s also much closer to MLB ready with a target of mid-2019 or maybe sooner. He also has a high floor as a solid 7th inning type reliever in my view. That’s why he is where he is.

6 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Mason McCoy is batting .359 in his past 10 games

McCoy being older with an advanced bat, I expect to hit, walk plenty, avoid strikeouts in Low A. He hasn’t really changed his profile for me, he’s looked good defensively from a range and hands perspective but his arm is just ok for SS. 

I didn’t ding him for the slow start and I haven’t bumped him for his hot streak.

Unless I see more present power, he’ll have to perform at higher levels to move significantly.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

I think keeping Reyes in A ball is moronic. But the Orioles are great on ineptitude. He can handle AA ball. 

He's rockin' a 566 OPS in A ball this year.

He's got six extra base hits to date.

If he wants a promotion he can start dominating where he is at.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's rockin' a 566 OPS in A ball this year.

He's got six extra base hits to date.

If he wants a promotion he can start dominating where he is at.

Tough love COC. What motivates one person, doesn’t motivate another.

Managing people will teach you that.

5 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Tough love COC. What motivates one person, doesn’t motivate another.

Managing people will teach you that.

What makes you think I've never managed people?

He hurt himself last year and he's struggling this year.

I'm not rewarding that, that isn't the message I'm sending everyone else.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What makes you think I've never managed people?

He hurt himself last year and he's struggling last year.

I'm not rewarding that, that isn't the message I'm sending everyone else.

Your response makes me think that:) Different strokes for different folks.

Agree to disagree. I was shocked he didn’t start at Bowie and still think he belongs there.

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Your response makes me think that:) Different strokes for different folks.

Agree to disagree. I was shocked he didn’t start at Bowie and still think he belongs there.

I would have been a lot more OK with him starting at Bowie than I would be promoting him now.

Archived